• Please log in to reply
6080 replies to this topic

#1121 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

So apparently it's alright to spy on us and see everything we do so long as Journo's and Lawyers are exempt?

I rather took it to mean that consults, once considered private and out of bounds to all other than those in consult, could now

possibly be seen/heard by those with the the right security clearance. ... amazing how differently we interpret stuff :)

The average Joe Blo on the street never had a chance of keeping his communications private ;)

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#1122 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

So the Senate just censured George Brandis over the way he is attacking Gillian Triggs HRC .

Really WTF is up with this Political SYSTEM. Its not even democratic to censure someone as he has spoken the truth. 

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#1123 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

The truth as you agree with it, I think you mean.

The system is always going to seem broken if you don't understand how it works.

There's nothing undemocratic about it at all.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#1124 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

Just looked up "censure' ,so really all is does is tell everyone "Officially" that they are against George Brandis and his comments.

Just thinking about this makes me wonder what type of politicians we have running our country on all sides.

#1125 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

So the Senate just censured George Brandis over the way he is attacking Gillian Triggs HRC .

Really WTF is up with this Political SYSTEM. Its not even democratic to censure someone as he has spoken the truth. 

Just looked up "censure' ,so really all is does is tell everyone "Officially" that they are against George Brandis and his comments.

Just thinking about this makes me wonder what type of politicians we have running our country on all sides.

Understanding matters that you intend to comment on is encouraged. Preferably before you comment on them.

Stupidity kills. Stop and think before you respond to a message. You could save a life.

#1126 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

There's nothing worse than a 'Flaccid ALP'

948.jpg

Stupidity kills. Stop and think before you respond to a message. You could save a life.

#1127 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

http://www.abc.net.a...y-venue/6280820

More in link.

"...Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten raised the matter with Prime Minister Tony Abbott during Question Time today.

"The LNP will host its International Women's Day event at a men's only club in Brisbane. As the Minister for Women,

does the Prime Minister think this is right?"

Mr Abbott said LNP Women had smashed the glass ceiling.

"This is just how wonderful this broad church that I lead is. Just how wonderful the broad church that I lead is,"

he said."Obviously they've now broken down the last barrier and they've made the men only club admit women. Admit women!"

In a written statement, the LNP said the event had been organised by LNP Women.

"Nearly half of the LNP's 14,000 members are women and this event aims to discuss and promote the involvement of

more women in politics at all levels," the statement read.

"The venue was chosen simply on the basis of availability, price and flexibility in a CBD location.

LNP Women appreciate the efforts of Tattersall's Club in accommodating their function at short notice..."

edit: I think the emphasised bit might be Tone's idea of sarcasm ... yeah ?!

Edited by eveln, 04 March 2015 - 08:05 PM.

atomic has π

#1128 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

The Four Corners episode House of Cards painted a pretty ordinary picture of Abbot's government.  I can legitimately see the good intentions, but if the Four Corners interviews were accurate, the way they've been approaching decisions has been atrocious.  An idea I recently came across:

"Information is decentralised—each individual only knows a small fraction of what is known collectively, and as a result, decisions are best made by those with local knowledge, rather than by a central authority."

- Friedrich Hayek

Abbot's tactics before the spill relied heavily on his central authority, and ability to control of information.  How can you develop a cohesive and long term plan for running the country if you're not including information from your peers, and therefore their constituents, in the decision making process?

There seems to be more consultation since the spill, and a number of important concessions have been made, but the ethics behind the tactics being used are still just as abhorrent.  Pyne threatening to cut science funding if cross benchers don't pass the higher education reform that would have resulted in a 20% reduction in education funding, was reprehensible.  Splitting the issue of deregulation from funding reduction was a positive step, but came only after it was obvious that the original bill wouldn't pass.  I'm not sure how many more of these blunders the current leadership can take, but given the chatter among right-wing friends and relatives, the final nail in the coffin might be a Liberal loss in the NSW elections.

Edited by tastywheat, 16 March 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#1129 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

" How can you develop a cohesive and long term plan for running the country, if you're not including information from your peers,

and therefore their constituents, in the decision making process?"

Simple. Most of them, regardless of Party, go into play thinking they've got all the answers ; I mean they were voted in right ?

Also, it seems there is now talk of allowing journos a little privacy re the data retention. Utter bullshit.

edit: http://www.abc.net.a...sources/6323544

Edited by eveln, 16 March 2015 - 10:18 PM.

atomic has π

#1130 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

" How can you develop a cohesive and long term plan for running the country, if you're not including information from your peers,

and therefore their constituents, in the decision making process?"

Simple. Most of them, regardless of Party, go into play thinking they've got all the answers ; I mean they were voted in right ?

Also, it seems there is now talk of allowing journos a little privacy re the data retention. Utter bullshit.

edit: http://www.abc.net.a...sources/6323544

I think this was really to protect the Whistleblowers not the actual Journalists.

Over the past we have seen so many Journalists hounded by the Government and AFP to disclose their sources they have quit journalism. When all they trying to do is expose corruption in our society.

#1131 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

The assistant treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, says there would be real safety concerns if $100m companies published tax information.

Private companies such as those controlled by the billionaire mining magnate Gina Rinehart will be exempt from new laws requiring the publication of their tax information because of fears this could jeopardise their safety and possibly lead to kidnappings.

The assistant treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, told the Coalition party room on Tuesday the publication of the financial statements of large private companies raised real safety concerns. He said the 700 private companies captured by the new law covering more than 1,600 companies with a turnover of more than $100m should be exempt.

The prime minister, Tony Abbott, agreed the Coalition would implement this exemption. The changes will require a legislative amendment.

Frydenberg was responding to questions from senator Cory Bernardi and the New South Wales MP Craig Laundy, who argued private companies should be exempt on commercial and personal security grounds. They argued the information could harm a companys commercial operations and potentially leave private business people and their families at risk of kidnapping.

Mark Zirnsak, of the Tax Justice Network Australia, said the kidnapping argument was nonsense.

This is government giving in to the big end of town, he said. There is no reason why there should not be greater transparency around the tax paid by multinational companies, so there can be community confidence that these companies are paying their share of tax.

Arguments that greater transparency will lead to greater risks of kidnapping are nonsense. Australia is not some fictionalised version of Colombia.

The tax transparency laws, passed by the former Labor government, required that the Australian Tax Office begin publishing tax details of about 1,600 public and private companies with an annual turnover of $100m or more from July. Under the laws, total income, taxable income and income tax payable must be reported.

The ATO says, The first objective of [the laws] is to discourage large corporate tax entities from engaging in aggressive tax avoidance practices. The second objective of these amendments is to provide more information to inform public debate about tax policy, particularly in relation to the corporate tax system.

The shadow assistant treasurer, Andrew Leigh, said the rollback showed the treasurer, Joe Hockey, was full of big talk about cracking down on tax avoidance but consistently lets companies off the hook.

http://www.theguardi...ion?CMP=soc_567

What the actual fuck?  It's like they're not even trying to hide their representation of vested interests anymore.  I can understand how this information could be considered commercially sensitive to some extent, but how exactly would it lead to kidnappings?  It's not as though revealing how much tax these companies pay is the only way for something with criminal intent to work out how much the company is earning.

Edited by tastywheat, 18 March 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#1132 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

This doesn't surprise me. 

Hockey and Abbott think that allowing gen Y to dump their super into their housing, is going to improve affordability, rather than driving up prices. It sounds like they are too cowardly, to address some of the fundamental issues. Watch monday's Q & A, to see Hockey held to account by someone whose actually qualified to give advice on this area. Hockey spews so much bullshit, it's like he's the last link in a human centipede made up of the state real estate bodies, and the HIA. He's happy to tackle soft targets like the 0.5% of residential property owned by foreign investors, but fails to see how hypocritical it is to warn us about the future pension burden, at the same time he tells people it makes sense to invest all your earnings in real estate, because what you need when you retire, is a one easy to access basket, with whatever is left of your eggs at that point in time. Maybe they'll be double, maybe they'll be half, lets just put all the eggs, everyone's eggs, in that one basket and hope for the best. At least Turnbull has the two brain-cells required to understand why removing diversity from a long term investment is not a great thing to gamble the nations future pension bills on.

Then we have possibly the worst piece of human excreta to grace the front bench since the 1930s, Christopher Pyne. Sure, he backed down, with all the grace, sophistication, and mannerisms of Tom Cruise standing on Oprah's couch. But he completely failed to understand that using Australia's research funding as a bargaining chip, in itself, has a huge impact. It's really really hard to retain great scientists in Australia. They sure as fuck don't do it for the paycheck. And when you tell them that in less than three months, they might not have a job, you know what they do? They take the open positions overseas. Some of these scientists, have standing offers from multiple institutions overseas, with perks and a pay rise built in. If you threaten their jobs, with less than three months potential notice, as a bargaining chip, some of them leave. At the end of the day, the government was holding a paltry $150 million back, what they didn't tell us was that it cost us skilled, trained staff who could probably get paid 30% more than they currently are, and are running, maintaining and utilising billions of dollars of investment. 

It's like quibbling over the cost one headlight bulb on your car, and losing months of use of your paid-up vehicle. It's hard to even work out an appropriate metaphor, because it's so stupid.

The current government doesn't have the vision to fix the problems we are in. They don't have the maturity or guts to deal with the root causes, and they sure as hell aren't trying to understand what they don't know. In the lead-up to the spill attempt, the Australian Chamber of Commerce revealed that no offers of assistance to the government, in forming policy have been accepted. Now, that's pretty unprecedented. Is the government going to pretend that the ACC is infested with pinko-commie unionist types? Or is there a more simple explanation? Is the "north shore forum" supposed to supplant independent business interest groups, to allow you to the opportunity to push your case for special snowflakedom, with benefit to the Liberal party coffers?

Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#1133 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican't
  • 40,545 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

My little brother is an urban planner (1st year on the job, so very junior) and there was recently a Sydney Town Hall planning event talking about housing availability.

Everything said in this thread re negative gearing, re rich, re immigrants is 100% wrong. None of those things affects anything massively.

The problem according to urban planners is real simple:

Councils.

People living in inner-city council areas are generally against more development of high-rise dense units. However everyone wants to live close to CBD areas so it is specifically these areas that need development. Because their constituents are against development, the council approvals process is shocking. It takes between 6 and 10 months to approve a small residential construction, whereas for large projects that go to State can actually take less than 2 months to clear legal hurdles.

Basically the issue is our local governments -> the go-slow they effectively impose means supply badly lags demand in areas where demand is highest.
"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#1134 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Everything said in this thread re negative gearing, re rich, re immigrants is 100% wrong. None of those things affects anything massively.

Gotta love black and white statements based on fluff and supported by zero facts.

The most recent look at housing prices in Australia was by the foreign investment review board. They concluded :

There is no one explanation, but a lack of housing supply is the most commonly cited reason for high property prices.
Other factors that the report notes have a larger impact on prices than foreign investment include:

● Strong population growth and higher per capita incomes
● Australians’ ability to take out larger mortgages due to greater access to cheap credit
● The scarce availability and high cost of land to develop
● Low interest rates
● The strength of the economy
● State and local planning regulations and red tape
● Stamp duty and tax arrangements

To suggest it's mainly councils is just bullshit. Complex issues like housing prices rarely, if ever, have a single major cause.

On the positive side, at least your single cause made the top 7 list!
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#1135 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican't
  • 40,545 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

Gotta love black and white statements based on fluff and supported by zero facts.

The most recent look at housing prices in Australia was by the foreign investment review board. They concluded :

There is no one explanation, but a lack of housing supply is the most commonly cited reason for high property prices.
Other factors that the report notes have a larger impact on prices than foreign investment include:

● Strong population growth and higher per capita incomes
● Australians ability to take out larger mortgages due to greater access to cheap credit
● The scarce availability and high cost of land to develop
● Low interest rates
● The strength of the economy
● State and local planning regulations and red tape
● Stamp duty and tax arrangements

To suggest it's mainly councils is just bullshit. Complex issues like housing prices rarely, if ever, have a single major cause.

On the positive side, at least your single cause made the top 7 list!

Sorry Macca.

Gonna go with my brother and the urban planners.

It just makes sense really. I live in a rapidly populating Sydney suburb under the care of Botany Bay Council which has a DA approval average of 136 days!

http://m.smh.com.au/...0329-2gz1a.html

That's 4.5 months to approve average construction. Larger density shit takes longer.

All the things in the FIRB list are eaxcerbaters.

If we had a quicker approvals process we could handle demand due to foreign investment, due to lower interest rates.

It all comes to demand/supply. The councils with the slowest approvals are in the areas of highest demand.
"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#1136 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

Lag in council approval isn't great, but surely 4-5 months is something you can plan around - it's not like people have no warning that there's a shortage of housing stock.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#1137 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Without quoting it all, Id have to agree with Leonid on this.  The same happened to Metro Brisbane in the mid-2000s.  It led, in effect, 2 a doubling of housing prices in less than 3 years, although there was a 15% dip from that valuation in circa 2011-2012.  According to sources, there was a huge influx of interstate migration to the Sunshine State.  There has always been a migration to Qld from the southern states but in those few years, the increase was far in excess of what town planners had in mind.  With demand high, prices soared.  It wasnt till about circa 2009 that you saw the first of the new developments taking shape, 18 months after the need for them.  The damage had already been done.

Although we already have our own home currently, at the time, we were scouting out for potential options.  We came across a development called Wakefield Parkland estates.  Anwyay, we looked around, and ended up at the showroom/office, the cheapest land we could find at the time, AUD$405k.  The median was circa AUD$500k.  Now, bear in mind that his isnt waterfront land.  You cant see the sea, and you are actually just across the road from mangroves, almost literally.  And these are Brisbane prices.  My brothers apartment, which he bought pre- 2005, if memory serves me, for about 80k, he sold for 250k not 5 years later.  The developers themselves are another problem but I wont go into that right now.

The councils are the problem, at least in the Brisbane situation, they are.  They cant do anything about it once the prices rise as they would then be voted out.  Our elected officials are failing us and badly.  When are they going to wake up and start paying attention and to start doing their jobs.  Rant over.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#1138 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

Rubbish Leonid.

Last figures were what, 5% of housing investment going into new developments?

Less than 14% of auction clearances in Victoria going to people who will live in the property?

Reduce negative gearing when it is applied to existing residential properties, and give negative gearing when it applies to new housing stock.

It's certainly not going to make things any worse.

In Victoria at least, those leadtimes are completely wrong. Mind you, Melbourne is relatively more affordable (7 point something median average wages, vs 9 for Sydney). So maybe that's aggravating a problem, but at 6 months, you go straight to VCAT/State level here, if you get blocked at Council, and Council summarily loses 95+ percent of VCAT hearings against proposed developments.

Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#1139 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

Total capacity is certainly an issue in places like Sydney, but we're still at the stage where it's entirely possible to move out of your parents home and support yourself with a basic service job in your late teens/early 20s.  You may have to compromise on housemates, quality, location, and/or price, but you can find a place to live in most capital cities without too much effort.

Affordability is a bigger issue than capacity, and it's more complicated than just council approval.  We've reached a stage where it's not possible for people on reasonable salaries to switch from renting to owning without significant compromises.  They're essentially turning their salary into assets for investors, accelerating the wealth gap.

Flooding the market with extra capacity could have some potentially very negative effects.  The most significant would be not maintaining the balance between capacity and real demand (i.e. the number of people who want to live in a house, as opposed to the number of people who want to invest in a house).  Swing too far one way, and the housing bubble bursts, resulting in big losses for investors.  Additionally, depending on how the extra capacity is made available, it can also cause problems with infrastructure, urban sprawl, and traffic congestion etc.

Suggesting that the only solution to the problem is capacity, and that all other factors are "100% wrong", reveals a shallow, ignorant understanding of what's actually going on.

#1140 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

..." Then we have possibly the worst piece of human excreta to grace the front bench since the 1930s, Christopher Pyne. Sure, he backed down, with all the grace, sophistication, and mannerisms of Tom Cruise standing on Oprah's couch."...

Thanks Tinbane for such an excellent post up there. Pyne seems to be really coming into his own now, which is most unfortunate

for the rest of us. Was thinking of iViewing Q&A tonight ... not so sure I need to now ;)

atomic has π

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users