• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

Some photos from a recent trip to Iceland.

Would love to accurately know which stars are in the first one.

15096073813_d9e54b5c72_c.jpg

Untitled

15691833596_320f97625c_c.jpg

Untitled

15691765946_1ceaa3e0d6_c.jpg

Untitled

Edited by The Tick, 17 November 2014 - 03:32 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#22 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

still hating you man lol

#23 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

Look like the Pleiades down by the telegraph pole in the right. Perhaps the big bright one is the North Star.  I'll look a the map when I'm back in Brisbane. 

Great photos of the Northern Lights, two things I haven't seen, the Northern Lights and Iceland, jealous.

Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#24 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks MT.

Yeah, it's got to be the Pleiades cluster and the northern star. I noticed the big dipper below it so that generally lines up.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

#25 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

Was that northern lights from your dslr?  It was my favorite, was it like that all the time at night?  You have a great talent man!  My sister is a photographer full time for many many magazines, I feel you have the eye for this, great job - enjoying these very much.

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ ? | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | EVGA RAM 3200 @ ?  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#26 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thanks gamble

The northern lights were from the DSLR. 25 sec exposure. My wife tried taking a photo with her iPhone but it was just a black screen - lol.

You could definitely see them with the naked eye but the camera, with the kind of time will definitely show them stronger.

The wind was coming in very strong that night so it was a case of setting up the camera with a 2 sec timer and bracing the tripod. Couldn't do it for long as my fingers were freezing.

It's not like that all the time. There is a site which gives you a good indication of the likelihood of aurora activity. On a scale of 1-10, that was what they were forecasting as a 3.

I saw some people's photos of stronger ones. A lot more reds and they looked spectacular.

In the 11 days I was there, there were really only 2 nights that weren't covered in cloud around where we were. You can see the clouds in the shots I have but it was still amazing to see.

On the one above, my wife an I drove out of Reykjavik and pretty much waited in the dark for about 20 mins I think before it started to appear.

This one is from the point we first saw it. It went over the top and "curtained" over to the one I posted above. The one above is also picking up some light pollution from Reykjavik.

15691772106_1f22339116_c.jpg

Untitled

This one was from the first night when I was driving around in the dark trying to find a place to stop. Stupid me didn't crank the ISO up enough and you really couldn't see this with the naked eye. It was stronger to the left of me though at times and that was definitely visible.

15417074407_0404b12258_c.jpg

#27 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

All of these pictures are AMAZING! I especially love the butterfly ones and the 2nd iceland shot, something about the peace of them just makes it feel right.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#28 smenkhare

smenkhare

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Those aurora shots are amazing. I tried running your first one through a plate solver to match the stars but no luck.

Edited by smenkhare, 26 November 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#29 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thanks SON & smenkhare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users