• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alkahest

alkahest

Master

• Atomican
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

I'm running all the wiring for this house and will be living in soon, and had this crazy idea about having one computer to share with multiple users (ie 1 pc for 3 or 4 bedrooms), to save them having a PC in each, including a Home theatre pc. My family members aren't all gamers, just myself and my brother and we both have our own laptops to do the job. I've seen it done before on the internet, but is there any guide about setting it up out there on the web? Have been looking but to no avail so far.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass!......and I'm all out of bubblegum

#2 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

all you should need is a kvm switch or something similar so the pc can be used from many different places. or do you mean many accounts at once? that is more complex
I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Generally speaking, in this day and age its more trouble than its worth. If the 'computer in room' is for movies, youtube, and facebook, look into an Android TV Stick. Good ones can be had from $40, and with a wireless keyboard and mouse, are amazing. Basically; $40 android PC. $20 wireless keyboard mouse (usb), and as long as you have wifi in the house, you're laughing. plugs into a TV's HDMI port, and draws power from USB; almost all TV's have a 'service' USB port so you can run\boot the device entirely when the TV on's and offs.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 alkahest

alkahest

Master

• Atomican
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

all you should need is a kvm switch or something similar so the pc can be used from many different places.
or do you mean many accounts at once? that is more complex

Many accounts at once, yeah.. :) I thought as much too, because I could hardly find anything out there tackling this situation

Generally speaking, in this day and age its more trouble than its worth.
If the 'computer in room' is for movies, youtube, and facebook, look into an Android TV Stick.
Good ones can be had from $40, and with a wireless keyboard and mouse, are amazing.

Basically; $40 android PC. $20 wireless keyboard mouse (usb), and as long as you have wifi in the house, you're laughing.

plugs into a TV's HDMI port, and draws power from USB; almost all TV's have a 'service' USB port so you can run\boot the device entirely when the TV on's and offs.

I never got to know the capabilities of those little USB Android PC's. But if they're capable of tackling all the basic stuff; so emails, youtube, facebook, xbmc, then that would be perfect. Guess I'll be looking in to these
Are there any little Android PC's that you would recommend?

Edited by alkahest, 04 May 2014 - 02:37 PM.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass!......and I'm all out of bubblegum

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yep they can do all you've listed out of the box.
Next step up is a 'NUC' pc, at about $2-300. But its a big jump. Only bonus is you get full featured, full power PC's.
and since HASWELL has a good onboard GPU, they're VERY capable systems. even to game on.

As for android, I'm a rockchip fan. But they cost more:
http://www.ebay.com....=item338e3db119
Those keyboard\mouse thingies are actually very good!

Same thing, but from a 'company' you can 'trust'. Though, really, I'd prefer to paypal dispute than fight with Kogan.
http://www.kogan.com...re-hdmi-dongle/

The MK802 II is the 'cheap one' but in my experience was pretty fully featured :)
http://www.cloudsto....ic-mk802ii.html
http://www.ebay.com....=item20ca5e1a81
an Allwinner A10 is not a weak chip by any length.

Just horses for courses. If an android phone\tablet can do it, one of these devices can too!

When it comes to a NUC,
http://www.centrecom...uc?preview=true

$160ish..... but add HDD and RAM to that price.
And if you're a windows diehard then a licence for that too; otherwise a nice Xubuntu or Lubuntu install (or XBMCbuntu) will performa admirably!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 04 May 2014 - 08:47 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

I've always had issues with Android and computer monitors, with both my HTC One and my Cubieboard, they'll only work reliably with actual TVs. (Though the Cubieboard will work nicely with a monitor using some other Linux distro) What's your experience been with that, M_S?
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

as long as its over HDMI the only tweak ive ever had to do was adjust the monitor overscan, no real issues. Ive heard of them though, it seems to happen when the monitor is trying to 'be smart' but is very close to the odd resolutions tablets and phones can come in, and tries to correct for them. Im far from an android dev, but IIRC, there is some sort of 'target resolution' built into the firmware which it will try for. The clincher seems to be if the device is using a 'mirroring' type output, or has a decent external monitor output module loaded. Think of it as running a PC with no gpu drivers. tldr; I havent hit any major walls, but I know you're not alone.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

aaaand,
\
BAM!

https://www.ozbargai....au/node/143653

#9 alkahest

alkahest

Master

• Atomican
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

I actually bought a Raspberry Pi 512mb rev B off Ebay for about $60, and for what it's worth it's pretty straight forward and easy to use. Currently hooked up to the TV with OpenELEC XBMC, runs awesome! Soon I'll put on a different OS and try it out for basic internet use, I'll keep you guys posted :)

#10 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

I actually bought a Raspberry Pi 512mb rev B off Ebay for about $60, and for what it's worth it's pretty straight forward and easy to use. Currently hooked up to the TV with OpenELEC XBMC, runs awesome!

Soon I'll put on a different OS and try it out for basic internet use, I'll keep you guys posted :)

You got ripped off.

http://au.element14....b...NEW-SEARCH

http://au.rs-online....t-kits/7568308/
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Yep. I got mine for $50 (to get free shipping) the unit, and a case for it. Right now, its powering the head unit in my car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users