Photo

Embedded images

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Poll: Embedded images (26 member(s) have cast votes)

In v.3.0 of the forums, did you use the profile setting to hide embedded images?

1. Yes (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. No (21 votes [80.77%])

Percentage of vote: 80.77%

Would you prefer to have gifs enabled?

1. No (10 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Yes (16 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,969 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

Just curious and all. We have lots of new features, but it seems we can no longer give users the option of electing to not view embedded images, which would have included gifs.

So if we keep gifs available*, there's no real way of unseeing them apart from using your browser to disable all images.

*subject to them not being abused

I'm about to turn GIF embedding back on, with the caveat that their use has to be within [ spoiler ] tags.

Edited by Nich..., 30 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.
Updates!

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

Nich and I have been arguing about this all evening.

They are visually irritating and make it hard to process text when you are trying to read a thread.  GIFs are the suxxor and should not be enabled at all.  They are clutter and horrid.

No.  Gifs.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#3 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

Nyj9cWz.png

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#4 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Nicely done Cyber.  Exactly why gifs should be banned.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,969 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Exactly why they should be allowed. Much more succinct way of expressing his thoughts.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Anyway, I think it'd be better if the few users who can't stand them install the relevant browser plug-in to have them remain static. e.g. GIF Scrubber.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#7 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

That browser add-on crashes my window.

And no, it means I have to read the posts around it a half dozen times to work out what's going on in a thread.  How sucky is that.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#8 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

In a conversation gifs can lighten the mood or be succinct, so I've no objection to them being used like that.

In avartars and sigs, not such a fan. I reckon they'd be hugely distracting to any thread, used like that.

... also I don't block the ads ( as much as I detest them ) so I see no reason to block gifs.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#9 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hmm, seems these GIF blockers are naive and can't block animated png files. :/

#10 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Animooted GIFs are awesome.

But maybe do something with IP Board so that you get a limit of one GIF per post, but 10 of any other kind of image.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#11 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

We can't be that granular SS.

It's fairly simple.  Conform to standards of accessibility and useability - disallow gifs.  Don't take accessibility into account and allow gifs.

Why do you think there was such a fuss when those animated ads were at the top of the site?  They looked like crap, but brought in revenue except that people turned to adblockers to get rid of them - so they didn't.

Animated gifs are the same.  Except you can't easily turn them off.  So people are stuck and forced to watch crap loop when they are trying to read a thread.

They stay off.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#12 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

We can't be that granular SS.

It's fairly simple.  Conform to standards of accessibility and useability - disallow gifs.  Don't take accessibility into account and allow gifs.

Why do you think there was such a fuss when those animated ads were at the top of the site?  They looked like crap, but brought in revenue except that people turned to adblockers to get rid of them - so they didn't.

Animated gifs are the same.  Except you can't easily turn them off.  So people are stuck and forced to watch crap loop when they are trying to read a thread.

They stay off.

... but but you said yourself that if something like the " gif scrubber " was used ... " means I have to read the posts around it a half dozen times to work out what's

going on in a thread.  How sucky is that."

Won't you be missing something from the thread if you don't bother to click on them anyway ?

You only have to focus on the gif as you read through the post. Not everyone < me puts hand up here > will be bothered to use gifs surely. Well, maybe like the

" like" button it may get a little silly at first, but evenually it would settle ... hopefully before anyone goes toooo loopy :D

atomic has π

#13 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

She dont like gifs so noone can have them.

So quaint why did you bother with the new softwhere, if one mods opinion of what functions to have, are going to make it as dysfunctional as the old one.

Should have saved your money.

Chaos.Lady Did you just disable gifs just cause you dont like them. I tried to post one and was told that extension is not allowed in this community ?

I suspect its down to plain old penny pinching, same as the host offsite stuff is, cant afford the few pence it cost to serve up some media in the posts.

Edited by Waltish, 20 August 2014 - 09:40 AM.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#14 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

2c : GIFs tend to be vastly overused and very irritating - however, as Nich said they can be a "much more succinct way of expressing [oneself]".  It would be nice to be able to trust that people won't overuse them, but they will, even if they don't mean to - there are a lot of people who have no idea how to trim their quotes, and each one is going to carry a copy of the damned things.  What would be nice is for animations to stop/start when clicked, so you could view it when you want to, but not have the whole page crawling by default.  (Yes, there are plugins, and Opera used to be able to have that setting on a checkbox, but that isn't the point.)

Until such a thing is possible and implemented, however, I'm in favour of disallowing them.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#15 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

This shit is just so arbitrary, why pretend to discuss it, you go against the poll (which has not been up vary long) then ingnore what people say.

This is not the Atomic forums, this is the Kingdom of chaos lady.

Was just slowly getting back into posting here again, oh looks like I need to rip van winkle for a bit longer.

PS: so what if some folks post a few too many big "f"ing deal, they can be warned if that fails then banned for a bit and if it keeps up permabanned, just like other forum abuses are dealt with.

I call shennanigans on the thread, a fake discussion to cover for at worst an arbitrary decision by the Goddess of Atomic who just wants it how she wants it, or at best a cover for penny pinching.

Edited by Waltish, 20 August 2014 - 10:14 AM.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#16 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,685 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Maybe we need a GIF room or GIF thread, don't want us to go completely wild.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#17 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

It's not penny pinching, and I for one will be looking at this closely. If enough folks want it, and we want folks to be comfortable, I'll give it some thought. But at the same time, if enough folks don't - regardless of who wins - I still need to think of that. 

And at the end of the day, the decision rests with me, not Chaos, so you can lay off that right now :)

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#18 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hmmm.

Could do with a gif about now ... to lighten the mood 

atomic has π

#19 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

*dancing editor.gif*

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#20 hulkster

hulkster

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 17,056 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

*dancing editor.gif*

Please god Do NOT be naked, do NOT be naked...

<strong class='bbc'>Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and<br /><br />oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital<br /><br />ingredient in beer.</strong>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users