239 replies to this topic

#41 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Cleric and Wizard..  Check.

Cat:  I'll check the 'pre-roll' that comes with the game.  If it's not appropriate, I'll roll one for you.  (Good practice!)

Chaos:  Welcome..

I'm going to want to try and keep this "Fighter, cleric, wizard and rogue" (That's what this adventure is built around), but I'm happy for 'own rolled' characters.  The latest Basic Rules are now available online (V2.0).  Now with extra spells for wizards IIRC.

For rogues, backstab is now easier to implement.  Significantly easier.  Less faffing about with flanking or stealth or whatever.

Fighters are more consistent damage and increased likelyhood to hit.  Also designed to be more 'party protector' (So giving disadvantage to enemies attacking an ally for example)

AD

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#42 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I require a sword of +11 Stabbing to Death. What sort of character best suits me?

Stupidity kills. Stop and think before you respond to a message. You could save a life.

#43 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Well magic weapons are severely limited in 5th ed.

I'd suggest either rogue or fighter.  Fighter is more consistent.  Rogue is more 'spikey' with damage.  Some massive wonders.  And then some simple basic strikes.

AD

#44 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Well magic weapons are severely limited in 5th ed.

I'd suggest either rogue or fighter.  Fighter is more consistent.  Rogue is more 'spikey' with damage.  Some massive wonders.  And then some simple basic strikes.

AD

Probably a Rogue, if the character sheets are anything like SPECIAL then I like to spec High Int, Perception and Charisma, average everything else and I like sneak attack crits if that's a thing.

Stupidity kills. Stop and think before you respond to a message. You could save a life.

#45 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Reaper:  I'm giving you the warning that D&D 5 is ....  different...

Int doesn't give huge skill bonus's anymore.  (IF that's what you're angling for)

Wisdom = Perception.

Charisma = diplomacy/intimidation etc

For big crits, you'll want Dex.  (Finesse weapon)

I'll give you more details in a bit.  I bought the PHB today!  (HOORAY!!)

I'll look into it and advise you.  Did you want me to build for you or did you want to build yourself with guidance?

AD

#46 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,428 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

I usually play Bard (so rogue class).  Not sure about latest version - will have to look up stuff.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#47 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Reaper:  I'm giving you the warning that D&D 5 is ....  different...

Int doesn't give huge skill bonus's anymore.  (IF that's what you're angling for)

Wisdom = Perception.

Charisma = diplomacy/intimidation etc

For big crits, you'll want Dex.  (Finesse weapon)

I'll give you more details in a bit.  I bought the PHB today!  (HOORAY!!)

I'll look into it and advise you.  Did you want me to build for you or did you want to build yourself with guidance?

AD

I have seriously never played any D & D before, what I know I know because I'm from the internet. The only RPGs I've played are PC ones and a few ancient MUDs waaaay back in the day. My recent experience with character gen is limited to Fallout 3 and New Vegas but I do almost always tend to build characters a certain way and play them a certain way so I might get you to guide me through the process beforehand.

#48 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

One day I will play a Bard or Cleric hybrid and RP Jesus. But not this game.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#49 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Reaper:  No worries.

So, I'll give some basic suggestions for now for Rogue so you can mentally build around the idea.

First:  Dexterity.. 70% your core skills are based on this.  Disarm traps?  Dex.  Dodge?  Dex.  Attack?  Dex.

Second:  Wisdom.  Next 10%.  Wisdom covers perception based things.  Searching for treasure?  Wis.  Spotting traps?  Wis.  (Think of it as inately knowing where to look for treasure/traps)

Third:  Constitution:  Next 10%.  This is health and ability to not be affected by harmful effects.  You'll often be near frontline if you want to backstab.  Having the extra hitpoints will help if you are here.

Fourth:  Charisma:  Call it 8%.The artful dodger.  Useful for social (But I suggest it's usefuless will be limited in this campaign.  Rely on Cleric for this)

Fifth tied sixth:  Intelligence and Strength.  Knowledge is good.  But so is strength.  For a rogue, they're not essential.  Intelligence can actually be a 'dump stat'.  Strength is marginally more useful as it allows you to carry more, jump further etc.

However, I'm willing to be flexible. 

Perhaps if you think of Wisdom as 'innate understanding' and seperate it from Intelligence it will help you with your mindset of character.

AD

#50 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,428 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

One day I will play a Bard or Cleric hybrid and RP Jesus. But not this game.

In the last game I ever played I was a Bard/Cleric dual class.

That was SO fun. :)

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#51 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Just for lols I did a which D & D character are you quiz I don't have much to compare it to but it seems reasonable enough to me.

Spoiler

http://www.easydamus.../character.html

#52 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

hehehe..  Nice...

Bard Cleric can work well.  It's just a shame spell levels don't stack. (in 3.5.  Not sure on 5 yet)

Bard/Rogue/Shadow Dancer was DEADLY!  First level in rogue.  Get the MAJOR skill points.  Bump everything.  Next level bard.  ALL POINTS INTO PERFORM(DANCE) with any remaining in hide if possible.   Next few levels in rogue.  Get Hide to 10.  Shadow Dancer. 

BAM..  Before fight, Perform (Inspiration. +1 to hit and damage for everyone).  Go to fight.  "HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT".  Backstab.  "HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT"  Backstab.  Oh you cast a spell at me?  EVASION!  No damage.

If you didn't want to be backstabbed, you had to focus on the Shadow dancer which you could ONLY do 50% of the time, because the rest of the time the shadow dancer had vanished.

High enough level?  SHADOW JUMP.  50' away?  Let me hide in plain sight, then shadow jump into YOUR shadow, then backstab you.

AD

#53 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,428 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hmmm.. is there a link to the sheets we should be using.

I've rolled (and rerolled) a character and now I'm working through the list of stuff from the pdf.  I just need somewheres to writes it down.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#54 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

In the Basic PDF there should be one.  In the last 5 - 10 pages.

AD

#55 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,428 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Ahhh K.  I haven't gotten that far through yet.

Elven Bard is my usual line.  Might make this one a Spy.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#56 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Reading the PHB.. Then turned to the front for whatever reason (Blame reddit).  Read the disclaimer.

This is genuine.  From PHB:

Disclaimer:  Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in th emouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, "Are you really sure?"

AD

#57 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

Just for lols I did a which D & D character are you quiz I don't have much to compare it to but it seems reasonable enough to me.

Spoiler

Heh, close on human or elf, and neutral good.

Spoiler

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#58 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,428 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Spoiler

Heh, close on human or elf, and neutral good.

Spoiler

LOL

Chaotic Neutral Half Elf Bard here according to that quiz.

Apparently I tend to roleplay reasonably true to form :P

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#59 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Damn Tuesdays :(

If you use Vent\TS can I request a 'grant to speak' approval for the players; and leave the room open? so people can be a fly on the wall to the game in play?

I'm out too often on Tuesdays to commit but I'd love to listen in when I am free.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#60 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

hhee..

I'll look over this in the next day or so..  I'll update OP in that time.  I'll then PM people..  In meantime, those interested, please discuss what method of communication you feel is best.  I'll try to work on it.

If all else fails, I'll rebuild my vent server and we'll use that.  (Or we could use G+ hangout).  Whatever.

AD

I have a TS server. A game I was in tried to use skype but that wasn't as good as a typical vent server. I paid like $40 for 12months on a Teamspeak server that seems to work well.

Oh and we used http://roll20.net/ which is pretty good.

"Sometimes when you're in a dark place you think you've been buried. But actually you've been planted"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users