• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

I just wanted to see whether any of your photographers use some sort of online storage to keep all your photos safe and backed up etc.  Something like DropBox, or OneDrive?

I've recently signed up for DropBox Pro (1TB of Storage) and have copied all my pics up there as well just in case something ever happened to my photos (even though they're backed up).  Being the one person who takes pics in my family, I've got the entire collection, so I'd never want to lose them! 

Edited by bowlen, 30 October 2014 - 09:02 AM.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#2 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

Ive been using Google's Picasa site since almost its inception.  I do take a lot of family photos although I surmise that I don't take as much as you do.  Lately, I also back it up on NAS as well as 2 other external drives and several Cosair 32GB USB flash drives for portability.  Apart from that, I don't know how much more I can back up.   I think these days, its all much of a muchness cloud storage and is rather ubiquitous.  I think you just have to have several different types of storage to truly backup your stuff but as you already know, nothing is ever 100%.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#3 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

I backup to NAS which in turn backs up to USB drives which are taken offsite. My ADSL speed for upload is just shit.

I do use dropbox though but not for photos and have used Crashplan before for more "server style" backups.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#4 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

I have all my pics up in DropBox, and it's great.  Everything from my phone and tablet is backed up there too.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#5 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

i've been super slack regarding backup...should really do it

atm photos are just on my hdd and on flickr, otherwise would probably just get some external hdd for backup

#6 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

Backed-up weekly on NAS as well as a separate directory on NAS and a separate Seagate portable hard drive as well  The NAS is a mirrored storage on 2 physical drives.  When home I back up all my photos off my portable onto my desktop which also has a mirror on this data drive.  Thought about using several cloud storage options but fast approaching 1Tb in photos (obviously mostly RAW) I think I've passed the point at which transferring to the cloud is a viable option.  Both NAS systems, one in Europe, are accessible to me via the cloud, though.  I need to do a serious sorting out of the files and delete those I don't need/want, but then I've kept all my historic slides and negatives and a heap of 6x4 prints as well.  Too much of a squirrel and with the price of hard drives who really cares, maybe I should!

Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#7 Gas Lee

Gas Lee

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

My backup policy has been fairly robust so far, not fast though, currently have 4 (reasonably) up to date backups of my photography on hard drives spread over two continents. 

Should be a pretty serious catastrophe that causes me to lose the whole lot, might even be worth taking photos of....

-What we know is almost nothing at all-

#8 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

Primary photo storage is on a RAID5 array of 4x2TB HDD, where photos take up about 1.5TB of that space at this time. At the same time, unless they are just me screwing around with the camera, the photos are also copied to a USB HDD attached to the same machine.

Important/favorite photos I would prefer to not lose are subject to duplication on a budget RAID1 NAS locked in a rack in another part of the house - This is probably 30% of shots.

Special events and special holiday photos after sorting, the good stuff is copied to a USB HDD and kept in my desk drawer at work.

In some cases I also burn archive grade 100Year DVDs - But that's generally the favorites of the critical stuff - ie, what I have already printed.

I'm not shooting enough to need to filter shots within events at the moment - If I decide it's important, the entire directory for that shoot undergoes the same management. But I am getting better at culling worthless shots on the initial import, no need to waste 80MB/shot when it's unusable.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users