• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,512 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Mac Dude Jr may have dropped his iPhone 4S in water then, before allowing it to dry out properly tried to charge it. Of course now it won't charge. Is it best to take it to an Apple store and bend over or are there other less costly but still reliable options (in Melb)?
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#2 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Mac Dude Jr may have dropped his iPhone 4S in water then, before allowing it to dry out properly tried to charge it. Of course now it won't charge.

Is it best to take it to an Apple store and bend over or are there other less costly but still reliable options (in Melb)?

Honestly? Take it to Apple.
I used to do iPhone repairs. He's probably done both the mainboard and the battery.
Unless you know an electrical engineer capable to trouble shooting the charging circuits on the mainboard, it's toast.
I'm guessing by "won't charge" you mean it won't start, AND won't charge? If it will run fine, but doesn't charge you could consider getting 3rd party repairs, but best option is to go to Apple.
I used to work for a mob called Synergetic. They had a great iPhone tech called Richard, and if they couldn't fix it it didn't cost you much for them to do a lot of work assessing it.

Maybe see if it's still the case?

Worst case, is if you go to a less reputable place, who may be cheaper or offer free assessment, they'll tell you it can be fixed, and it will work, but there'll always be a niggly problem or two.

Apple will swap it for a "new" phone.
Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#3 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,512 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks TB. Slack of me not to reply earlier. He took it back to Vodafone first. They examined it and said that there was no indication of water damaged though the connector showed signs of corrosion however it looked quite old. So they swapped his phone :)
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#4 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

Thanks TB. Slack of me not to reply earlier.

He took it back to Vodafone first. They examined it and said that there was no indication of water damaged though the connector showed signs of corrosion however it looked quite old.

So they swapped his phone :)

Nice!

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#5 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,512 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Thanks TB. Slack of me not to reply earlier.

He took it back to Vodafone first. They examined it and said that there was no indication of water damaged though the connector showed signs of corrosion however it looked quite old.

So they swapped his phone :)

Nice!

Yep, and very very lucky :)

He told them water may have been a problem but they said nope and that was that!

#6 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Heh, awesome :)
Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#7 coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

ha nice, the VF people probably didn't check. There are actually two water damage indicators on the 4S that i know of, one is at the bottom of the headphone jack and the other is in the 30 pin connector jack. They turn red (or at least not the default white) when they come into contact with water.

#8 deedee

deedee

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

ha nice, the VF people probably didn't check. There are actually two water damage indicators on the 4S that i know of, one is at the bottom of the headphone jack and the other is in the 30 pin connector jack. They turn red (or at least not the default white) when they come into contact with water.

Yep. Apple will check that straight away.
Then sell you a new phone.
The best things in life are free.

#9 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Well it depends i guess, if your still on Apple's one year warranty they will swap it no problem for a refurbished one. But with Australia they have a policy ( I forgot the name of it but i called Apple to verify this) which covers your mobile for a second year as long as it isn't accidental damage. ( External damages are not covered). So assuming you don't have visible external damage you got a fighting chance of getting it replaced. Hope it helps.

Edited by belal wow, 03 May 2014 - 07:27 PM.

I7-4770k - H75 Cooler - Z97-D3H - GTX760 4GB - G.skill Sniper 8GB 1600mhz - HCG-750M - Crucial BX100 250GB - Carbine Air 240 Case

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users