• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atosniper

atosniper

Master

• Atomican
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

So I'm looking for an external harddrive to use as a backup for my data. I have an aging one that is about 6-7 years old and figured I'd better get a new one. Looking at about 1TB. Any suggestions for good ones?

TIA

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,295 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

I found it marginally cheaper to buy a 2.5" USB3 case for a laptop drive I also brought. The real bonus for me was knowing that if anything happened to the drive casing, I could just pull it out and mount it internally - something I was burned with on a Toshiba external 2.5" drive, where the USB interface stopped transferring data and it was soldered onto the drive so I couldn't recover the data.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

I agree with Nich.

The bonus of a 2.5" drives that you can store it in a safe or offsite at a relative's house if you are away on holiday or get two and alternate your backups occasionally - on on site one off site.

My external drive bay of choice was a Zalman which allows me to mount an ISO and boot from it as if it were a CD. I used a 750GB drive I had spare after a notebook upgraded to an SSD.

I don't use it for backups though as I am doing that to a NAS which in turn gets backed up to standard 4TB USB drives in a dual USB dock. Those get swapped out to somewhere off site.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

Who is it that has the removable SATA interface?

One of the external 2.5" USB drives has a 'snap on' SATA connector you can use on ANY drive. Priceless.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 wombat3333

wombat3333

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

does anyone have any experience with toshiba external hdds? I'm getting out of storage space, need to make an upgrade. I saw their 1TB Tanvio model over at shopping express, they're going for $47. would this be a good choice,are they reliable? http://www.shoppinge...ristmas-gifts/4

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,295 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:17 AM

My wife bought one a year or two back, and it didn't last long. This isn't a criticism of their reliability, BTW. Rather, we found out that they use a custom connection between the drive and the USB port, meaning that the dead USB port wasn't a trivial fix of pulling the drive out and sliding it into another external case I had lying around.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users