• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I am looking to get some prints done and was wondering what the process is these days and where to get them done. These would most likely be blown up to around A3 size (or whatever the equivalent is) I guess, framed and hanged. I have the RAW files for the images I want to use. I am just not sure how to best translate what I see on screen to what will be printed (I have a Spyder4 to calibrate), if there is some specific settings I should use when preparing the RAW and if there is somewhere other than the local kodak store I should be using.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#2 Mademan

Mademan

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

The procedure for printing depends on the printer, and what they're printing with. So when you find a printer, they will have a .pdf or page on their website outlining the file types they accept, file bit-depth, resolution, bleed settings, and so on. Not following these settings will often mean they will charge you for "pre-print services", even if it means all they do is tick one checkbox in Photoshop, so if you have an questions or queries, it's best to ask them. Places like The Edge in Collingwood, Bond Imaging in Richmond, Prism Imaging in Flemington/North Melbourne are all popular places last I checked. People "back in the day" used to use Lab X down in St. Kilda, but I think they shut down a few years ago.

FWIW I was looking at having some work printed late last year, I didn't end up going ahead with it, but the people at Bond Imaging were very patient and easy to deal with. Bond is also right near Richmond station, so it's easy to get to.

#3 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I am looking to get some prints done and was wondering what the process is these days and where to get them done.

These would most likely be blown up to around A3 size (or whatever the equivalent is) I guess, framed and hanged.

I have the RAW files for the images I want to use. I am just not sure how to best translate what I see on screen to what will be printed (I have a Spyder4 to calibrate), if there is some specific settings I should use when preparing the RAW and if there is somewhere other than the local kodak store I should be using.

Chances are it will be a .tiff in a particular colourspace but it pays to spend some time talking to the guys to get to know them and they you. From then it becomes easy to talk them through what you want ad the colours/effects that you are after. If you are the end of an email then they are likely to just use the 'excuse' of the listed charges for changes. Also, if you can look at some recent work they have printed or demonstration work they have. This might give you an idea of what type of work they do best.
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#4 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

hey man, place i got printed (in brisbane) i just send them my full res jpeg processed out of lightroom lol

as long as u calibrated with your spyder you should be good to go, my print looked just how it does on my screen so i am very happy

also make sure your check your colour space, whether you are in srgb or argb

i only used these guys once (most recent) but as i said i was very happy with the print i think they do post as well? http://www.frontierdigital.com.au/ i just emailed them the photo i wanted and size and type of paper and the guy managed to have it ready for me that same morning, was really happy right before xmas too

#5 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I have heard of Bond imaging come to think of it and they would be a small diversion on the way to the office. Prism would be technically closer. I'll check out the links and have a word to them. bbf - I wouldn't normally have an issue with postage but from Bris to Melb I might try local first.

Edited by The Tick, 07 February 2014 - 08:52 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users