• Please log in to reply
5277 replies to this topic

#1 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

the title is actually a rhetorical question, i think some time ago i gave my opinion that tony abbott would prove to be our worst prime minister ever, although to be fair i can only remember back to living under ming and his successors, so maybe prior to the middle of last century we had worse leaders anyway, several people offered a dissenting opinion at the time, so i thought it was germane to revisit the subject and ask if there are any people out there who might be able to offer a positive spin on this bunch of hooray henries don't let me single out the p.m. though - feel free to comment on joe hockey, christopher pyne and george brandis too, to name just the worst other offenders on the front bench i don't think i've been as embarrassed to admit australian citizenship since the latter days of the howard regime, but i would be pleased to have somebody enlighten me as to the significant positive changes to australia since the last federal election... although i must accept that the defeat and retirement of kevin rudd stands up as one shining plus knock yourselves out

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#2 xnatex

xnatex

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Posted Image

#3 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

This government is as crap as all those before it and those that will come after it. People who couldn't care less about me or you, pretending to care about me and you. What a load of shit...

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,590 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

KRudd is our worst PM ever with Gillard closely following. It's been less than a year since we got rid of them, the momentum of their waste just doesn't stop in it's tracks. The damage they did hasn't been fully realised yet - it's the things we'll miss out on for probably another 10 years that will emphasise it. And the sad thing is that others will get the blame. Come on - the GFC was a blip on the radar for us, but they used it as an excuse to turn around a situation where we had about 3 months tax revenue "in the bank" to one where we have a debt equal to about 15 months tax revenue and barely a thing to show for it. It's a given that whoever came into power to start cleaning up their mess would cop the "bad guy" moniker, but the fact of the matter is that we're better off with almost anyone aside from the previous 2 idiots.

#5 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

http://forums.atomic...s...t&p=1134419.

Yeah I think krispy hits the nail right where it should go.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#6 xnatex

xnatex

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

http://forums.atomic...s...t&p=1134419.

Yeah I think krispy hits the nail right where it should go.

That will fit in nicely with Brandis anti piracy laws, how convenient. In all honesty tho, both sides of govt have been trying to implement this or some sort of filter to control the internet with the other side party blocking its implementation. It was only a matter of time unfortunately.

Edited by xnatex, 05 August 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#7 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

KRudd is our worst PM ever with Gillard closely following.

It's been less than a year since we got rid of them, the momentum of their waste just doesn't stop in it's tracks.
The damage they did hasn't been fully realised yet - it's the things we'll miss out on for probably another 10 years that will emphasise it. And the sad thing is that others will get the blame.

Come on - the GFC was a blip on the radar for us, but they used it as an excuse to turn around a situation where we had about 3 months tax revenue "in the bank" to one where we have a debt equal to about 15 months tax revenue and barely a thing to show for it.

It's a given that whoever came into power to start cleaning up their mess would cop the "bad guy" moniker, but the fact of the matter is that we're better off with almost anyone aside from the previous 2 idiots.

hmmm...

so the profligate waste by the howard / costello team when the mining boom income bonanza was pissed up against the wall as middle class tax cuts missed your notes

or maybe the several rather good pieces of legislation manoeuvred through a minority lower house and an equally non-partisan upper house by julia gillard

the only thing i might agree on is that rudd was a complete wanker

however, to consider the shenanigans of a demonstrably deficient performance by the current pm and his allegedly capable "treasurer" as superior in any form is either a case of denial and projection (one of freud's favourites, and indeed one of mine), or maybe you figure that a government should burn its population to stoke the fires of big business

i am not calling tony a bad guy, i'm calling him a lacklustre leader of our country who has so far demonstrated no intellectual capacity to offer a vision for our country that makes it shine as a place of which i am not only pleased to be recognised as a citizen, but that offers a sustainable future (and i'm not just talking renewable energy, i'm talking pride as a thoughtful and mature society)

the fact that he comes across as variously a complete boofhead or a cunt is rather immaterial to my real issues with his practical abilities

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#8 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

" ...the fact that he comes across as variously a complete boofhead or a cunt is rather immaterial to my real issues with his practical abilities "

^^ made me chuckle. Also, QFT

atomic has π

#9 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,882 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

Not that crap. Or rather, just as crap as any other government. I do rather like this Governments realism. [edit]: Realism about some things. The un-sustainability of the current budget being at the forefront of my mind, although many smart people seem to think that it would be more productive to re-examine the fundamentals of our tax system as opposed to changing the existing system. Except for this data-retention crap. That is far more crap than any other government's crap. [edit]: Oh! And the chaplaincy crap. That's really crap. Although the previous governments failure to set up a propose mining tax is similarly crap. [edit]: And I'm not totally sold on the changes to tertiary education either. Although, on the bright side, the $7 GP fee is going towards a medical research fund, which ought to do good things for people with STEM degrees, and I like the idea of people doing STEM degrees! Rob.

Edited by robzy, 06 August 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#10 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican't
  • 40,498 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...reaking/5627502
"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#11 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,882 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:15 AM

However, it isn't necessarily a good thing to be keeping more promises than you break.

The raw number of promises doesn't tell us very much.

Rob.

#12 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,590 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

There's a promise tracker page somewhere on ABC (they spruiked it the other day on ABC24) - the current gov is on par with comparable nations in the industrialised world. Re alleged tax windfall and waste during Howard era - it didn't happen. The taxation revenue as %GDP maintained a fairly steady climb, there was no great spike in growth. Taxation revenue fell around time of the GFC, which is around the time Labor's spending started spiralling out of control. If you were to extract all of the so-called "stimulus measures" they'd amount to a fairly small percentage of the $300 Billion turnaround for the worse of our finances. Then throw in the fact they made major changes to the tax system which so far seem to have seen an overall fall in inflation-adjusted revenue. That is why the current government is forced into making unpopular decisions.

#13 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

However, it isn't necessarily a good thing to be keeping more promises than you break.

The raw number of promises doesn't tell us very much.

Rob.

I thought the idea of a promise was to keep it. That he's breaking any at all should not be acceptable.

Of course every government I can remember (all of them?) has broken them. That was not and is not acceptable either. If you fully intend to do something you should allow for then finding out you can't, and phrase it as "It is our/my intent..." Abbott, otoh, has not done that, or even changed his mind since saying it, but clearly had no intention whatever of even attempting several of his promised reforms from day one. (Gonski, for example.)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#14 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,590 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:36 AM

"There will be no Carbon Tax under a government I lead"

#15 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

She said nothing about a carbon price, otoh. That everyone since has chosen to (mis)represent it as such since is beside the point.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#16 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:44 AM

From my perspective, the defectiveness of the government extends, and is contributed to by all levels of politics at the moment. Too much rhetoric, not even close to an acceptable level of professionalism, and a terminal, short sighted mindset. Mostly, I'm concerned over the moral, ethical, and environmental policies that will linger much longer than the careers of those currently in power. Certainly the media plays a role in all this, but ultimately, I blame the Australian public. We're the ones empowering these muppets. The shit going down at the moment would cause mass riots in more civilised countries, and will surely be remembered as an era of greed, gluttony, and sloth by future generations. Something big needs to change.

Edited by tastywheat, 06 August 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#17 Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie

Overlord

• Hero
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

From my perspective, the defectiveness of the government extends, and is contributed to by all levels of politics at the moment. Too much rhetoric, not even close to an acceptable level of professionalism, and a terminal, short sighted mindset. Mostly, I'm concerned over the moral, ethical, and environmental policies that will linger much longer than the careers of those currently in power.

Certainly the media plays a role in all this, but ultimately, I blame the Australian public. We're the ones empowering these muppets. The shit going down at the moment would cause mass riots in more civilised countries, and will surely be remembered as an era of greed, gluttony, and sloth by future generations.

Something big needs to change.

Here's Ya Theme Ch00n

#18 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

. Although, on the bright side, the $7 GP fee is going towards a medical research fund, which ought to do good things for people with STEM degrees, and I like the idea of people doing STEM degrees!

Rob.

That's all well and good if the money does actually go to that research.
This seems like a good thing to spend $7.00 GP fee on ...
http://www.abc.net.a...er-test/5650280

As of July1 my pay packet went down by $4.00 pw. Medicare levy apparently.

/ not strictly a comment to you robzy, just that you brought up the GP fee.

atomic has π

#19 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican't
  • 40,498 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

She said nothing about a carbon price, otoh. That everyone since has chosen to (mis)represent it as such since is beside the point.

She admitted she lied. You don't have to defend her.

It's kind of like Abbott/Hockey tried to pretend the 2% increase in the top marginal tax rate was a levy, not a tax. Also backfired on them.
"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#20 xnatex

xnatex

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

. Although, on the bright side, the $7 GP fee is going towards a medical research fund, which ought to do good things for people with STEM degrees, and I like the idea of people doing STEM degrees!

Rob.

That's all well and good if the money does actually go to that research.
This seems like a good thing to spend $7.00 GP fee on ...
http://www.abc.net.a...er-test/5650280

As of July1 my pay packet went down by $4.00 pw. Medicare levy apparently.

/ not strictly a comment to you robzy, just that you brought up the GP fee.

That money was going to be sent overseas to contribute to a foreign research program, not domestic. Im off it after i found that out. If our money discovers the cure for something our nation should benefit from selling the patent cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users