• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atosniper

atosniper

Master

• Atomican
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have an old XP machine that I was just going to ditch but then I thought I might install Linux. Do I need to delete everything from my machine first before installing Linux? I was originally going to run DBAN on the XP before ditching it. Should I still do this, then install Linux? Or can I just install Linux over XP, which effectively deletes XP anyway? Thanks

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Depends on the installer your version of linux uses. If its a Ubuntu (or variant) it says quite simply in english "erase whole drive and install ubuntu"

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

Ubuntu flavours (for an older pc i recommend Lubuntu or Xubuntu) have options to fully overwrite, and dual boot, in the installer. Both lubuntu and xubuntu look similar to windows xp, plus xubuntu has a windows 7 style start menu you can install. Both will release long term support versions in april, which can be upgraded too fairly easily.
I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#4 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

The great majority of installable Linux distros will allow you repartition and format the entire hard drive during the install process. If you're concerned atosniper use gparted or another disk partitioning utility to re-partition and reformat the whole drive before you start.
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users