• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1801 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,718 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

There's a few all right ones in this channel...

#1802 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

RIG: Phenom II X2 550 @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#1803 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,718 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:26 PM

Pretty funny.  Big Clive takes a horrendous assortment of fruity drinks around to brother Ralfy's place.

#1804 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:02 AM

[hype loop]

Firstly, I feel people need to know that this was NOT Musk's idea - he just popularised it.  Evacuated transports (including up to orbital speed!) have been discussed as "interesting ideas" since at least the '60s, but the technology was not even close to being there.

Secondly, the way this thing is currently designed, the entire tube has to be evacuated/repressurised every time the capsule or its passengers enter/exit; and since even the test track is the second largest vacuum chamber in the world, it takes about 30 minutes to do either - which means even test track shots take an hour or more.  Or would, if they maaged to get the thing to go 10 times faster than it currently does.  And the test track is only 500ft long - the total planned length is from 'Frisco to LA?  Sure thing.

Thirdly, since the tube has no mechanism for isolating sections of the tube, if any portion fails or is damaged, a full atmosphere of pressure will hit the capsule(s) and blow them up the tube like giant air-rifle slugs until they hit ... I dunno, the terminus, or something.

--

Now, any and all of these things can be overcome.  Eventually.  But the way it's being done at the moment will not work, and CAN not work.  And Musk knows it, which is why he ain't touching it.

Edited by Cybes, 18 July 2017 - 01:03 AM.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#1805 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

[hype loop]

Firstly, I feel people need to know that this was NOT Musk's idea - he just popularised it.  Evacuated transports (including up to orbital speed!) have been discussed as "interesting ideas" since at least the '60s, but the technology was not even close to being there.

Secondly, the way this thing is currently designed, the entire tube has to be evacuated/repressurised every time the capsule or its passengers enter/exit; and since even the test track is the second largest vacuum chamber in the world, it takes about 30 minutes to do either - which means even test track shots take an hour or more.  Or would, if they maaged to get the thing to go 10 times faster than it currently does.  And the test track is only 500ft long - the total planned length is from 'Frisco to LA?  Sure thing.

Thirdly, since the tube has no mechanism for isolating sections of the tube, if any portion fails or is damaged, a full atmosphere of pressure will hit the capsule(s) and blow them up the tube like giant air-rifle slugs until they hit ... I dunno, the terminus, or something.

--

Now, any and all of these things can be overcome.  Eventually.  But the way it's being done at the moment will not work, and CAN not work.  And Musk knows it, which is why he ain't touching it.

At least it's getting worked on.

Pretty funny.  Big Clive takes a horrendous assortment of fruity drinks around to brother Ralfy's place.

I'll have to watch this one. Love Ralfy.

RIG: Phenom II X2 550 @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#1806 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:47 AM

Pfft!  That's like saying you have a space program because your kid has a cardboard box.

#1807 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

Pfft!  That's like saying you have a space program because your kid has a cardboard box.

Hahaha... no it's like saying... we can think about it... or we can build, invest and test. The only way to make progress on it and work out the kinks is to just do it.

#1808 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hahaha... no it's like saying... we can think about it... or we can build, invest and test. The only way to make progress on it and work out the kinks is to just do it.

Yes, I agree - and that is my point: they're not doing that.  There is no acknowledgement of those problems (or several others) in the current program, let alone any attempt to address them.  The current program is exactly like the kid with his box - the box is not and cannot be a spaceship, and the very foundations of the "Hyperloop" is not and cannot be a workable system.  For anything!  (Except maybe making a lot of money disappear)

#1809 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

Yes, I agree - and that is my point: they're not doing that.  There is no acknowledgement of those problems (or several others) in the current program, let alone any attempt to address them.  The current program is exactly like the kid with his box - the box is not and cannot be a spaceship, and the very foundations of the "Hyperloop" is not and cannot be a workable system.  For anything!  (Except maybe making a lot of money disappear)

That's very glass half full Cybes. Often obstacles can be overcome in the doing rather than the thinking. Money is worse spent on warfare. Let them learn something through their practical tests.

#1810 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:18 PM

That's very glass half full Cybes. Often obstacles can be overcome in the doing rather than the thinking. Money is worse spent on warfare. Let them learn something through their practical tests.

I assume you meant "half empty" (pessimistic), or that's a very odd form of criticism. ;)

I don't have any issue at all with learning things from experience.  Hell, a lot of the foundations of modern Science was accidental finds whilst looking for something else.  But this is engineering, not basic science - you don't need to cut your own foot off to know that's a bad idea, and you don't need to try to build 600+km of vacuum tube to know that that's going to be a major fucking disaster when it breaks if you haven't built in any form of pressure isolation.  Nor do you need more than 4-function arithmetic to figure out that you actually CAN'T travel from SF to LA faster than road traffic if you have to spend a HALF A YEAR depressurising it!  Not even if Elon Musk invents FTL.

#1811 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Just saw the first episode of Top of the Lake on iView.

I'm in.

https://www.rottento...f_the_lake/s01/
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#1812 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

I assume you meant "half empty" (pessimistic), or that's a very odd form of criticism. ;)

I don't have any issue at all with learning things from experience.  Hell, a lot of the foundations of modern Science was accidental finds whilst looking for something else.  But this is engineering, not basic science - you don't need to cut your own foot off to know that's a bad idea, and you don't need to try to build 600+km of vacuum tube to know that that's going to be a major fucking disaster when it breaks if you haven't built in any form of pressure isolation.  Nor do you need more than 4-function arithmetic to figure out that you actually CAN'T travel from SF to LA faster than road traffic if you have to spend a HALF A YEAR depressurising it!  Not even if Elon Musk invents FTL.

I think the idea behind it is not to create a modern Hindenburg, but to get the process rolling (pardon the pun) and drive the process forward instead of working it out for years beforehand with lots of feasibility studies and what have you.

Damn it Cybes... I have no time for your stupid perspicacity and logic... just dream damn it. XD

#1813 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Damn it Cybes... I have no time for your stupid perspicacity and logic... just dream damn it. XD

Hey, I'm all for dreams.  I want everyone to have enough to eat, clothes to wear, somewhere to live, and ready access to the entertainment and education they desire; to see human personality backups; artificial (mechanical or biological) eyes that have perfect focus and IR to UV sensitivity; memory 'expansion slots' that let us remember things perfectly for as long as we choose, or learn new stuff just plugging it in... Earlids - like eyelids for ears, so you can choose to stop hearing that fucking dog at 3am!  I want to travel from on end of a galaxy-encompassing civilisation to the other.  I want to encounter peaceful aliens and trade goods and knowledge with them.

But I know that even for those things which are actually physically possible, wishing for it will not achieve anything.  Nor will spending more money on glitter for our cardboard box.

(And thanks for the compliment, btw. ;)

#1814 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

And now for something totally different: Hand-held laser cutting!

That clip is four years old!

#1815 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

/nerdgasm

NASA has uploaded hundreds of historic experimental flight videos to YouTube.  They have their own dedicated channel, which has been going for six years and I'd never even heard of: NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center

For example: X-40a First Test Flight

#1816 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,718 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 AM

#1817 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,801 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:50 PM

^2013 !  WTF haven't I heard of this girl before?  She needs a publicist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users