Photo

Time for Socket 2011-3?

Best Answer nobody813, 09 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'd personally say it's not worth the jump. I don't think you'd get much out of grabbing a new CPU and motherboard, let alone having to buy DDR4 at its expensive prices, at least for games. Your Sandy Bridge Core i5 is still a force to be reckoned with, and should continue to do so for quite some time. Like the others have said investing in a better GPU would likely be the best bet, as you'll most definitely see performance gains in the games you play. And if you find your CPU still isn't up to the job, then perhaps upgrading it in the future would be a good idea. I myself would go for 1150 for the moment, as for most tasks the extra cores in the Haswell-E chips won't really help all that much for most games, so the extra cost will likely not be worth it

Also whether or not any 2011-3 i5's will be released, I doubt it. Intel has always only released "high end" i7's on its high end platform, and I don't see that changing. Would be cool if I were wrong though, as 6 physical cores would be handy to have over 1150's maximum of 4 physical and 8 logical in many workloads

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

My current system is a Core i5 2400 with a Radeon 6970.

I've had it for a good while, obviously, and it's just now starting to groan at "pretty" games like Wolfenstein New Order and X-Com Enemy Unknown when cranked up to their highest settings at 1440p with some AF and AA.

Is it really worth spending the hefty premium going to Socket 2011-3? An i7 5820K is nearly $460, and the motherboards certainly aren't cheap either. So with RAM, you've nearly spent a thousand dollars, and you don't even have a video card yet.

Thoughts, atomica? Are the Core i5 5xxx chips coming soon? Should I wait a bit?
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

I think its worth it...

1k is a pretty cheap upgrade for a new system.

I'll be doing it soonish.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

It's not just 1k though, it's that plus whatever a decent "nearly top" tier video card is.

So, like, an extra $400-$500?
四時半を待っています!

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well if the CPU motherboard and RAM arent your bottleneck in above said games, you're upgrading the wrong part.

They're still the same slot for cards; so GPU would be the smart upgrade; no?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

I don't know which part is holding the other back, but I usually just do the whole lot in one hit.
四時半を待っています!

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

Run some benchamrking tools and see if your GPU or CPU maxes out first. There are a lot of tools and ways to check.

But if you're set on the sledgehammer approach, then your choices really are black and white aren't they?

1. Accept you cant play these new games at max, and move on.

or

2. Accept that $1.5k is the cost to play these games at max (then move on :P)

advances in CPU technology arent likely to have a huge impact on games in the future.

I've always early adopted; my I7 920 is still going strong at 4.2ghz.

#7 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

I didn't say I'm not prepared to spend the money. I will if the performance gains are there.

Hence the actual questions I asked. ;)

Is it really worth spending the hefty premium going to Socket 2011-3?
Are the Core i5 5xxx chips coming soon?
Should I wait a bit?

Edited by SquallStrife, 08 October 2014 - 11:10 AM.

四時半を待っています!

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

Well, your questions are weighted; but for me

- Yes, for me its not a hefty premium to jump to a new technology; $1k for the key parts is pretty good IMO.

- Probably, depends what you call 'soon'. They will, however, not bottleneck your games that quickly.

- It depends on how your money flow is; If you have it, then waiting costs you time you could be gaming. If you dont, then, yeah, wait untill its not going to impact your lifestyle (and as a bonus it'll get slightly cheaper too).

Edited by Master_Scythe, 08 October 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

IMO get a new GPU. If things improve, bonus. if not, you have half the outlay for new internals, and can then get the new CPU/mobo/RAM/etc.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#10 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

aa\af are gpu only so if increasing these is whats dropping your performance you can guarantee its the gpu holding you back

high res is also very gpu dependent

get a gtx970 and see how it goes you should find most games run fine

there will be the odd game like arma\dayz that want more cpu power but they just need a dual core cpu faster than anything that exists...

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#11 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

Yea you still have a quad core... biggest impact would be the gpu upgrade.  GTX 970 is going pretty good for me so far and the price is good.  I bet you could get the gpu and be good for another year, but if you like me and want a new toy(s) $1400 total not too bad plus you can sell the old bits.

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ ? | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | EVGA RAM 3200 @ ?  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#12 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:33 PM   Best Answer

I'd personally say it's not worth the jump. I don't think you'd get much out of grabbing a new CPU and motherboard, let alone having to buy DDR4 at its expensive prices, at least for games. Your Sandy Bridge Core i5 is still a force to be reckoned with, and should continue to do so for quite some time. Like the others have said investing in a better GPU would likely be the best bet, as you'll most definitely see performance gains in the games you play. And if you find your CPU still isn't up to the job, then perhaps upgrading it in the future would be a good idea. I myself would go for 1150 for the moment, as for most tasks the extra cores in the Haswell-E chips won't really help all that much for most games, so the extra cost will likely not be worth it

Also whether or not any 2011-3 i5's will be released, I doubt it. Intel has always only released "high end" i7's on its high end platform, and I don't see that changing. Would be cool if I were wrong though, as 6 physical cores would be handy to have over 1150's maximum of 4 physical and 8 logical in many workloads

Edited by nobody813, 09 October 2014 - 09:38 PM.

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 4670K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#13 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

Exactly the kind of answer I was after.

Thanks for the info about the new socket too, I thought 1150 was the old "on the way out" socket, and 2011-3 would be the new norm when/if i5 5xxx chips appear.
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users