• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#1 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

* UPDATE ON PAGE 4 ABOUT HALF WAY DOWN*  Still potentially room for 1 more if someone speaks up.

OK. So, I got my grubby mitts on the D&D Next starter kit. This is not the full blown release. This is like the "Sample pack". It's got a full adventure (Lvls 1 - 5). It's got pre-gen'd characters (I'll get to this in a moment). It's got basic rules.

Now, I'm looking for 5 players.

I'm going to throw 'experience out the window' in this one. It's open to all. So apply here. If you can give a quick "Days/times available + reason for wanting to play" I'll then choose players from that pool (Provided it's a pool and not a puddle. :P Losers can't be choosers sometimes).

I will request that people have their own dice. (Online rollers are available if you want to go that route).
I'm open to suggestions on how we 'chat' for the game. (Voice chat only. Typing is a pain in the arse. Been there, done that, never again)
The game will be 'narrative'. So no maps/minatures etc.
It will be honour based. I won't track your spells or hitpoints. That's up to you. But you only cheat yourself if you cheat.

The basic rules are available for download for free from WOTC. (It's a bit of a 'first ones free kid'. Premium content costs extra). I'm only going to allow "Freebie content" in this game. If you get your hands on a Players Handbook, you can't play warlock because it's Premium. Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue. Basic races. Basic starting rules. EDIT: http://dnd.wizards.c.....iendly)_0.pdf

I tend to favour "Rules as Written" but GM's decision is final. Sometimes "Intent of Rules" overrides.

I am not a malicious DM. I will tend to favour giving a chance rather than kill outright. But it will tend to be only 1 chance. If you blow it with a silly decision, roll a new character.

I am not a serious Role Player. If you want to Meta the entire game, go for it. If you want to be in character, go for it. But I do apply rules. eg. If you all brainstorm an idea which is quite brilliant, I might get the character with the highest intelligence roll a D20 to make a check against intelligence. If they fail, the character doesn't think of it and the party is barred from doing it. If they succeed, BAM. Go for it. Obvious ideas get low DC. Complex convoluted ideas with extra meta will have a high DC.

AD
-edited with link to basic rules-

Edited by AccessDenied, 24 August 2014 - 02:27 PM.

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Maybe interested. I have only two classes a week this term - so it'd sort of depend on how long you think it will go for. The last P&P RPG I played was a single game of L5R. What ruleset would this be, 5?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yes. D&D 5. Latest incarnation. Players Handbook not released yet. But Starter kit is. I'm going to be flexible on timings. It'll have to be evening during week. (Pretty much any night). Saturdays (preferrably evening). NO SUNDAYS! Friday and Saturday sessions can run later. Otherwise, it will tend to be an 8pm - 11pm session. (AEST or AEDST depending on time of year), but don't be surprised if I don't start the game til 8:30pm. AD

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

If it's not starting til 8/later, then any night of the week works for me, I should be home from classes by 7:30-8 at the latest. Moreso worried if it stretches out for too many months I will end up overseas again and then I'll be asleep for AEST nights.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

I've been advised that it's about 12 hrs of sessions to finish the module. +/- a few hours of course. I try to do weekly. Thus, it should be 1 - 2 months from 'session 1'. AD

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I played a little of 5 already, thanks to a mate of mine who got in on the first playtests. I expect it's changed since then - there were some unsmooth bits. ;P

I'd be in for this too, but given the house layout, using a headset in the evening would not earn me any friends irl.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#7 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Did you play with the Atomic group (me gm'ing) for the playtest? I ran about 1/2 dozen playtests of D&D Next with Atomicans. Brain fart. I could look it up. Yeah.. However, reading the rules, they are significantly different to the initial first 4 - 5 months of playtest. Ad

#8 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

Did you play with the Atomic group (me gm'ing) for the playtest? I ran about 1/2 dozen playtests of D&D Next with Atomicans.

Nah, it was a mate of mine in ADL. We've been playing various systems in various groups since the early '90s.

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

12 hours is doable for me.

#10 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

12 hours is doable for me.

Heh - choose the right day, and I could probably manage 12 hours in the one session. ;) Done it before irl.

It's just tricky atm to juggle my sleeping with everyone else's, and fit it around disturbing the rest of the house.

#11 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Crickets chirp. Love to run this. Love Atomicans.. Love me??? AD

#12 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

The people I know who would maybe want to be in on this are travelling/in wrong timezones/are already running campaigns :<

#13 Ihsan

Ihsan

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Hmm, depending on the day/time (and the possibility of being allowed to PK Nich) I could be interested. Though I have nfi what I did with my dice after 4th ed came out...
All are welcome in wonderland ‘Till the queen screams off with your head And life will always get twisted When you’re living it through the looking glass

#14 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Ihsan, you can use online dicerollers if that is what you need. I'll provide links. Nich: I want to provide something suitable for all, and I hope it includes you and your time. Right now, you're the most vocal and most willing (Sucker?) and as such, I'd be more flexible for you. I'd love to get a variety of experience in this. Newbies + old timers wanting to try the new system. AD

#15 Ihsan

Ihsan

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

Noooooooooo. My d20 must be placed in a freezer 20 side up before a game. Do not question these things. I'm sure they're in a box with miniatures somewhere, I'd just have to look.
All are welcome in wonderland ‘Till the queen screams off with your head And life will always get twisted When you’re living it through the looking glass

#16 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:31 AM

Noooooooooo. My d20 must be placed in a freezer 20 side up before a game. Do not question these things.

Freezing is ok, but if you microwave or oven them, I'm going to have to hurt you. ;P

#17 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Assuming we can get people and days sorted, we so far have Ihsan and Nich. (And if Cybes can talk really quietly. :P But unless I get a definite yes, I won't include you yet Cybes). The timing will be based on Eastern Australia. Approx 8:30pm - 10:30pm. Any night except Sundays. Minimum players is 4 players + me. I can fudge numbers enough to account for shortfalls. But I want to be able to have fighter, cleric, wizard and rogue in party. 5 players is what the adventure was written for, but I can wing that figure. AD

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'd be in for Mondays I think.... tuesday i go out with mates. Wednesday is late night coffee Thursday is late night shopping. Friday is car meet and cruise. Saturday\sunday is my weekend :P

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#19 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

The timing will be based on Eastern Australia. Approx 8:30pm - 10:30pm. Any night except Sundays.

That time of day I'm firmly asleep atm. Currently waking around 1am, and working on about 17 hours awake.

Yes, I know that's fucked up.

#20 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Ihsan/Nich: Is Monday nights a good night? How about you Cybes? (And you replied whilst I was typing.. Never mind) I don't want to mess you up with this. With MS and Cybes we have enough to get started if the night Monday 8:30 - 10:30pm is ok. The general rule I've been given is 15hrs of gameplay for this starter module. AD

Edited by AccessDenied, 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users