Photo

Help! want to buy some lenses for video!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hello fun photography friends! So, i've had some short video ideas that i want to film, mainly sketch comedy of my own punny nature, and thus i want to unleash my porly thought out ideas upon the world. Your welcome. But before I do, i'm gunna need some glass to go infront of my brothers nikon D3100. We have the 2 kit lenses that came with it, but i'm tginking thry might not be video quality. Or stills quality really, but hey, whats ya gunna do? And yeah, not changing cameras, it's what we have and i cant really afford to change (even tho those reds look amazing!) And to top it off, i'm near broke, so i can only reasonably spend $200 on 1 or 2 lenses. Any more and questions will be asked. So yeah, i'll be looking at second hand. So any ideas? Any suggestions? Other then to not unleash my brand of creativity upon tge world. :p Also, sorry about the spelling, i'm on a phone so it's a bitch to edit. :)
Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#2 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Knowing nothing about the Nikon lens system, I'd say you should pick up a vintage fast prime Nikkor 50mm. You'd be wanting to shoot the video manual focus any way I'd presume. Surely a good quality copy from eBay would come under $200 easily. Plus slr video looks awesome with a wide aperture prime!

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#3 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

A fiddy you say.. I have been tempted in the past.. Do they come with vr for handheld work?

#4 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Not really sure about Nikon stuff either.

I have (on occassion) rented stuff from these guys before: http://www.benshire.com.au/

They are simply awesome but unfortunately for you, restricted to Canon gear.

Having a look at what they hire out for Cinema lenses, I see a 14mm, 24mm and 50mm in their 3 pack. That would probably make a 24mm or 50mm (as gabber suggested) a good start.

It really comes down to the shots you intend to take and how close you want your close ups vs how wide you want to take shots. I really don't know much about shooting for video but would presume much of the still's stuff applies here.

You would ideally want something with a wide aperture (2.8 or wider) by the looks of what they list there too. Controlling your DOF is easier with a wider aperture lens.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#5 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Do they come with vr for handheld work?

I don't think vr existed back in the 60's, 70's and 80's :p Also I'm not sure if Nikon have any non-supertelephoto primes that come with vr.

Something like this I was thinking about.

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#6 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Do they come with vr for handheld work?

I don't think vr existed back in the 60's, 70's and 80's :p Also I'm not sure if Nikon have any non-supertelephoto primes that come with vr.

Something like this I was thinking about.

Thanks folks :)

is http://www.ebay.com....=item2c7d2e1ff8 the same? or very different?

#7 Mademan

Mademan

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'd recommend you speak to a Nikon expert, like the folks at Camera Exchange. The problem is that you have a D3200, so compatibility with old lenses can be an issue. And given how poor the AF is on DSLRs when in live view, particularly entry level models such as yours, an old lens manually focused and with an aperture ring is about your only option. That or a completely new lens with some sort of silent AF that won't be picked up by video (like Canon's STM lenses), but these will more than likely come at a cost, and won't give you flexibility in terms of depth of field/exposure.

[edit] a quick Google revealed this compatibility chart from Nikon for the D3200, basically any AF-S or AF-I lens will work

Edited by Mademan, 01 March 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#8 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

the auto focus will be picked up by the inbuilt mic so unless you go external mic (input socket on D3100?) you will be limited to manual focus. I would have suggested the 50mm f1.8 as the way to go, good prime, good quality and reasonably priced but autofocus in current implementation. Not sure about older lenses and new models in the 1,000s series, they work on the 100's. Given the crop factor a 28 or 35mm might be a better bet and worth looking around some 2nd hand shops or camera shops for 2nd hand gear. Where are you?
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#9 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'd recommend you speak to a Nikon expert, like the folks at Camera Exchange. The problem is that you have a D3200, so compatibility with old lenses can be an issue. And given how poor the AF is on DSLRs when in live view, particularly entry level models such as yours, an old lens manually focused and with an aperture ring is about your only option. That or a completely new lens with some sort of silent AF that won't be picked up by video (like Canon's STM lenses), but these will more than likely come at a cost, and won't give you flexibility in terms of depth of field/exposure.

[edit] a quick Google revealed this compatibility chart from Nikon for the D3200, basically any AF-S or AF-I lens will work

thanks again all..

yeah, its the 3100.. but same deal on the AF S/I :)i'll have a look at the camera tommorow for an ext mic input.. :)

#10 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

To be honest, lens sharpness for video isn't as important as it is for stills. That's mainly due to the insanely higher resolution of stills versus hd footage. What you're after, and what you're paying for in video lenses, is stabilisation and focus mechanisms which you don't really need when shooting stills. I know for canon the 100-300L IS is really good for video because the stabilisation is awesome. Manual focus is preferable, but with an SLR it's quite awkward. You could buy a big focus rig, or you could just use lights and a smaller aperture if it's applicable to what you're shooting. Long story short: look for an slr lens with decent image stabilisation (which basically means new lenses, try and set your focus manually, use a tripod and lighting if indoors. ... Although I think the stabilisation in Nikons is in the body. Or is that the focus motor? I don't know. /my 2 cents ;) -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#11 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Although I think the stabilisation in Nikons is in the body. Or is that the focus motor? I don't know.

don't think it's in the body, if it was then more lenses would have VR. If you can get the VRII on a lens it's awesome for stills but would assume it's as useful for video.

So I'd look for a telephoto like the 18-55mm - should fit the budget although I'm not sure about manual focus though it is supposed to have a manual focus mode.
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#12 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Honestly, I'd shoot with what you have, in manual focus mode, and if you have access to a tripod it might help. VR can generate unusual results for a video shot that might make it worse - It's good at stabilising stills where the camera is handheld fixed, or taking a still miod-pan, but, not really suited if the goal is to pan/zoom around randomly handy cam style - which sucks visually anyway. There is no VR lens available under $200, except second hand versions of the lenses you already probably have. It's reasonably likely that the kit lenses with he has are an 18-55 (probably with VR) and another being a 55-200, 55-250 or 55-300 depending on the kit - again probably included VR. If you need to push low light or shallow depth of field, then a second hand prime might do. 50/1.8 AF-D (tight view) 35/1.8DX AF-S or 35/2 AF-D (normal) 20/2.8, 24/2.8 or 28/2.8 AF-D (bit wider) Of course, if you're going for a 50/1.8 to use it at 1.8, the DOF will be shallow, and probably not suitable for handheld work. Also the AF-D lenses above would all me manual focus, but everyone I know who does video work, runs manual focus.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users