Photo

How do I now LinuxMint is using the right drivers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

To say I know nothing about Linux woiuld be a compliment. :) Anyway, i decided to chuck Mint 15 on a spare lappy yesterday, a Toshiba Satellite A200, so far so peachy. The reason for my question is that I don't think the right drivers are installed..or somthing. Everything runs OK except the battery discharges after about 20 minutes, it's a new battery and runs for hours on windows. The lappy also runs pretty hot, it's like Linux isn't throttling the CPU. Does that make any sense and if so, how I can fix it? Cheers

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#2 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

Why not linux mint 16? it seems to be released
The mint forums or the mint IRC channel would probably be the best places to get help.
Or you could try a live usb of a different distro (e.g. xubuntu) and see if the battery life is ok there
I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#3 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks, will do. :)

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#4 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Does it have a discrete graphics card?

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i7 4790K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB + 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#5 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Don't think so? Anyway, that lappy is buggered, keeps shutting itself off and restarting, was doing it under windows as well so I retired it and put LM16 on a different lappy dual/booting with Windows 8, seems to be OK though I had to tweak files to get it to see the windows network and also had to find the broadcom drivers for making good wireless. Enjoying the tinkering actually, haven't had to do that for too many years now. :)

#6 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Main reason I asked about graphics is if it has say an Intel GPU plus a GeForce/Radeon, it'd be using the open source drivers. They generally don't have power management features included, which means battery life can be woeful But glad you're enjoying tinkering!

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i7 4790K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB + 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Don't think so?

Anyway, that lappy is buggered, keeps shutting itself off and restarting, was doing it under windows as well so I retired it and put LM16 on a different lappy dual/booting with Windows 8, seems to be OK though I had to tweak files to get it to see the windows network and also had to find the broadcom drivers for making good wireless. Enjoying the tinkering actually, haven't had to do that for too many years now. :)

Ive had linux break laptops before, I'm very cautious.
Ive had it not run the fans at all, and not safety power off. melted junk.

Windows runs the fans fine and throttled based on heat. /shudder

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Main reason I asked about graphics is if it has say an Intel GPU plus a GeForce/Radeon, it'd be using the open source drivers. They generally don't have power management features included, which means battery life can be woeful

But glad you're enjoying tinkering!

^ This.

Have had this problem with a lot of laptops with any form of Linux on them.

Check the card and download the drivers direct from the manufacturer.

#9 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

So which command do I use to find out the graphics card? (Current lappy looks like it has one of these "The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (GMA 4500M) (sometimes also called GMA X4500 M) is a DirectX 10 capable integrated shared memory graphic card for laptops. The mGPU is integrated in the Intel GM40 and GL40 chipsets and designed for cheap laptops. The graphics card is also called Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family in the Intel drivers." Whereas the original lappy had one of thse: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100 is an integrated (onboard) graphic chip on a Mobile Intel 965GM (with 500 MHz core speed) and 960GM (400 MHz) chipset (for Merom = Core 2 architecture). ) :)

Edited by Director, 05 March 2014 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users