• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 trevjo

trevjo

Serf

• Lurker
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I am trying to overclock my second machine which I primarily use for FSX. It has a Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme motherboard. When I do a simple increase on the Bclk up to 160 and then run CPUID it shows it as still being at stock. But if I go back in to the BIOS it shows 160??? What am I missing here?? Cheers Trev

Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 - i7 3770K - Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra Tower

#2 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

This appears to be a pretty good guide to get started.

http://www.overclock...r-930-to-4-0ghz

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ ? | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | EVGA RAM 3200 @ ?  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#3 trevjo

trevjo

Serf

• Lurker
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

This appears to be a pretty good guide to get started.

http://www.overclock...r-930-to-4-0ghz

Thanks
Quick read through has already cleared up several things for me
Cheers

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

What speeds are you hoping to push? Cooling? D0 revision chip? I have some mild overclock settings saved if you need a screen dump of my bios. Let us know how it goes!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 trevjo

trevjo

Serf

• Lurker
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

What speeds are you hoping to push?

Cooling?

D0 revision chip?

I have some mild overclock settings saved if you need a screen dump of my bios.
Let us know how it goes!

I was hoping to get around 3.5

Cooling is a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Cooler

Ram is G Skill PI Series 3x2 DDR3 1600

CPU Revision is C0/C1

I built this machine back in Mid 2009 and use it mainly for FSX which is a lot more CPU intensive than GPU
hence the reason I want to get it running a bit quicker if possible.

Thanks for the reply Scythe.
A screen dump of your settings would give me a starting point.

Cheers
Trevor

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Ive had mine to 4.6 stable on air. It is a D0 revision though; and I'm using a Noctua C12P. The weakpoints on my mobo were the PWM's which the C12 cooled better than the U12. With a 'C' series chip overclocking wont be fun. Expect to use a lot more volts than I will have. But yeah I'll throw you a Genie Bios dump when I get home. I think i'm sitting on 3.4 right now; I never did retune for winter like i normally do. In summer my computer room gets up to 45degs ambient. Then add in the 3 PCs.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 12 August 2014 - 08:31 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Splash1

Splash1

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

Hi Trevjo,

Good luck with O.C. I never got around to overclocking my 940 due to various commitments but thinking about overclocking and testing with FSX Steam environment or P3D. Yeh I'm another wing nut, and AirHauler addict! 

Hence,I would be most interested in your performance increases when O.C. is stable, and I don't know if you have thought about FSX-SE or P3d yourself? These versions are apparently more stable due to the recompilled code. But all that is another post and chapter by it's self.

Edited by Splash1, 18 September 2015 - 11:04 PM.

i7-940@2.93GHz / GA-EX58-UD5 / Corsair 6Gb DDR3(TR3X6G1600C8D) / Nvidia GTS250(267.24) / RAID5 - 3x WD1500HLFS / Corsair HX620W / Lian Li PC-A20B / 24"ASUS MK241H(1920x1200) / Vista 64bit Ultimate. CH FighterStick & ProThrottle / TrackIRv4 / Logitech G15 KB & G9 Mouse - FSX (Gold)/ FTX OrbX / REX2.0 / ActiveSky.Ev / RCv4.3 / FSC / FSPX / AUTraffic301 / Ozx / Air Hauler Fan / Falcon BMS

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Woah! more than a year bump!

and mean old me, never did get him my BIOS dump, lol.

Oh well, there's tons of overclocking guides for those chips now; just know the volts and temps in their examples will be too low for a 'C' revision chip.

I ran 97*C all day every day, and its still table.

#9 Splash1

Splash1

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

LOL

Here's another bump.....

When you refer to the CPU as Revision C , what data can you draw this from. Link below regarding data I've reviewed from Wikpedia.

https://en.wikipedia...t_generation.29

i7-940@2.93GHz / GA-EX58-UD5 / Corsair 6Gb DDR3(TR3X6G1600C8D) / Nvidia GTS250(267.24) / RAID5 - 3x WD1500HLFS / Corsair HX620W / Lian Li PC-A20B / 24"ASUS MK241H(1920x1200) / Vista 64bit Ultimate. CH FighterStick & ProThrottle / TrackIRv4 / Logitech G15 KB & G9 Mouse - FSX (Gold)/ FTX OrbX / REX2.0 / ActiveSky.Ev / RCv4.3 / FSC / FSPX / AUTraffic301 / Ozx / Air Hauler Fan / Falcon BMS

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

he says in post 5

"CPU Revision is C0/C1"

And from experience with overclocking in those days, I can guarantee the D0 revision were the perfect overclockers. Needed fewer volts, made less heat.

Not significant, but gets you into the 4GHZ club on a D0, where as on a C revision, you'd often be stopped at 3.7 due to heat (due to needed volts)

here's a discussion where they mention C0 vs D0 a fair bit

http://www.hardwarec...ng-4ghz-d0.html

#11 gunny

gunny

Master

• Atomican
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

I'm still on a 920 love to hear if your OCing was worth it, I run every new release fine. No need to upgrade it

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

Mine was, 110%!!!!

I run it daily, on air cooling, reaching above 90*C owned it since release day and only retired it about 3 months ago because "I wanted new tech" nothing else.

My settings are actually VERY similar to his "not stable" settings in the thread I posted above; Only mine was stable, because D0 revision.

I DID have to drop it to 3.8ghz for summer, but thats because my house has no insulation and it would reach 97*C which I set as a manual cut off.

made thigns like rendering video, ripping MP3s and more TONS faster.

AT LEAST take it to 3.2ghz, they all do that with stock everything and a BCLK bump to 160.

MAYBE bump the voltages up ONE incriment, but I expect it wont be neccesary

Edited by Master_Scythe, 23 September 2015 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users