• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Yep, I'm here. Fuck me I thought i'd put a bullet through my head, but... here I am. I got my new DJ toys, and it turns out the software (SeratoDJ) is worlds better on mac for it (go figure) so a friend gave me his old polycarbonate macbook, 2ghz, for speccing\building his new PC. Anyway, the 2ghz is only JUST at minimum specs, and I'd like to tweak a little more. As an Atomican I'm not silly enough to think the macbook has a BIOS to allow overclocking, and I know the multiplier is locked anyway. What I'd like, is something to tweak the FSB, even by a little. 2.1ghz would give me that little bit of headroom above minimum specs, but for the life of me I cant find something to tweak my FSB from within mac (and im not quit *nix savvy enough to do it in terminal, if theres even a way). These laptops ARE software overclockable, if you bootcamp them, they overclock quite well in windows, reportedly, but I'm having issues with the 'mac' thing. On a related note, I'm having trouble finding a default Daemon list, like services.msc for windows, to disable features I dont want. This isnt a 'macbook' as much as its a 'DJ Only Computer'. Thanks all! Scythe. ps. anyone who has a snow leopard ISO as this thign didnt come with CD's, would be great. I assume Piracy isnt much an issue since hackintoshes dont use vanilla disks....

Edited by Master_Scythe, 27 September 2013 - 12:21 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

With all due respect, because I know you like to tweak things, but if you plan to use this to DJ, then overclocking it is not a good idea. The polycarbonate macbooks have marginal cooling, and start to sound like a vacuum cleaner when you stress them. Mine would easily get up to 80 externally when rendering or watching flash videos. External cooling pads helped, but only marginally.

That's my advice, which has been learned through some bitter experiences. You want everything to be as stable as it possible to get it if you want to use this to DJ.

Since I also know that you will ignore my advice, here is a tool that will allow you to change the FSB: http://downloads.net...t-clock-dep0qi/ That's the best you can do with a Mac.

Edited by tastywheat, 27 September 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I acknowledge your warning, and expectedly ignore it. But appreciate you dispensing said advice regardless :) Ive seen some MASSIVE temperature drops from replacing all pastes with AS5, and since I'll have it in bits putting a 7200RPM hdd in there, I may as well improve the cooling. Now to find conmpatible ram. FUCK macbook ram.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
I acknowledge your warning, and expectedly ignore it. But appreciate you dispensing said advice regardless :)

Ive seen some MASSIVE temperature drops from replacing all pastes with AS5, and since I'll have it in bits putting a 7200RPM hdd in there, I may as well improve the cooling.

Now to find conmpatible ram. FUCK macbook ram.

Kingston stuff works well in my experience. Go for the stock variety, with standard timings. I'm pretty sure your motherboard will only support a max of 3GB given the era of that processor speed, but I could be wrong.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

nah it'll do 4GB but i'm going to 2.5GB. I just looked up a table of results, the extra 512mb of ram is better than having matched 1gb sticks :)

#6 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Uh. It's just RAM... My last 3 MacBook Pros all had RAM upgrades from Umart, just bog standard DDR2 and 3 SODIMMs.

Services: http://www.cyberciti...c-osx-services/

Edited by SquallStrife, 27 September 2013 - 09:19 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#7 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Uh. It's just RAM... My last 3 MacBook Pros all had RAM upgrades from Umart, just bog standard DDR2 and 3 SODIMMs.

Services: http://www.cyberciti...c-osx-services/

Don't listen to him Scythe. You gotta get the ones dipped in unicorn semen or it just doesn't fuckin work.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

I know that from experience Tick. Tried about 5 brands on my mates iMac and none worked. If it doesnt have the right latency p rofile, it wont even boot. But I found some transcend that will work :) its just $47 a stick :(

#9 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

It would appear that sarcasm is lost on you MS. Honestly, I have never bought RAM from Apple. It's only ever been after market and usually sourced via MSY. Kingston's website has a great tool for looking up their exact matching RAM. I also recall once having pulled RAM from a Toshiba laptop that went straight into an iMac. I don't know where your 5 brands came from but I don't share your experience in incompatibility. FWIW, trying to source RAM for some Acer L480 PCs recently required a "special order" because no normal SODIMM would work.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#10 mudjimba

mudjimba

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

What model MacBook do you have? Brands shouldn't matter. 800Mhz DDR2 won't work if it requires 667Mhz DDR2 on the non unibody models, they don't down step. You'll be limited to 2x 2GB sticks on these to. The '08-'10 unibodys should support 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz. If you really want to know, post your SN.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

It would appear that sarcasm is lost on you MS.

Honestly, I have never bought RAM from Apple. It's only ever been after market and usually sourced via MSY.

Kingston's website has a great tool for looking up their exact matching RAM.

I also recall once having pulled RAM from a Toshiba laptop that went straight into an iMac.

I don't know where your 5 brands came from but I don't share your experience in incompatibility. FWIW, trying to source RAM for some Acer L480 PCs recently required a "special order" because no normal SODIMM would work.

in the iMac we tried EVERY brand umart stocked. Had to go to apple in the end. :(

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

that OC app doesnt support my macbook :(

#13 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

in the iMac we tried EVERY brand umart stocked. Had to go to apple in the end. :(

I've had 3 Apple machines: A polycarbonate macbook, 27" iMac and 17" unibody Macbook Pro. For all three, I've bought off the shelf ram from umart. I'm guessing you were going for ram with non-standard timings, which reiterates my previous point. Tweaking rarely results in a net benefit. Machines have specifications for a reason, arrived at through engineering. The Celeron 300 A's and Athlon 600's were rare exceptions to the rule, and those sorts of exceptions almost certainly don't apply to Apple.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Nah its a fact with apple, in about 2005 and scared a lot of people since. Their UEFI locked RAM to a certain timing, with no leeway. If the ram didnt have whatever that perculiar timing was, it would show a picture of RAM, with a '?' on it and not boot. I tried TEAM initially, then replaced it with Kingston, then tried Corsair, and then went to Apple. It was all standard RAM at the correct speed; just no latency profile correct for said machine I guess. Just google 'macbook' and 'Ram' and you'll see hundreds of people trying, failing, and sharing what works.

#15 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

Just google 'macbook' and 'Ram' and you'll see hundreds of people trying, failing, and sharing what works.

I'm not disagreeing that Apple are assholes when it comes to ram, I'm just suggesting that you might not have done your research before trying 'EVERY' brand that Umart stocked. I haven't experienced any problems installing 3rd party memory.

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

yeah, in 2005 there wasnt a lot of different models of DDR2 sodimms available. Remember those imacs used sodimms. I really did go through all the big boys before going 'nope'

#17 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

A 2005 iMac would have been a PowerPC G5. There was a lot wrong with that chip, I bet RAM picky-ness was one of the issues.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#18 Vanne

Vanne

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

What model MacBook do you have? Brands shouldn't matter.
800Mhz DDR2 won't work if it requires 667Mhz DDR2 on the non unibody models, they don't down step. You'll be limited to 2x 2GB sticks on these to.
The '08-'10 unibodys should support 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz.

If you really want to know, post your SN.

dont recon thats entirly true, sure it doesnt step down, but if you leave one of the 667 mhz ones in there it will step down the other :)

found that out the hard way.
**** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 **** 64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE READY. LOAD "HALO2",8,1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users