424 replies to this topic

#21 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

OK thanks. :)

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#22 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

I put it on the spare lappy as an install over Windows 8.1, so far I'm not hating it and do not need to use 'start 8' to make the thing workable like I did with Windows 8.  It is a bit trickier to get to the local account rather than the online MS one but not too hard to figure it out (you need to go to users and logout).  The start menu is customisable so I was able to add links to control panal and personal folders as we're used to.  Was able to remove tiles from the right hand side of the start menu but haven't figured how to replace them yet.  )edit: there's a pin to start menu option in the right-click menu of the program you want to put there.)Right-clicking didn't do it.

So early days but off to a good start.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#23 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

And yet this one is in the right section! Will move and merge in a bit.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#24 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

If they keep on improving it over the next 12 months, I will be updating as soon as it comes out!  Hopefully there's a nice and easy upgrade path and don't have to reinstall etc. 

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#25 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'm looking at building a new box around the time it comes out, so, there's that... but I'm mostly hoping to get another supercheap upgrade again like my last one ($25? $15? something ridiculous)
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#26 Charcoal

Charcoal

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Anyone tried it with SSD's and new technology items for compatibility.

I wonder if the Atomic Labs will get to test it out.

As can be guessed, it works fine on a SSD.

I have it on my (old-ish) tablet PC. A core 2 duo era Celeron, 2G of ram and a 128G SSD; it works well, with what I've tested so far (not much).

I<3G
Kikz: Good for you, your sig says something. whoop-de-do dude.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
AzpUvwG.png@Charcoal|

#27 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

I have it on my (old-ish) tablet PC. A core 2 duo era Celeron, 2G of ram and a 128G SSD; it works well, with what I've tested so far (not much).

Good news.

What about backup software in the package is their any yet? Like backing up Profiles and email ,cookies and such.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#28 Charcoal

Charcoal

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,088 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Good news.

What about backup software in the package is their any yet? Like backing up Profiles and email ,cookies and such.

Signing into a Microsoft account keeps some profile stuff, but from what I can gather it's mainly decorative (start bar position, colour themes & desktop backgrounds).

I<3G
Kikz: Good for you, your sig says something. whoop-de-do dude.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
AzpUvwG.png@Charcoal|

#29 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'm looking at building a new box around the time it comes out, so, there's that... but I'm mostly hoping to get another supercheap upgrade again like my last one ($25? $15? something ridiculous)

'Rumour' has it that it might be a free upgrade at least for windows 8 people, maybe for Windows 7 and XP as well but MS hasn't said yet.  Think I only paid $30 for W8 anyway, bought two keys and having it on the desktop for a week took it off and didn't use them again. :)

Now hopefully they can put aero glass back and I'll be happy again.

#30 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

'Rumour' has it that it might be a free upgrade at least for windows 8 people, maybe for Windows 7 and XP as well but MS hasn't said yet.  Think I only paid $30 for W8 anyway, bought two keys and having it on the desktop for a week took it off and didn't use them again. :)

Now hopefully they can put aero glass back and I'll be happy again.

That would be good!  Free would be great, but then they'd get no money.  $30 would be okay.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#31 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

http://thehackernews...-keylogger.html

PERMISSION TO KEYLOG
If you are unaware of Microsoft’s privacy policy, so now you should pay attention to what the policy says. Microsoft is watching your every move on the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview, Thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the technology giant is using keylogger to collect and use users’ data in a variety of astounding ways without the user being aware.
If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features,” the privacy policy states.
Essentially by accepting the Windows 10 privacy policy you are allowing Microsoft to screen your files and log your keystrokes. This means, if you open a file and type, Microsoft have access to what you type, and the file info within.

OTHER DATA COLLECTION
But Wait! Wait! Not just this, Microsoft says it may collect even more data. The company will be watching your apps for compatibility, and collect voice information when you use speech to text. This information will be used to improve speech processing, according to Microsoft.
"When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy states. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."
Though, technology companies continue to develop a fine line on the issue of privacy and data collection and based on the information which the Microsoft collects, it could have thousands of username and password combinations stored in a database somewhere. But we may well see a public feedback to this newest attempt to mine users data.

Although the feedback being collected in the Windows Technical Preview will only occur within the Technical Preview period, reported by WinBeta. Once Windows 10 launches to the public as RTM, the data Microsoft collects will be removed from the operating system.

#32 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

It reads to me essentially like metric collection, and what most people with smartphones take for granted - checking words used and frequency of use to generate autocomplete suggestions.

It's hard to test new features being rolled out in tech previews if you can't collect data on them to improve them.

#33 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

Does that mean Microsoft are going to get my YouPort and X-Art passwords?? :-P

#34 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

It reads to me essentially like metric collection, and what most people with smartphones take for granted - checking words used and frequency of use to generate autocomplete suggestions.

It's hard to test new features being rolled out in tech previews if you can't collect data on them to improve them.

Yeah sounds like, but still if it keylogs your passwords and stuff....just an FYI for people who might not know.

#35 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Frankly, if you use a Technology Preview operating system, you should treat it as though you're using a publicly-viewable computer at a trade show.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#36 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

Is anyone actually using it as their main OS?  I have it running as a VM but I haven't really used it at all.  Just a quick play around to see what it's like.

#37 Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

I gotta say that Windows 10, which I'm currently using as my main OS, is really responsive to touch on my old HP Pavillion Entertainment PC @ TX2000 

Much better than Windows 8 which I've ditched and didn't bother until Windows 8.1. 

#38 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

I just noticed that one of the guys at work has put Windows 10 on his laptop.  I guess that's the best way to test out the OS!

#39 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,848 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

just installed win10 as my ~2y old win7 install was getting kinda broken... its been stuck on clasic shel for ~6 months

first hurdle was ocz\nvelo dataplex software only suports win7 so im giving primocache a go

it looks good so hopefully it will perform as expected

ocz synapse cache ssd 128g(64g avalible) is setup as a read only l2 cache for a 3tb toshiba os\games drive

toshiba is replacing the 2tb seagate i have been putting up with headparking on which created some nasty stutters

transfering steam at the moment

Edited by Dasa, 21 December 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#40 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

I don't really want to install the OS on my main machines at the moment, because I know that in a year, I will have to reinstall them again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users