• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Last night Adobe activated DRM on all Firefox browsers in sandbox mode. Meaning any content can be rejected for viewing regardless of where you live.

Adobe DRM activation in Mozilla

Its all about Piracy

Edited by codecreeper, 15 May 2014 - 06:34 PM.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

How can random data be rejected if only DRM-wrapped data is handed over for decrypting?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

How can random data be rejected if only DRM-wrapped data is handed over for decrypting?

No idea ,but anyhow the stories i am reading on the web it sounds like Firefox is gonna die very fast.

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

If will only die very fast if it being DRM-free was the only reason people used it. I didn't even know they weren't using it until today. I bet I'm not the only one.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

If will only die very fast if it being DRM-free was the only reason people used it.

I didn't even know they weren't using it until today. I bet I'm not the only one.

DRM was only turned on in the last 24 hours. Read the links it says it all.

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

I did. I didn't know it was tuned on because I didn't know it was turned off for Firefox and on for everyone else. I am still using Firefox. This can't have been the only reason a majority of people use Firefox.

#7 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

My understanding is that it's a form of DRM that companies like Netflix use for secure sessions, a kind of proprietary passkey that allows decoding of streaming video from their services.

The Firefox implementation is closed-source from Adobe, but wrapped in open-source code that only activates as necessary. So it won't be used for the vast majority of internet traffic, only for specific use cases. Chrome and IE have had it for ages, Firefox added it to prevent users switching away.

And it's opt-in, as Arstechnica explains, just like Flash Player itself is an opt-in install:

As much as Mozilla as an organization may dislike DRM, and as much as it may believe the EME specification to be flawed, Baker says that Mozilla cannot change the industry alone. As such, it needs to support DRM, too. The choice of whether to use the DRM facilities will be left to the end user, and those who do not want to use it can elect not to activate it. The CDM will not actually be distributed with Firefox, either; if users elect to use it, it will be downloaded from Adobe.
(Edited for bold by me)
http://arstechnica.c...drm-in-firefox/

I'm not bothered by it, I'll keep with the browser for the add-ons and the interface. Well, the Pale Moon fork of it anyway :)
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

Opera master race.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Isn't Opera a Chromium fork? :P
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#10 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

guess so... On 12 February 2013, Opera announced it would drop its own Presto engine in favour of WebKit as implemented by Google's Chrome browser, using code from the Chromium project. Opera Software also planned to contribute code to WebKit.[44] On 3 April 2013, Google announced that it would fork components from WebKit to form a new rendering engine known as Blink; the same day, Opera confirmed that it would follow Google in implementing Blink.[45] I like the look of the newest FF. I had used chrome on my laptop but for some reason started stalling, so I tried FF and it was smooth.

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ ? | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | EVGA RAM 3200 @ ?  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#11 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

I hate DRM like everyone else, but one of the plus sides i see is that i will be able to watch Netflix on Linux :).

#12 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

So would this affect those users using geoblocking tools to access Netflix ,Hulu and HBO channel. I bet Rupert Murdoch is behind this move. He is very active on Media Control via payment methods.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

guess so...

On 12 February 2013, Opera announced it would drop its own Presto engine in favour of WebKit as implemented by Google's Chrome browser, using code from the Chromium project. Opera Software also planned to contribute code to WebKit.[44] On 3 April 2013, Google announced that it would fork components from WebKit to form a new rendering engine known as Blink; the same day, Opera confirmed that it would follow Google in implementing Blink.[45]

I like the look of the newest FF. I had used chrome on my laptop but for some reason started stalling, so I tried FF and it was smooth.

Thats assuming you upgraded since then.
I'm still on presto :)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#14 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

Looks like Firefox is removing access to Adobe Flash saying its a security risk and too outdated to be used for anything but DRM control. With Html5 now being used their no more need to access Flash.

So how can you tell if a site is using Html5 or Flash?

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

from your post, I'd assume it wont load if it's flash, but will if its HTML5

Just like everything else open source, you'll still be able to install flash, it just wont ship with it like it was for a while.

Since the drop of PRESTO, I moved away from Opera and use Waterfox.

#16 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,508 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

There's still plenty of Flash around and it's not going to go away in a hurrry - not to mention hundreds of games.

My (older) version of FF blocked Flash starting the other day, all I had to do was let Flash update.

Funny (not) how Flash has only really become a trouble spot since Adobe took over Macromedia.

But no surprise since Reader (Acrobat) has been descending down the turd gurgler for years, and many of their other products becoming just that more annoying to use with each new release.

#17 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Just updated to v39 yesterday and i am having problems with it. Seems to be very memory hungry if i watch a Youtube clip.

Not sure if its the latest Flash update or FireFox ,i updated both at the same time.

Anyone have V39 and can check this for me. Its really bothering me as cannot watch Youtubes any more over the crashing.

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

I have FLASH uninstalled so I can watch youtube.

I really dislike the flash player in youtube, and use the HTML5 option instead.

Uses WAYYY less internet data, and loads (renders the page) about twice as fast.

I'm also on waterfox though, because I use a 64 bit operating system.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 17 July 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

I have FLASH uninstalled so I can watch youtube.

I really dislike the flash player in youtube, and use the HTML5 option instead.

Uses WAYYY less internet data, and loads (renders the page) about twice as fast.

I'm also on waterfox though, because I use a 64 bit operating system.

I watch IVIEW ABC a lot so i need it for that.

#20 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Something is wrong ,my memory is getting low and seems to be losing memory like a leak in whole system now. And i just cannot recover it now.

I cannot believe Firefox and flash update to cause so much damage.

Checking the Task manager it keeps saying hard faults in memory and just getting worse ,i have 4gb and i am using 1.81gb on something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users