• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Next year I'll have the joy of moving to the middle of a desert to work/live. I've been wondering just how different coling methods - air, water - work in that kind of environment. There'll be airconditioning, but it won't be running all the time. There's the potential for a lot of residual heat leaking from walls that have the sun on them for 12 hours.

I've always had air cooling, and for the last... I don't actually know how many years, probably since '06 or so, I've just had a TRU120 setup. But I'm a little worried if that'll be ok after the move. And I'm a little worried that if I go for water, the radiator/fans being outside the case* will create extra noise I'd prefer to avoid.

Winter won't be too much of an issue when it cools down, but I'm a bit concerned with the majority of the year hovering between 37 and 45.

*As much as I love full sized towers, if I get a media microserver then my desktop might get put into a much smaller case.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,396 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

You still have to cool the water and the best hope with radiator+fans is to get it closer down to ambient.

I rebuilt my machine early this year (all aircooled) and went for a more minimal setup.  Even the optical drives when not in use contribute to heat since they lower the amount of void space.

Removed one optical, removed the digital TV card that barely gets used.  Replaced 1.75 TB in 3 drives with 2 TB in single drive.

Gave the humungous aftermarket HSF a total cleanup, fresh paste on the CPU.  Replaced a somewhat hot HD4870 with a cooler running HD5850.

All that probably lowered the internal temp by nearly 10 degrees.  It's not had to endure any real hot days yet but I'd say it'll handle it way better than in it's previous config.

I don't like huge towers myself.  This box has 4 x 5" bays which these days I find excessive in itself.  Future build I'd be going for something smaller.  Since my machine's on all the time, I now prefer to have extras that can just plug into USB rather than having them inside, wasting electricity and contributing to heat death.

#3 g0t.w00t?

g0t.w00t?

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

Thought about a new case and moving to an AIO cooler? The H105 is pretty good, and fits in a mid tower easy (I have mine in an NZXT H440 with push/pull).

It can keep my CPU cool on a 1.4v 4.9GHz+ OC, so running stock speeds @ ambient 45 you should see high 50's to mid 60's under normal loads (Maybe up to high 60's but that's very acceptable.)

Quote by hectorbustnuts --- WHAT THE FUCK IS A "PUFFY VAG"!?
http://valid.canardp....php?id=1777609
5GHz 4790K - http://i975.photobuc...h1986/7-214.png

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

If I get a much smaller case, I figure I can probably use it as a deskstand under my monitor. Space is going to likely be a real consideration I have to work around; the TRU wouldn't fit either.

Which brings me back concerns about heat sources and noise. If it was in a medium tower where all the fans can be placed internally to lower noise, then yeah, maybe an AIO.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

aio is louder than air in most cases although some larger ones with 3x120 rads can be fairly quiet

your hsf is a good one what is it cooling and in what case?

how hot does it get now?

Edited by Dasa, 19 September 2014 - 12:07 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

It's currently in a P182 with a 120mm Antec (maybe?) fan. i5-750 @ stock (I think? 2.66GHz) is currently sitting on around 25-30 - it's probably about 10 degrees ambient in here, tho' maybe 15. I don't load speedfan up too often, but I'm pretty sure it's been rare to see it go much over 50-60 in summer. I'd maybe be surprised if it's a linear +20 over ambient tho'.

Temperatures in this new location hover around 47-45 for most of the year. Aircon is probably set to around 27, but isn't on during the day. Near the westerly walls - where I'm likely to end up with a small desk - the temperature will often be 30-35 thanks to radiating heat.

I've looked at the Nanoxia and Fractal mid-tower cases a while back, but that was under the assumption I'd need space for all my HDDs, rather than shunting them to a NAS. I've not looked into smaller cases yet.

#7 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

your cpu can handle 95c core temp just fine

if its only hitting 60c now that means you can handle ambient temps ~35c higher than your currently in before cpu temps become a problem

it often hits 45c here few years back it hit 48c

the things that strugle with the heat for us are telstra wirless modems and such which are only rated to 35c ambient

you could undervolt your cpu to lower its temps some more if your not overclocking

maybe replace the fan on the cpu with two higher quality\rpm fans from noctua perhaps some of the case fans to if you want

Edited by Dasa, 19 September 2014 - 08:05 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users