• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#421 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

I hate crappy small laptops with like 32GB of eMMC storage - try installing the 1607 windows update and not enough disk space!

Cortana at your service

#422 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

OK - steps to installing Windows 10 anniversary update on a really small drive with not enough disk space

1. Attach an external USB hard drive to the computer (apparently the upgrade does not support using USB drive or Micro SD) - preferably on USB 3.0 and using a fast drive

2. Start the download for the 1607 update - it will complain there's not enough space on the drive

3. Tell the update to use the USB hard drive (ensure you have free space on the drive)

4. Start the update - it copies files to the external USB hard drive

5. Update will reboot Windows 10 three times - and then it finishes

6. Run disk cleanup to remove old windows install and other system crap from the old install

Do remove unnecessary USB devices just in case they interfere with the reboots (wired USB mouse is fine)

Edited by Jeruselem, 24 November 2016 - 11:59 AM.

Cortana at your service

#423 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Well well windows 10 1703 clean install picks up the windows 8 digital license from the BIOS. Nice

Cortana at your service

#424 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,606 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

How far back does that arrangement go, does it also cover the Win 7 OEMs?  Do you have to use a specific installer or is just the equivalent level to what the licence is for?

I've got a Win7 licence on my i5 laptop - the Home Premium install on it was ridden with viruses and I'd not trust it.  I've extracted the product key so can reinstall at my leisure.

#425 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

How far back does that arrangement go, does it also cover the Win 7 OEMs?  Do you have to use a specific installer or is just the equivalent level to what the licence is for?

I've got a Win7 licence on my i5 laptop - the Home Premium install on it was ridden with viruses and I'd not trust it.  I've extracted the product key so can reinstall at my leisure.

Windows 8 had digital keys in the BIOS, if it's Windows 7 era - it doesn't. That's why there were windows stickers.

Edited by Jeruselem, 28 April 2017 - 03:44 PM.

Cortana at your service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users