Photo

The latest roundup of new Apple products!

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

So last night, Apple gave another presentation and announced some more products!

They've released 2 new iPads which are the iPad Air, and the iPad Mini with retina display.

Along with that, they've released the new OSX: Mavericks and some updated MacBook Pro's.

The new MacPro is also available on the store for some ridiculous amount of money!

I'm keen on the new iPads!

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

really? A$ 598? I flipped through the specs, I don't own one, but I'm exposed to them daily. Using some quite obscure design, art, and CCTV type uses. I'm yet to see one lag\bog down, so the 'performance' isn't a seller for me. I believe 'The New iPad' was able to go to iOS7? So that didn't do it. Dual antenna, is that new? If so, well that's kinda nice, but I thought transfer speeds were quite impressive regardless. and less than 500g? cool. The only thing that impresses me is the weight. I think apple really did die with Steve Jobs, he used to innovate things, even if I wasn't a fan. Now they're rehashing old ideas. Maybe I'd be less cynical if I saw them used more for business and less for $600 gaming devices. Dunno. Really, its cool and all; and I'd be excited if it actually WAS new, but its just a lighter version of something we already have, to my eyes.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 23 October 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Finally, decent multi-monitor support. Upgrading ASAP. I think public perception of Apple not being innovative anymore is because a) Everything now leaks well before it's announced, and b) Apple have started announcing things well before they are released. 64-bit architecture in a mobile device is a pretty big innovation, even if the impacts aren't immediate. The relatively seamless transition from 32 - 64 appears to be taken for granted, when in the background, that must have been a shitload of work.

#4 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Finally, decent multi-monitor support. Upgrading ASAP.

I think public perception of Apple not being innovative anymore is because a) Everything now leaks well before it's announced, and b) Apple have started announcing things well before they are released. 64-bit architecture in a mobile device is a pretty big innovation, even if the impacts aren't immediate. The relatively seamless transition from 32 - 64 appears to be taken for granted, when in the background, that must have been a shitload of work.

Which one are you getting?

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Probably took a bit of work, but not as much as you'd imagine. Multi monitor is interesting, but I'd call niche market. Purely because every use ive seen is to mirror the screen for the sake of presentations etc.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Which one are you getting?

The new mini would be very nice, but I've had to switch to android due to Apple's app restrictions. I'm developing an app to control drones, which Apple has specifically banned.

Multi monitor is interesting, but I'd call niche market. Purely because every use ive seen is to mirror the screen for the sake of presentations etc.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the sort of multi-monitor support Windows has had since XP. With OSX, it's been a pain in the arse to run two monitors if you also use spaces.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Right, yeah thats kinda cool. But is it software\ios7? will it gome to 'The New iPad' as well? (still cant believe they went with that name, lol). Sometimes I hate that I was a trained apple salesman. My heart was never in it, lol.

#8 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Unfortunately, nothing to do with iOS7 or mobile devices. It's one of the new features of OSX Mavericks.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

ah, and Mavericks is free; so yeah thats value :P Still isnt exciting me about the ipads... lol

#10 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Just updated to Mavericks, liking it so far. I joined my SSD and Optibay hdd into a fusion drive, which has made file management much simpler.

#11 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Jesus. Looks like the Apple Tax™ has made a comeback. Taking into account the exchange rate and GST, Apple are asking for $611 AUD more for the base Mac Pro model in Australia compared to US prices. A bit of that would be due to shipping, seeing as they're being assembled in America, but still...

#12 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

There must be such a small market for the Mac Pro's. Being so expensive, I would be surprised if there is a huge demand for them.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Especially considering those who "Need that power!" and cant write it off to their work, are likely the same people who can build an OC'd i7 hackintosh.

#14 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Especially considering those who "Need that power!" and cant write it off to their work, are likely the same people who can build an OC'd i7 hackintosh.

You would never, ever use an OC'd hackintosh in a professional environment.

A good designer, editor, sound engineer or 3D artist is worth >$200 per hour. Each and every crash would be costing you at least $50 in lost productivity. Lose 5 hours in the lifespan of the machine, and you've lost any economic advantage gained. If a component fails, even on the off chance that it's covered under warranty, and you've lost at least $800.

Check out the prices for Dell or HP workstations, and you'll see they're around the same price. And businesses happily pay the price, because it makes economic sense.

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hence why I said "Who cant write it off to their work"

#16 pumpjockey02

pumpjockey02

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Scythe I have actually waited for these new macs to play games, what is it like reading journals, books on the mini as I am pretty sure I will get one, GTA V purchase 79 dollars, + 600 for my new mini. Scythe I have actually waited for these new macs to play games, what is it like reading journals, books on the mini as I am pretty sure I will get one, GTA V purchase 79 dollars, + 600 for my new mini.

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well sure, every product has its exceptions, and target market, otherwise why would it be build, PERIOD. There are plenty of strengths to a Mac, which will make me argue on its side, but gaming sure isnt one.... why have you waited to GAME on them? Way better for cheaper in the PC realm. Steam is on LINUX now too. MacOS installs on PC hardware (unofficially). Why did you wait?

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

MacOS installs on PC hardware (unofficially).

So sick of people saying this as if it's a legitimate option.

Yes, you can wrestle OSX on to clone hardware, but much like Linux on an iPhone, it's more trouble than it's worth, even just so you can say you did it.

Edited by SquallStrife, 25 October 2013 - 08:12 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Install the latest build, install drivers. Done. It takes no wrestling anymore. Go try.
Or better yet, get a build designed for a laptop thats available off the shelf. 100% working guaranteed.
Only wall you'll hit, is if no ones written drivers for your stuff (think oldschool linux installs) but just check your HW before hand. It certainly doesnt need to be a clone machine.
Besides its an afterthought for those who like the software, I'm hardly preaching it, chill. I woldn't mention it outside a modding\geek community.

Regardless, this is only relevant if you want MacOSX, which pales in usability next to Ubuntu IMO.
being a purely windows guy, and literally 'trying' OSX and Ubuntu for about 3 days each, I still don't see the OS appeal of a Mac.
Unity is way nicer and easier to use, and IMO ubuntu was more usable OOB. Mac needed programs installed.
Hardware sure, very nice, but not at that price. Apple tax'd to hell.

No ones gonna agree with me, I'm in the apple section doing what sounds like badmouthing apple (not the case).
But do take heart that I'm happy to admit where apple has its strengths, and DO recommend them to certain clients; but in this case, to me, there's nothing to see here.

Mavericks is cool and free, otherwise, nope.

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've tried many times, using vanilla media, iAtkos, and others. It always comes back to the hardware support being a series of hacks, I always end up running into oddness like front panel audio not working, occasionally not getting hardware acceleration for display (but it'll work after a reboot), no support (or broken support) for non-onboard audio, and so on. I could probably get it working, but I don't have the time. It's fine if you're just mucking around, but I'd never ever ever ever suggest it as a reasonable alternative to buying a Mac, or running Windows/Linux on a clone machine. Re this so-called Apple tax, that's been pretty well debunked in this section. You may pay more for the same herp derp nerd specs (like CPU, RAM, etc), but when you look at the whole package (including software, aesthetics, battery life for portables, peripherals, customer service, etc) compared to buying a clone from Dell or even your corner computer shop, the value is quite comparable.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users