• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 discoInferno

discoInferno

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

I installed CrunchBang on an old netbook to give it a bit of life a few months ago and its been great. Way lighter and faster than the old XP install it had before, battery life has improved and it's easy enough to navigate that I'm actually using the thing. I've installed a few bits and pieces using the package manager and was generally feeling pretty happy with myself. Until tonight that is when I decided I needed to be able to print to my network printer...

CrunchBang has a printer management interface, and can see the printer on the network, so that's a positive. When I try to install the printer it gets hard though. There don't seem to be any easy drivers I can use as when the manager does a search my model isn't listed, and a few of the more generic ones I've tried don't want to work.

I did some googling and found the debian drivers I need for the printer (it's a Brother HL-3150CDN). I understand that I need an LPR driver and a CUPS driver (I'm not sure what that means, but I think I need both) and I've downloaded both of them so they're sitting in the user downloads folder.

The installation instructions though go WAY over my head. There's instructions for the LPR and CUPS separately but they both refer to each other and I just don't understand what I'm being asked to do. If an atomican Linux wizard can try to give me the dumb version I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks all!
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

just follow the steps in your CUPS link. Which part bothers you? In the future for a fast and well supported OS, try Xubuntu it uses XFCE as the shell, and the kernel is Ubuntu, so the support is HUGE. If you like OpenBox, try Puppy for a more popular distro?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 discoInferno

discoInferno

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Even that much will give me a start. I'll go back through the CUPS instructions and see how far I get. I'll post backwith a more specific question if I need to. I tried Lububtu for a bit but steered away from XFCE as I was trying to keep it as light as possible. In general its all been good but from time to time I come across something which should be easy and discover its really not. Its more me learning as I go along than anything else.
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

XFCE is so marginally heavier than Lxde, its worth it for the built in features. Lubuntu feels like a featureless windows 95; where as XFCE feels more like WIndows 98SE or NT in terms of features; just the right amount IMO :P What you're going through is the ONE hurdle linux has. If the community as a whole could realise "we need a replacement for EXE's, that work across the board" you'd have linux uptake in the thousands IMO.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I've got a Brother Hl-3040cn and it's a pain to install the linux drivers.
Persevere as they work fine once you get it set up.

This is where I got my help from.
http://welcome.solut...tion_prn1a.html

Edit:
You'll need to download the LPR driver and cupswrapper driver manually in a folder.

You'll need to use the command line to install the drivers. Don't be scared of the command line.
You'll need to be root or use sudo whilst installing dpkg's.
Just follow the steps on the linked page. (for dpkg )

Edited by CptnChrysler, 14 March 2014 - 12:50 PM.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#6 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Here's a clearer explanation.
I'm starting at step 3 because odds are the prerequisites will already be in place.

Step 3. Download drivers
Download LPR driver and cupswrapper driver. Get the deb versions for crunchbang.
Printer Driver download page http://welcome.solut...html#HL-3150CDN

Step 4. Install LPR driver and cupswrapper driver
4-1. Turn on the printer and connect the USB cable.
4-2. Open the terminal and go to the directory where the drivers are.
4-3. Install LPR driver.The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.

As root or using sudo (note that the # symbol in the prompt indicates the command must be exceuted as the root user)
#  dpkg  -i  --force-all  hl3150cdnlpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb

4-4. Install cupswrapper driver.The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.
#  dpkg  -i  --force-all  hl3150cdncupswrapper-1.1.2-1.i386.deb

4-5. Check if the LPR driver and cupswrapper driver are installed
dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother

Step 5a. (for USB Connection) Check your printer on the cups web interface
5a-1. Open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:631/printers".
Check if the Device URI of your printer is "usb://Brother/(your printer's model name)"
Example of a USB printer entry
If the device URI is different from the example above, please go to "Modify Printer" of your printer to select proper device and driver.
If your printer is not listed on "http://localhost:631/printers", please go to "http://localhost:631/admin" and click "Add printer" and select proper device and driver.
Step 5b. (for Network Connection) Configure your printer on the cups web interface
5b-1. Open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:631/printers".
5b-2. Click "Modify Printer" and set following parameters.
- "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" or "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" for Device
- lpd://(Your printer's IP address)/binary_p1 for Device URI
- Brother for Make/Manufacturer Selection
- Your printer's name for Model/Driver Selection
Example of a network printer entry
Step 6. Try a test print
6-1. Open a text editor, write something and select "print" from the menu.

Note that whilst using the --force-all option is generally not a good idea, in the case of the Brother printer drivers I found it nessesary.
Please note that I have installed these drivers under ArchLinux and Ubuntu but I've never used CrunchBang.

#7 discoInferno

discoInferno

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

That's awesome. Thanks for the effort getting that together. I haven't got back to it yet but I'll be doing it over the weekend and this will certainly help. I'll let you know how I go!

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,099 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

updates on this :)

#9 discoInferno

discoInferno

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Update! Got this installed tonight. When I got to the dpkg step of installing the LPR and CUPS driver in the terminal it hit a snag. I can't remember what the exact message was, but it said something about being unable to create the directories required. I'm not sure if this was some kind of permissions problem (I was using sudo), but I got around it by manually creating the directories myself with mkdir. Once I created the few directories it errored on, the rest of the install went smoothly. I then opened locahost:631 in my browser and clicked on "add printer" and I got a forbidden error. When I clicked on "manage printers" though, the new brother was already listed! It won't let me modify the admin settings (just tells me forbidden) but a test print works and printing from applications works fine as well. I'd like to know why I can't modify the admin settings, but the fact that I can now print using default settings at least is great. :)

#10 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Update!

Got this installed tonight. When I got to the dpkg step of installing the LPR and CUPS driver in the terminal it hit a snag. I can't remember what the exact message was, but it said something about being unable to create the directories required. I'm not sure if this was some kind of permissions problem (I was using sudo), but I got around it by manually creating the directories myself with mkdir. Once I created the few directories it errored on, the rest of the install went smoothly.

I then opened locahost:631 in my browser and clicked on "add printer" and I got a forbidden error. When I clicked on "manage printers" though, the new brother was already listed! It won't let me modify the admin settings (just tells me forbidden) but a test print works and printing from applications works fine as well.

I'd like to know why I can't modify the admin settings, but the fact that I can now print using default settings at least is great. :)

Great to hear.

You probably need to log in to the CUPS interface (localhost:631) as either 'root' or 'admin', then you should be able to alter settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users