• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

You may've noticed we played with this a little tonight.

I've just set it up to allow negative voting, too.

Use it for downvoting irrelevant or useless posts. Don't use it because it's a popularity contest and you want to get your hate on.

Think of it as stuff that you think shouldn't be in a thread, but isn't objectionable enough to report to a mod to have it removed.

You get ten per day. Don't waste them, you're not getting more.

...same goes for upvoting. Use it if you find something +1 worthy, or insightful, not because they're your friend.

We'll see how it plays out over the next week or so. If it's not being abused, congrats, we get a new toy.

Edited by Nich..., 20 August 2014 - 08:17 PM.
updates

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

What does down or up voting a post actually do to it though?

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
PSN - PointZeroOne-AI
icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

uplay - PointZeroOne-AI

#3 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Be kinda neat if a given number of upvotes adjusted your profile's star rating.

Still uselesss, but shiny!

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#4 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

If we are lucky - voting will do nothing.

That way people won't bother to upvote their friends and downvote those they don't like.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#5 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

If it does nothing, what's the point?

Wasn't the being able to like a post better?

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
PSN - PointZeroOne-AI
icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

uplay - PointZeroOne-AI

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Right now, rep voting is only linked to the reputation that appears on your profile page.

It can be used as an at-a-glance gauge of a poster's contribution to the community (not that it is by any means an accurate or important or only measure of worth/contribution).

If it's not abused, we can maybe look at implementing a feature where x downvotes = post is hidden by default, spoiler-tag style.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#7 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

*shrug*

I'd have thought so.

Oh - and it's also used to hide posts by n00bs and hilight those made by people with large groups of sheep friends.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#8 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

It'd be great for hiding useless posts that contribute nothing to the discussion, without the mods having to get involved. It's also a nice way to recognise a good contribution. It works well on some websites, not so well on others. That's why we're trialing it here.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#9 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

And already first is at -3.

This trial I think will be brief.

Meanwhile, it's something I'll abstain from.  Even fajw is allowed to express his POV.  I don't think he should be downvoted for it, but I forsee it happening.

AD

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#10 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

And already first is at -3.

This trial I think will be brief.

Meanwhile, it's something I'll abstain from.  Even fajw is allowed to express his POV.  I don't think he should be downvoted for it, but I forsee it happening.

AD

It's not supposed to be for downvoting people you disagree with, it's for downvoting posts that are irrelevant or spam. Plus you can see who voted what by clicking the number.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#11 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

A more useful thing outside of green room / general chat whatever its called. I think upvoting useful advice on a tech issue is a big plus.

Hey nich, somethin else i asked for years ago :p

#12 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

I can see this working in things like Building/troubleshoot and similar forums. 

But I can forsee abuse in greenroom.

But then.  I am super happy if I'm proven wrong..  (On the greenroom.  Not building/troubleshooting)

AD

#13 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

It is so much easier to just see how people use it rather than make assumptions that are ultimately untested.

Edited by Nich..., 20 August 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#14 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

I gave Reaper a " like " last night. << almost sounds dodgy that ... because I liked the gif he posted.

I'd like to say I'll forget to use them, but it's getting awful bright down there on the right ;) My feelings atm are akin to

AD's , but it's early days yet.

Given human nature, what it's not supposed to be used for is still likely to occur ...

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#15 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

Yeah.  I'll just sit back an watch..

AD

#16 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

They are pretty bright. If it's an issue for others, we can request something more subtle - maybe just coloured ^ type arrows, rather than blocky buttons.

#17 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

AD

While I disagree with pretty much everything he posts and says and does and is - he still has a right to say it.

This system will allow his posts to be basically hidden - no matter what he posts - because there will be a group of people who will downvote anything by him that they see.

It's not like we've seen that behaviour before or anything of course...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#18 ReapermanRS

ReapermanRS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

Out of interest has anyone been watching Utopia on the ABC....

Stupidity kills. Stop and think before you respond to a message. You could save a life.

#19 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

They are pretty bright. If it's an issue for others, we can request something more subtle - maybe just coloured ^ type arrows, rather than blocky buttons.

I think the coloured arrows would be very schmick.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#20 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,671 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

And just from this single thread, too.

Copy/paste wrecks shit. Look at that post above this one?!

This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users