Photo

The latest roundup of new Apple products!

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Make it bigger, and you have to increase it's cross sectional area to avoid it deforming from small knocks. It's a balancing act, and Apple have designed it for general use. I'm pretty sure this is what The Tick was getting at, but you appear to have missed his point?

#102 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Make it bigger, and you have to increase it's cross sectional area to avoid it deforming from small knocks. It's a balancing act, and Apple have designed it for general use.

I'm pretty sure this is what The Tick was getting at, but you appear to have missed his point?

When doesn't he?

I believe a 1mm (which shrunk from 2mm I see), may offer a nominal amount of protection and dismisses the people out there who don't want it or don't need it.

Just to put it out there, Apple actually already build this in, but it's only about 0.25mm. Since the iPhone 4 and original iPad, the screen is lined with a thin rim of plastic. It's visible in this image:

Posted Image

Unless you're in a sandy environment (?!), putting your phone or tablet face down on a flat surface won't scratch the screen. Increasing this lip wouldn't necessary result in better protection, without increasing the size of the whole phone/tablet.

iPhones literally set the standard in design circles for phone design. The attention to detail is unparalleled, which is afforded by a product design cycle philosophy that allows for 2 years between major updates. They're not designed to be dropped without a case. If you think this is a potential problem for your situation, get a case for it. Problem solved. My iPhone 4 has survived without a case for 3 years without damage, and only a few minor scratches caused by accidentally putting it in pockets with keys. I'm not sure a plastic Android phone would have survived as well, and there were no non-plastic options available at the time of purchase.

Umm ... no, the screen still sits flush to a flat surface. I believe it was a protruding edge which would mean the screen would be slightly recessed.

Dont feel bad, No one ever does, lol. Everyone underestimates the true pleasure I get from a good debate :)

I don't feel bad. I do feel kind of retarded though after reading your last reply considering the effort I actually put in and realising it wasn't going anywhere, but I guess that's what happens. Like an earlier definition of yours I questioned, I would suggest you look up what a debate actually is but .... errrg there I go again. I replied and everything.

Edited by The Tick, 12 November 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#103 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Umm ... no, the screen still sits flush to a flat surface. I believe it was a protruding edge which would mean the screen would be slightly recessed.

It's possible the design was changed and I haven't noticed, but it was a feature that I remember discussing on design forums when the iPhone 4 was released. It's also present on my brother's 4S, but not his iPad 3. You can't see it at 0.25mm, but if you run your fingernail across it, you can feel it. Press your nail firmly against the screen, and then try to push it off the edge.

#104 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

I ordered the iPad Rerina today for my gf for Christmas. Apple released it today very quietly which is probably due to the constraints on hardware.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#105 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

More replies? Love it :D

Debate
verb
argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.

Its not formal; but that's not REQUIRED, just the norm. :) Don't worry you don't need to explain it to me, I already know.
Two opposing teams, consisting in this case of one member per team, are discussing in a public forum, for the judgement of each other, and our peers. /nod.
While not often used in the context I like to use it in, is is still by definition a correct description.

Make it bigger, and you have to increase it's cross sectional area to avoid it deforming from small knocks. It's a balancing act, and Apple have designed it for general use.

I'm pretty sure this is what The Tick was getting at, but you appear to have missed his point?

No, IMO, he's backpedaling now he's realised that my idea might have already been put into practice; I was simply unaware due to limited exposure to the product.
His argument was that its best designed for general use, no doubt there, but my specific idea may as well have been acid spit in his face. And apple's already done it?

NOW his argument appears to have shifted to whether or not apple HAS done this, while you have two devices you can check and say 'yes', and you say you were discussing it on the iPhone design forums, he still disagrees. /shrug. If I'm a rock, he's the hard place :P

If it has been done, then I tip my hat to the design team, and feel proud that my way of thinking was at least similar to the best selling phone in the world.

and if it hasnt? Then if it continues, its back to an argument based solely on personal opinion; If anyone expected a personal opinion based argument to go anywhere, you're tuned to the wrong channel, lol. Arguments based purely on opinion and persona life experience only ever go back and forth, but thats the whole point\fun of them! WOO!

Though tasty, if you're proven right, I bet I wont get a "oh, your ideas were right, just not to that extreme" sorta response. I've already had words put in my mouth in this discussion, and had it implied that I never get 'the point'. All quite rude for a friendly argument to relax with at the end of the day, I felt. But, maybe its just his way?

Anywho tasty; any links to the discussion on design for this? I'd be interested :)
I'll go test my google-fu now.

I don't feel bad. I do feel kind of retarded though after reading your last reply considering the effort I actually put in and realising it wasn't going anywhere, but I guess that's what happens.

Heh, yep! Glutton for punishment :P
Glad you don't feel bad, that was never my intention. Im always worried people arent having as much fun discussing it as I am; but then I guess, why would they reply?
I went to bed with a big grin on my face that someone took the time to discuss my ideas with me, even if they're disagreeing, so thanks, it means a lot to me! :)

To be fair, I don't think you should feel retarded. Without a designated judge or 3rd party jury, when does a good argument ever go anywhere, really?
Its all about sharing ideas, and why you have those ideas; and if a stalemate ensues, its about outlasting the opponent.
I think the years of cyberbullying helped with tolerance, and I have a good 10 years of eyesight left I can put into this :P

EDIT:
So far, its all assumptions, but you might be right tasty!
Update: The design illustrations almost appear to be suggesting that this could be a new slimmer future design. The entire iPhone from both the side and top views appear to only show the metal rim. If you take our cover graphics into consideration and fit them with the parts below, you're given the impression that the design could end up being a slimmer design. Under closer examination, the cover graphic may also be suggesting that there's a slight raised rim on the face of the iPhone cover. Is this to better protect the face glass of the iPhone? That would be in line with Apple's research into new means of protecting the iPhone's glass.
Source: http://www.patentlya...a-sues-sgi.html

I'll keep looking.

EDIT2:
A little off topic; but how cool are these things?!?
http://www.kickstart...ed-charging-iph

Edited by Master_Scythe, 13 November 2013 - 09:30 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#106 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Like I said Ms, agree to disagree. I agree to disagree with everything you post. Done. So how about we take a break from delusional what ifs and get back on topic?

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

#107 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

Like I said Ms, agree to disagree. I agree to disagree with everything you post. Done.

So how about we take a break from delusional what ifs and get back on topic?

Lol, "Shit a patent that might prove him right! CHANGE TOPIC!"

But yeah, OK, what topic are we going back to?

EDIT: Disagree with everything I post... that's a lot of power *hands glow* lol :P

Edited by Master_Scythe, 14 November 2013 - 09:02 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#108 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Like I said Ms, agree to disagree. I agree to disagree with everything you post. Done.

So how about we take a break from delusional what ifs and get back on topic?

Lol, "Shit a patent that might prove him right! CHANGE TOPIC!"

But yeah, OK, what topic are we going back to?

EDIT: Disagree with everything I post... that's a lot of power *hands glow* lol :P

The topic of the thread. Oh you missed that did you? Funny how that happens (a lot).

Yeah that's right. Your "genius" overwhelmed me. Feel good about it, change your underwear and stop trying to draw me back into your delusional musings.

Tell you what, I'll even make a badge for you and give it to you personally next week in QLD which states how awesome you are if you get back on topic.

#109 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'll hold ya to that offer ;) I'll add it to my bag strap! and yeah, I thought the topic was the new apple stuff, like design and therefore my (and your) opinion on it. guess not. I'll let you bring it back on topic then, sorry for derailing

#110 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

It's been over a month now and I am absolutely loving the iPad air. I ended up buying a new camera bag to accommodate it as well as the DSLR so I have the option to review photos directly from the camera through shuttersnitch. Makes for a nice and quick way of doing it when setting up for shots with the tripod and wanting a better way to review as opposed to the small screen on the camera. I have been interstate three times now and the air is definitely getting more mileage on the battery than the3rd gen. The older one used to heat up a little and while this is apparently known for that model and didn't cause any issues it always did make me a little wary. The air doesn't exhibit any of that. I have had it in and out of my crumpler bag with only the smart cover as protection. So far I haven't had any damage to the unit. The area it sits in usually has other bits and pieces floating around, including an AC adaptor for the MBP. I have also jammed it into the seat pockets on planes as well as one hard plastic type on a small plane between Brisbane and Bundaberg. Holding up very well. My only gripe about the smart cover is the limited viewing angle when standing it in portrait. When I get time I think I'll look into something different as there are a few covers now which work in a similar fashion but are better apparently.

#111 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

I bought an iPad:Mini Retina for my girlfriend for Christmas, and I must say, I am really impressed. I have never seen a crisper image on a portable device like that. It is absolutely amazing.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users