• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

Suggestions on brands/locations/stores/sites to buy the following from?

24 port switch (pref at least 4 gbe ports)(Also, I'm still not entirely sold on the price increase for it being managed)
48port (or 2x24p) patch panel(s)
Rack to house them in (with space for wifi AP/router/modem, and future microserver purchase, and, uh, maybe a Synology NAS and a small 4/6 port PoE switch).
Those HDMI/Cat6orwhatever dongles that let you run HDMI over a pair of network cables.

Postscript: ended up running cabling the before the plaster went up, but after the insulation was installed, so that was a fun afternoon in a face mask.  Some rooms have one or two data points and a coax point, a few locations - two options for TV placement, desktop PC where HDMI cable will be running from - have 7 or 9 data points.  At this point I think a 24 port switch will safely handle all active ports with a margin of safety.

Edited by Nich..., 30 March 2015 - 03:19 PM.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#22 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,477 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

Suggestions on brands/locations/stores/sites to buy the following from?

Retail? I would probably go to http://www.4cabling....k-switches.html

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#23 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

Was told by Chig to specifically avoid TPLink.  But he was also pushing managed options  :p

That 24p tplink I think I saw on a few different sites, or something similar.  Was confusing (I didn't have time to check model numbers, blah) because all around the same price but some said every port was 10/100/1000 and some said that it was 20p 10/100 and 4p 10/100/1000 kind of thing.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#24 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,477 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

Well I have had very little trouble with TP-Link in domestic situations, but these have all been fairly lightly loaded ones most of the time and only up to the 8 port switches.

As far as the

was 20p 10/100 and 4p 10/100/1000 kind of thing.

If you mean the TL-SG1024 then all ports are Gigabit according to TP-Link.

http://www.tp-link.c...=TL-SG1024#over

People may be getting confused with the likes of the

TL-SL1226 which is 24 10/100Mbps + 2 10/100/1000

http://www.tp-link.c...=TL-SL1226#spec

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#25 Caelum

Caelum

Titan

• Hero
  • 17,009 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Stop being a tightarse Nich. 

6hax

#26 ordinal481

ordinal481

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

Pfft Chig... :P

He always has issues with anything remotely residential...something to do with non standards and multicast, who knows.

I use this:

http://www.tp-link.c..._TL-SG2216.html

and have no problems.

Ubiquiti make some great products as well, but I've only ever used the Toughswitches.

#27 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Pft tightarse. I have stuff to buy that isn't home network related, still : p

#28 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

http://cplonline.com...ount-48p6r.html vs http://www.scorptec..../57444-C6-PP-48 for patch panel?

http://www.scorptec....199-TL-SG1024DE for switch?  Look Chig, it's managed ;p

http://www.4cabling....ml#.VTjlbuEbIWs not sure where else/what else to get for a rack. I'm assuming 4ru will give space for the two above and one spare bay for potential future stuff and or just a little extra ventilation space, but I have NFI.

#29 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

You are most likely not going to get anything near that price with a brand other than TP-link. I know people like their stuff and that's cool. Personally I got burned too many times so I haven't used them in a long time. No idea what the current stuff is like.

I think the closest thing would be a D-link in the smart switch category and while I used to hate D-link with a passion, the few smart switches I bought because my boss is a tight arse have actually proven to be reasonably good.

As much as you are bagging out Chris for his managed recommendation, it's really quite nice to be able to easily login and see if a port is showing errors when you are diagnosing something behaving stupidly.

As for supplier, I'd go Scorptec for VIC. They are friendly and efficient as well as having competitive pricing.

For patch panels etc ... I'm happy to make another recommendation for 4cabling. I have used their 6RU cabinets and patch panels across a few sites now around the country and have had 0 issues with any of it.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#30 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

Noticed that Scorptec have the 4cabling patch panels available (6RU and 9RU tho' have to check when I get home if 9RU would even fit), tho' not sure if in stock as far as looking at them before buying them.  That I can just drop in and pick it all up at once is a nice bonus.

Happy to go managed for a switch, it's just... the price jump is a lot, for what is essentially insurance (and also I have no actual idea how you log in to managed switches to diagnose stuff, woops).  Personally not had issues with small scale tplink stuff, but yeah, price and etc is the winner there.  Not even sure if their/D-link's 'smart' switches are worth it over plain old dumb ones.

#31 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

Login is via a web interface for most (not sure about the TP-link but would assume so). Nothing really fancy and yeah, navigate to a ports and there is generally a statistic menu which allows you to see what's going on. I know it sounds like overkill but it is nice if something is playing up over the network to be able to check this. Saying that, I have had a Cisco 16 port switch which was showing packet errors and it turned out it was the switch that was the problem.

Being able to prioritise traffic over the LAN is something that while not essential could prove beneficial (although you are right, overkill for home network). I did setup my home server with link aggregation with 2 nics mainly because I could ...

VLANS might be something worthwhile too - IDK.

I guess though that at the price point, you would be hoping the switch has some better internals, buffer memory, etc ...

Edited by The Tick, 27 April 2015 - 06:17 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

#32 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

Not entirely sure what I'd do with vlans apart from set up a public/guest wifi network.   Cool, but not worth the cost on its own.

Guess a 9RU case is out.  Even that 4RU 4cabling one is going to be a struggle to get in.  Just measured and face-on there's only 30cm of clearance between the shelf and the (overhang?)  wall up to the ceiling.  Hoooping on a diagonal it'll just fit in. <.<

The 4cabling patch panel looked like it was easy to replace individual female sockets if there was a problem, rather than the entire panel.  I can't tell if the ALogic one supports this or if it's even common.  But there are only 24p panels from 4cabling, so that adds some extra money in terms of getting two.  Would you suggest they're worth it?  It's going to be a shit to get all the cables into the patch panel, it seems like potentially much better insurance to make sure in the future I only have to do one or two cables if something goes wrong, rather than all the cables again.

#33 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Might be worth just getting a 3RU bracket for the patch panel/s - I have generally opted for 2 x 24 ports in the past. Like you said, it could benefit you to re-punch on a single panel as opposed to gong through a 48 port one. Considering how cheap the 4cabling stuff is, I am not sure (could be wrong) that it's still cost effective against what other people charge for a 48 port.

Like always though - it pays to hunt around.

You might be able to get away with some sturdy shelves or a second hand deep cupboard with some vents/ fans that fits the area you are trying to cram stuff into which would make the 3RU bracket both cost effective and help with the tighter fit. Two panels and a switch should fit that.

#34 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

Sorry if embed is awful:

11169041_868074297172_883869358_n.jpg?oh 

This is where I'd planned on having all the network stuff sitting.

Off the top of my head, it's something like $115 for 48p from scorptec, or $160 for 2x24p from 4cabling.

I may be looking in the wrong places but I've honestly been surprised at the difficulties in getting this kind of small-scale/home-type networking gear without venturing into SME type price brackets where I'm paying for many things I won't use.

Happy to take suggestions on a 3RU case. Or bracket. er... what's the difference?

At this point it's kind of tempting to just make a wooden frame and mount the switch/patch panel(s) to. Easier to cut out holes for ventilation and cable routing, too :<

Am I correct in assuming that the rack itself has no power supply, and the gear going into it will just be able to connect to a power socket/board?

#35 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

http://www.4cabling....ml#.VT9kUqZT668

It's just a metal frame but lines everything up nicely and will allow you to attach a rack mount switch. You are correct though - a couple of wooden blocks would do the same sort of thing although I would say the tolerance of the metal bracket should be need to be screwing things on and off would be better.

So no - it's not a cabinet and from what you just posted, it would be better suited for your intended destination.

$115 for the 48 port panel sounds fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users