• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I am heading up to Brisbane next week for work and am contemplating packing the DSLR. Staying around the Chermside area but will have a car most likely. Any good places to go to get some after work photos?

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Depends what you're into. There's Mt Cootha, and Mt Gravatt, which both have pretty amazing views. umm.... the Kangaroo Point Cliffs offer some cool 'slice of life' shots. Theres usually a guy practicing his tightrope act, climbers, cyclists etc. If you can get into the secure allyways behind the buildings, there is ORIGINAL shopfronts, signs, and shops that havent been used since brisbane was founded. Its a truly amazing view, but its locked away. Not impossible to reach though ;) There's some neat stuff under the city if you're into urbex. Port of Brisbane does some cool photo ops IMO.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

At the end of Acacia St, Brisbane Airport, there's a viewing platform with a good view of the taxiway and runway 01/19. We get the A380 now, which is quite a sight!
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

If you can convince the front desk to let you, the back alleys on the corner of Edward and Ann St, you'll be amazed at the original shopfronts between the buildings. I know I already mentioned it, but its like a time machine trip; and its very sad they're only used for bins and junk now, but you'd swear you were 100 years back in time. Its amazing. But they're secure government buildings And yeah I didnt think of the decent plane spotting. Hmm, what else? If you want to do the touristy thing, the storey bridge climb offers a great view. Night shots from the City Ferry's offer GREAT reflection shots off the water. Southbank ferris wheel has some neat views.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 12 November 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

wat do u want to shoot? i probably can recommend a few spots, might even come out for a shoot myself :P

#6 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Not entirely sure. I am working days so whatever would represent something worth shooting in the evening or night. I rarely get a chance to get out and shoot things so I guess pretty much anything that would present something interesting I guess. If you are interested basketballfreak6 I am staying in Kippa-Ring Monday night and will be staying in Chirmside Tuesday and Wednesday night. Thursday night I have a work thing. I'll bring the DSLR and the lighter tripod.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

#7 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

hey man Tuesday is great for me since it's my RDO what time will you be free? sunset will be around 6:10-15 tides will be low so can check out nudgee beach or wellington point for sunset pending on sky/cloud cover, nudgee beach is northside so shouldn't be too far from you, can then grab a bite maybe in city or something can shoot city scape from southbank or wilson lookout and get shot of story bridge as well or city from kangaroo point where ever there are few options edit: scouting on google earth right now, if you are at kippa ring on monday you should try to get up for sunrise at scarborough, beach along landsborough avenue should do nicely and the park looking island thing sticking out from reef point cafe and surrounding the scarborough boat harbour should get you sunset sunrise would be about 4:50 so first light around 4:20am if you can get up :P

Edited by basketballfreak6, 16 November 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#8 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

hey man Tuesday is great for me since it's my RDO

what time will you be free? sunset will be around 6:10-15 tides will be low so can check out nudgee beach or wellington point for sunset pending on sky/cloud cover, nudgee beach is northside so shouldn't be too far from you, can then grab a bite maybe in city or something can shoot city scape from southbank or wilson lookout and get shot of story bridge as well or city from kangaroo point where ever there are few options

edit: scouting on google earth right now, if you are at kippa ring on monday you should try to get up for sunrise at scarborough, beach along landsborough avenue should do nicely and the park looking island thing sticking out from reef point cafe and surrounding the scarborough boat harbour should get you sunset

sunrise would be about 4:50 so first light around 4:20am if you can get up :P

I've got to say it,

First light 04:20? why, why, why, why, why, why don't Qlders have daylight saving?

ok so I know I'm typing this at 05:35 (ie the same time give or take a few minutes) but I've been up half the night pondering things and about to go back to bed...
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#9 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

what time will you be free? sunset will be around 6:10-15 tides will be low so can check out nudgee beach or wellington point for sunset pending on sky/cloud cover, nudgee beach is northside so shouldn't be too far from you, can then grab a bite maybe in city or something can shoot city scape from southbank or wilson lookout and get shot of story bridge as well or city from kangaroo point where ever there are few options

edit: scouting on google earth right now, if you are at kippa ring on monday you should try to get up for sunrise at scarborough, beach along landsborough avenue should do nicely and the park looking island thing sticking out from reef point cafe and surrounding the scarborough boat harbour should get you sunset

I've got to say it,

First light 04:20? why, why, why, why, why, why don't Qlders have daylight saving?

ok so I know I'm typing this at 05:35 (ie the same time give or take a few minutes) but I've been up half the night pondering things and about to go back to bed...

lol we did...like 20 years ago

yea it's getting freaking early, next time i go up to sunny coast for sunrise i am gonna drive up there at night and just sleep in the car until sunrise time

#10 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Sounds great.

I'm not 100% sure what time I'll be landing at Chirmside but seeing as I'm supporting retail I need to be finished by the time trade ends - 5:30 I would presume. Let me know where you want to meet, happy to go on your recommendation. I'll PM my details.

I'll be on Melbourne time so sunrise could be doable. I guess I'll see how lazy I feel. You have to understand, business travel means being away from 3 young kids which means not being woken at 5:30am :D

#11 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Big thanks to basketballfreak6 for yesterday. Man, you have given me so much to consider now. Look forward to seeing what you captured. I had a brief skim of mine and all I can say is it needs ... work :) Don't forget to send through some links to the filters you are using. Really want to attempt some sunset shots on my own now!

#12 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

hey man, was good fun catching up, here's a shot from yesterday

Posted Image
Sunset @Nudgee Beach by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

for filters you want to be looking at either lee or singh ray, only singh ray i am aware makes reverse grad tho

these are aussie carriers for Lee:
www.mediavision.com.au/Products/LeeFilters.aspx
http://www.camerapro...p;gan_data=true

you'll need adapter ring (77mm for your 24-105), filter holder (look at lee foundation kit. but don't get the filter kit tho) and look at getting 10x15cm gnd filters, i'd recommend gnd soft, forgot if lee makes a 4 stop bur if not definitely get the 3 stop, also look at some nd filters as well

all alternatively you can go all singh ray as they make both gnd and reverse grad, but dearer:
http://www.singh-ray...versegrads.html

it's expensive but go straight for 4 stop reverse grad, even if it's tempting to cheap out and go for the 3 stop

#13 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

So pretty much this:

http://www.bhphotovi...x6_Reverse.html

with this

http://www.bhphotovi..._Ring_77mm.html

and this

http://www.bhphotovi...andard_4x4.html

?

#14 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

So pretty much this:

http://www.bhphotovi...x6_Reverse.html

with this

http://www.bhphotovi..._Ring_77mm.html

and this

http://www.bhphotovi...andard_4x4.html

?

you got it :)

was just about to flick you an email to see whether or not you got the filters lol

you should look into some normal nd's as well

#15 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Just wanted to thank you again basketballfreak6. The package has apparently left Honolulu and while I am sill feeling a little sick at spending what I really couldn't afford, I can't wait to start playing with it. I grabbed a polarising filter too and while I really want to play with some ND filters, I think I'll wait to see how comfortable I am with the reverse ND setup before opting for more of that style rather than the screw on jobs. One thing I am going to do though is start packing some freezer bags and some elastic bands for the tripod legs should I find myself around sand again. Cleaning the legs of the tripod is a PITA and I am still finding sand here and there :P

#16 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just wanted to thank you again basketballfreak6.

The package has apparently left Honolulu and while I am sill feeling a little sick at spending what I really couldn't afford, I can't wait to start playing with it.

I grabbed a polarising filter too and while I really want to play with some ND filters, I think I'll wait to see how comfortable I am with the reverse ND setup before opting for more of that style rather than the screw on jobs.

One thing I am going to do though is start packing some freezer bags and some elastic bands for the tripod legs should I find myself around sand again. Cleaning the legs of the tripod is a PITA and I am still finding sand here and there :P

all good buddy, looking forward to seeing your pics with the filters

time for you to hop on the bike and ride down the great ocean road me thinks ;)

#17 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

It all arrived today :D Off to Perth next week - will be taking my stuff with me. I'll be down around the GOR (or at least to the right of it) around Christmas/ NY so yeah, will be practicing

#18 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

It all arrived today :D

Off to Perth next week - will be taking my stuff with me.

I'll be down around the GOR (or at least to the right of it) around Christmas/ NY so yeah, will be practicing

sounds awesome, there are supposedly a lot of really scenic spots in WA...looking forward to the pics!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users