• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

Anyone know of a email client that is stable?

It seems the latest version of TB is extremely unstable and crashes a lot. Nearly lost all my email.

Its looks like TB is going down the same road as FF with rapid deployment of untested builds.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Outlook 2013 :-)

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#3 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

I haven't used Thunderbird for ages but i remember it being really stable before.

Might be an idea to try and older version?

FF is getting really dodgy now, makes me rather sad as I started using Mozilla when it was initially released.

Edited by Xen, 22 August 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#4 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

I like Sylpheed  - I run it on a low memory netbook - Never crashed on me so far.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thunderbird has been on maintenance releases for years.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

I've been using Pegasus for POP/SMTP for longer than I can remember.  Rock stable, and won't autorun anything unless you go out of your way to make it do that.

Edit: Typo fix.

Edited by Cybes, 25 August 2014 - 02:09 PM.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#7 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Speaking of email clients, I'm really surprised to see YAM is still getting updates.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#8 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Can anyone remember a email client from the The Atomic mags CD ,i think it was a freebie in the first two years.

It was a good one that had everything and even saved the emails out to separate file after each month.

Just cannot remember the name of it.

Next problem is converting TB mail to new client. I keep emails dating back to 2009 for reference.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#9 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

I use Thunderbird and haven't had any problems. Either on Windows or GNU/Linux based systems.

#10 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

If you use a gtk based desktop, Geary and Evolution are both pretty good.

I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,919 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

I'll chime in too; I use portable thunderbird myself, never an issue.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#12 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Next problem is converting TB mail to new client. I keep emails dating back to 2009 for reference.

If I remember correctly, Thunderbird uses mbox format - Sylpheed can import this format.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,919 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

wow Cybes, PEGASUS mail looks really pretty boss....... I'm in!

Is it portable? being stable on Pre-XP systems would suggest it is....

Edited by Master_Scythe, 29 August 2014 - 11:54 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#14 Midnighter

Midnighter

Titan

• Atomican
  • 28,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

Been using THunderbird for ages fine, with no troubles that i've noticed. Been trying Kmail recently as well, and seems nice, handles my Gmail accounts and calendars fine. Thunderbird is still preferred tho, being cross-platform, but basically it and Kmail are all i'm really using of late.

Marcus Aurelius: ‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.’

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users