• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

First light at Torquay. Clouds cock blocked the sunrise so I ended up with this instead.
Posted Image
Torquay Back Beach - First Light by MattWings, on Flickr

I had another chance to take a crack using the filter again.
Posted Image
Jan Juc - Sunset1 by MattWings, on Flickr

Off the hip shot while the kids were nagging me that it was getting too cold.
Posted Image
Jan Juc Sunset2 by MattWings, on Flickr

Sunrise the next day - trying to keep the filter clean was majorly difficult with the spray coming in.
Posted Image
Jan Juc - Sunrise by MattWings, on Flickr

Another off the hip shot after scrambling down from the rock I was positioning on for the previous shot.
Posted Image
Jan Juc - Sunrise2 by MattWings, on Flickr

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#2 smenkhare

smenkhare

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

three and four a nice. five would be fantastic with a grad nd or hdr.

#3 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Great set! 2, 4 and 5 are my favourites. Really well done. p.s. also great to see another pics thread. The more the merrier!

Edited by gabber, 29 January 2014 - 12:57 PM.

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#4 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Good stuff. No.2 is fantastic. That one grabbed me instantly. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#5 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

three and four a nice.
five would be fantastic with a grad nd or hdr.

I had the grad nd but didn't think it would work with the high positioning of the rocks either side. For that shot, I ended up sliding the filter down so the darkest part was covering the lens entirely to see what it would take.

HDR would have been a smart option now that you mention it. The 6D (when not shooting RAW) has it built in. I really need to try it one day.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

#6 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

never too late :P looks like u r starting to get a better hang of it

#7 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

All nice, but actually my favourite in No 1. Very peaceful scene, and I just like the colour.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#8 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

After seeing Mademan's effort, I went back looking for my attempt at some urban photos - so long ago learning with my 40D.

Posted Image
Untitled by MattWings, on Flickr

These were taken after the roads around Marysville were opened after the black Saturday fires. Riding through the area on the motorbike with my brother when he got a flat tyre. He disappeared back to town on my bike as we weren't getting mobile reception. I was wet, cold and had nothing to do so ended up snapping some photos.

Posted Image

Was never entirely happy with the composition of this shot and in hindsight I know what I would do differently. Maybe it's just the memory of event but it's still one of my favourites.

Posted Image

#9 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

last 2 were nicely done :)

#10 te0p

te0p

Master

• Atomican
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

last 2 were nicely done :)

I was going to say the very same thing.

#11 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

Agree with the others. Great mood in them both.

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#12 Mademan

Mademan

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

'Jan Juc Sunset1' is a really nice shot, I like how the angle and position of the camera leads you through the image towards the two figures walking along. Nice work :)

#13 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

I finally had a good chance to try the canon 70-200 f4 is usm on a recent holiday to cairns.

I sweated on this lens thinking the 2.8 (at double the weight and price) was something I should have waited and saved for. There are some distinct advantages being able to stop down to 2.8. I have to say though, this thing has impressed the crap out of me and I have absolutely no regrets. The fact that it's lighter too means it is more comfortable to travel with me.

This thing is sharp too.

Posted Image
So Hungy by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image
Golden-Orb MattWings, on Flickr

Oh and not shot with the 70-200 but I love this photo none the less.
Posted Image
Caitlyn-Cairns MattWings, on Flickr

Edited by The Tick, 18 April 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#14 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

congrats on the lens mate! the 70-200 f4 IS is a GREAT lens, IQ wise pretty much on par with my 2.8 v2, and is lighter too! you're really only paying more for the 2.8 btw heading down to melbourne in june, might catch up then if u r free :)

#15 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

congrats on the lens mate! the 70-200 f4 IS is a GREAT lens, IQ wise pretty much on par with my 2.8 v2, and is lighter too! you're really only paying more for the 2.8

btw heading down to melbourne in june, might catch up then if u r free :)

Absolutely!

#16 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Massive props to BBF. Thanks for the advice and a great day out at Melbourne Zoo.

A note to anyone wanting to take photos of butterflies - they seem to really like the orange Lowepro Sport 200 AW. I most likely now appear in many, many photos from Sunday as people managed to get up nice and close to my backpack.

These are my better ones from the day.

Posted Image
IMG_4467 by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_4459 by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_4451 by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_4422 by MattWings, on Flickr

Edited by The Tick, 09 June 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#17 Mademan

Mademan

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Yes I think the key there is that your bag is orange - they're naturally attracted to those sorts of colours. I really like the second shot, the composition and the shallow depth of field come together to focus the viewer on the butterfly's head :)

#18 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Mademan. Was quite odd watching it try and eat the back of my hand. Having the proboscis fully extended and catching it straight (he was darting left and right with it) while trying to judge the DOF manually (I was on manual focus as my lens just went off on safari and wouldn't lock on anything so was moving the camera back and forth so as not to disturb the butterfly) and handheld ... I think that shot was more "arse than class". BBF looked back over the photos as I was dropping them onto the iPad and he said: BBF "Oh, you shot these at f/2.8" Me: "yeah ... what were you shooting at?" BBF: "f/8" Felt like an idiot - that would have been so much easier. Like I said - more arse than class. Learned a lot though. Will definitely try again with composition more in mind next time.

#19 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

they look good Matt! you did well with the available light macro, not to mention nailing focus at f/2.8 and with all the people around! i hope my photos turn out ok lol it was really great catching up!

Edited by basketballfreak6, 10 June 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#20 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Was great catching up BBF. Definitely interested if you plan something up north.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users