9 replies to this topic

#1 Ishta2000

Ishta2000

Charge

• Atomican
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hi All,

Recently my PC has started making some strange noises. Its hard to describe and it happens randomly. I have tried to record the sound but by the time I have pulled my smart phone out of my pocket and gone to the PC to record it it stops again.

The sound is king of like a vibrating/ticking noise and I suspect it is the HDD not the SSD because as far as I am aware SSD do not have moving parts right?

I will try to describe the sounds it starts of very faint and builds up in volume and then stops. Dit dit dit, dit dit dit, dit dit dit! It does this between 3-6 timers and then stops suddenly. Sorry cant do better then that.

I have check to see if cables are hitting fans which is not the case and the GPU is fine as well. My only thought is the HDD its a bit odd.

Is there a test a run to check if the HDD is working properly?

Cheers

i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz, Gigabyte MB Z77X-UDH5, Windows 7 64Bit, Gigabyte HD 7950 2GB GPU, 120 GB OCZ Vertex II SSD and 120 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Fractal Design Node 605 Case.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yep. that'll be your HDD failing; either that or its fragmented to hell and back.

That dit dit dit sound is the read head retrying the read. (or darting everywhere to read one really fragmented file)

If you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the BIOS, install SpeedFAN and switch out to the HDD tab, you can click to get a report generated fro your about your HDD health in plain english.

Paste results :) 

Edited by Master_Scythe, 16 October 2014 - 09:54 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Ishta2000

Ishta2000

Charge

• Atomican
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

Yep. that'll be your HDD failing; either that or its fragmented to hell and back.

That dit dit dit sound is the read head retrying the read. (or darting everywhere to read one really fragmented file)

If you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the BIOS, install SpeedFAN and switch out to the HDD tab, you can click to get a report generated fro your about your HDD health in plain english.

Paste results :) 

Awesome Stuff. Thanks MS really appreciate the reply.

Cheers

i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz, Gigabyte MB Z77X-UDH5, Windows 7 64Bit, Gigabyte HD 7950 2GB GPU, 120 GB OCZ Vertex II SSD and 120 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Fractal Design Node 605 Case.

#4 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

probably hdd failing but that description of sounds reminds me of old 3.5 floppy drive lol.  Does it happen when you are doing certain tasks?

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ 4ghz | PowerColor RX 56 (RX 64 Bios) @ 1600c/945mhz | EVGA RAM @ 2933mhz  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#5 Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:13 AM

My HDDs that have failed me, have always gone thunk, thunk, thunk.. and it was always a Seagate. Any shape and size.

Does this happen when it's on idle?

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

it happens when its a seagate :P

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

I had a 2tb Seagate that came with a Dell. I swapped it with a SSD and used the Seagate as a backup.

Let's just say that the Seagate is buried in concrete shoes and if I ever buy another Seagate anything, I'll give myself concrete shoes.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

I had a 2tb Seagate that came with a Dell. I swapped it with a SSD and used the Seagate as a backup.

Let's just say that the Seagate is buried in concrete shoes and if I ever buy another Seagate anything, I'll give myself concrete shoes.

there is one exception; their hybrid drives are pretty good. using 'scratch location' of the read head to know what to cache is pretty damn smart.

#9 Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm sure it was to bolster their reputation but I'm scarred for life by the brand.

Everytime I see the brand, I cringe and my life flashes back to a time when I was known as the HDD killer. I've had a lot of Seagates die on me, which was a 20GB.

In the world of yin yang, Seagate and I were never compatible as a couple. It was doomed from the start.

#10 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,421 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

Yes sounds like HDD, but

Hi All,

I have check to see if cables are hitting fans which is not the case and the GPU is fine as well. My only thought is the HDD its a bit odd.

Is there a test a run to check if the HDD is working properly?

Cheers

Did you also momentarily stop or slow the various fans, just in case it is one of them?

I just place a finger on the centre hub of each fan to slow it a bit and see if there is a change.

As for tests, as it is a Seagate you could try the Seatools programme

http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/ (for DOS)

http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/ (for use in Windows).

Make sure all your data on the HDD is backed up to external storage media first though.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users