• Please log in to reply
2268 replies to this topic

#2181 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Lost in Space has arrived... in fact up to the 10th episode.

And rumour has it, Doctor Smith is a woman.  Just what sort of character she'll be, NFI.  Hope at least they try and stick with the original character either as he was originally or as he evolved to (which was too quickly at that).

Yes we found this out tonight too. That LIS is up, not the bit about Dr.Smith. Both not in the mood for it tonight but no doubt by week-end's end we'll have watched at least the first ep.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#2182 Quazar

Quazar

Master

• Atomican
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

I watched Sammy J and his NBN rollout on iview.

https://iview.abc.ne...j/LE1706V010S00

I quite enjoy his political commentary, Now is not the right time and Bonk!, Bonk! Bonk! are in my opinion outstanding.

Not charging for awesomeness since 1973 :)

#2183 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

And rumour has it, Doctor Smith is a woman.

Not rumour Peter Capaldi regenerated in to Jodie Whittaker at the end of the Christmas Special. She is the new Doctor. And it's all over the BBC Dr Who page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b006q2x0

On some forums members where going in to total meltdown about it, ranting and whinging about how the Doctor can't be a female for whatever dumb reason their misogynistic little brains could come up with.

Of course these same people where all happy for The Master to be female, apparently that is allowed.

As for what I am watching?

Just tried the first two epps of Cunk on Britain.

Edited by aliali, 14 April 2018 - 08:56 AM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#2184 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,291 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:05 AM

Not rumour Peter Capaldi regenerated in to Jodie Whittaker at the end of the Christmas Special. She is the new Doctor. And it's all over the BBC Dr Who page.

Please tell me that was a joke, because that was funny - and is also be completely believable as just not paying attention to the franchise being talked about.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#2185 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Please tell me that was a joke, because that was funny - and is also be completely believable as just not paying attention to the franchise being talked about.

Haha :D Cunk on Britain must be mind-blowingly good !

Edited by eveln, 14 April 2018 - 09:16 AM.

atomic has π

#2186 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

Nah just me not paying attention.

Dr Smith + Female = read as Dr Who. :-( /me fail at the interwebs and reading comprehension.)

Haha :D Cunk on Britain must be mind-blowingly good !

:-)

Piss funny if you like that sort of thing (I do).

As far as Lost in Space goes, ye Dr Smith is female. Won't comment any more on her because of spoilers.

/not having a good day took me 3 goes to write the above. Blaaaaghhhhhhhhh.

#2187 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

As far as Lost in Space goes, ye Dr Smith is female. Won't comment any more on her because of spoilers.

Let's hope she is as irritatingly-slap-worthy and generally arse-kicking-worthy as the original dude. christ hardly a show went by when the urge to punch his face through the screen was so strong it nearly turned me off the show. I hated Dr Smith with a passion ;)

atomic has π

#2188 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

I get a feeling the show won't be camp, or at least will be a small fraction of the original but that'd be a good thing.

Most of the cast weren't happy that Smith and Will became the breakout characters who the whole show revolved around, and that the series very quickly lost it's seriousness.

Edited by Rybags, 14 April 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#2189 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

I get a feeling the show won't be camp, or at least will be a small fraction of the original but that'd be a good thing.

Most of the cast weren't happy that Smith and Will became the breakout characters who the whole show revolved around, and that the series very quickly lost it's seriousness.

for a show that attracted a huge audience of kids, no surprise that a young boy was the central character in the original

when you are selling to a market, consider the target, not the cast's egos

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#2190 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

It's an Irwin Allen creation so there was some intention of a widespread audience and for it to appeal to a more mature audience.

But we're talking the same era when Star Trek: Tos was around, and it suffered much the same fate.

Then again, any sci-fi series that lasts beyond 2 or 3 years is a rarity.

#2191 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

It's an Irwin Allen creation so there was some intention of a widespread audience and for it to appeal to a more mature audience.

But we're talking the same era when Star Trek: Tos was around, and it suffered much the same fate.

Then again, any sci-fi series that lasts beyond 2 or 3 years is a rarity.

all hail lexx

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#2192 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,462 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

all hail lexx

And the cut shower scene.

#2193 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Let's hope she is as irritatingly-slap-worthy and generally arse-kicking-worthy as the original dude. christ hardly a show went by when the urge to punch his face through the screen was so strong it nearly turned me off the show. I hated Dr Smith with a passion ;)

LOL yeah. probably my earliest experiences of hatred!  seriously.  i was too young to follow the show but goddamnit that insufferable tit left an indelible mark. i was both deeply perplexed and revolted by the spectacle of an old person chucking infantile tantrums.
all of his ominous doomsaying over fucking nothing genuinely scared me.  why would an adult human being act this way? 

now that i look back on it, was he played for laughs?  was the character meant to be unlikeable in every way?

no pung intended

#2194 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

LOL yeah. probably my earliest experiences of hatred!  seriously.  i was too young to follow the show but goddamnit that insufferable tit left an indelible mark. i was both deeply perplexed and revolted by the spectacle of an old person chucking infantile tantrums.
all of his ominous doomsaying over fucking nothing genuinely scared me.  why would an adult human being act this way? 

now that i look back on it, was he played for laughs?  was the character meant to be unlikeable in every way?

well looking back on the character of Dr. Smith, he's just a self-serving cunt waay way out of his depth, clawing at anything that remotely resembles a life-saver-cash cow for himself. ;) no wonder I grew into the cynical being I am today.

Started to view the new edition, then stopped. Bit hard to say why without giving too much info of the intro. Interested to hear if some of you lasted the first episode through to the end.

Edited by eveln, 14 April 2018 - 08:09 PM.

atomic has π

#2195 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

He was OK.   Irwin Allen seemed to follow a fairly standard formula with his shows and movies.

Look at Land of The Giants.  The fat prick (Fitzhugh) was a similar self-centred coward type though lacking in humour value compared to Smith.

I've not seen it in a long time, but fairly sure Towering Inferno had a similar structure with the characters.

Jonathon Harris was a legend IMO.  Enormous talent, and one of the first ever TV breakout characters.

#2196 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

all hail lexx

And the cut shower scene.

not that i know (sbs mightn't have shown it, but the dvd's are all intact)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#2197 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

He was OK.   Irwin Allen seemed to follow a fairly standard formula with his shows and movies.

Look at Land of The Giants.  The fat prick (Fitzhugh) was a similar self-centred coward type though lacking in humour value compared to Smith.

I've not seen it in a long time, but fairly sure Towering Inferno had a similar structure with the characters.

Jonathon Harris was a legend IMO.  Enormous talent, and one of the first ever TV breakout characters.

Agreed. Harris did a brilliantly believable job :)

atomic has π

#2198 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

I never watched the original Lost In Space, just that awful 90s movie. This new series starts off pretty bad, but it does get better as it goes along. Parker Posey's Dr Smith is great - she's wonderfully slimy and creepy and possibly the only cast member that can actually act. The rest are pretty dull, even the Amazing Robot. The screenplay is genuinely terrible and takes itself so seriously. Dialing up the camp and the comedy would help this show immensely (Penny has a few funny lines, but that's about it).

#2199 JediKnight

JediKnight

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

That so-called "explosive" episode of My Kitchen Rules where the two nasty women were booted off. 
What a fizzer. I've seen better catfights in an alley.
And yeah, they'll be brought back no noubt.

The show is a joke ... Which we've known all along.

just that awful 90s movie. 

It was fine up until the launch, then it just died .. That stupid "pet" Blaarp was the worst CGI I've seen in a major motion picture. And the throwaway line about the loss of the Pod and Chariot "being scrap metal" was deplorable. But that's how they explain away budget cuts.

It's time for spice, and the lucky spice is ... paprika!!! ... "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! You've made me the happiest spice in the world!"

#2200 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

The only good thing about the movie was the cameos from the orignal stars - but I do think Matt LeBlanc and one or two of the other actors did a good job.

Though Jonathan Harris wanted nothing to do with it as he insisted he was the only one who could do Doctor Smith (which was entirely true).

Saw it probably not long after it came to VHS but have had no particular urge to watch it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users