• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hello, I wanted to get an iPad but I can't choose between a mini 3 which is more affordable for me, or an air 2 which is more expensive but I presume has better performance. I was thinking that I could get the mini 3 with 16GB of storage now, and then get an air 2 with 64GB of storage later, and use one for recreational use and one for school/work. Is this a good idea? or would I just get one?

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

Pick a screen size. Larger screen is better for productivity/media, smaller screen is better for reading.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

Pick a screen size. Larger screen is better for productivity/media, smaller screen is better for reading.

I don't know which screen size to choose, I want the larger screen, but it will take more work to get, and the smaller screen will be easier to fit into bags (Don't know what I am complaining about though, I have a bag that can fit two 16 Inch laptops :P) and what do you mean by reading, is that just ebooks? or browsing the internet?

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Both. I have an ipad3 and a Nexus 7. I barely ever use the ipad. I do all my reading on the 7" tablet because it's lighter, easier to hold (especially in one hand) and doesn't feel like it'll break my face if I drop it while reading horizontally (in bed, on the floor, etc)

I only use it to read books and online news.

If I want to actually do work, I use my laptop, because physical keyboard (and trackpoint) > tablet for getting shit done in a hurry.

It's outside of my budget, but the all-in-one compromise for me would probably be a surface pro 3, because I'm not tied to any particular mobile platform.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

So do you reckon I should get the mini 3 or air, I probably will be playing some games every now and again, because I have no portable device with games on it, I also find it harder to see smaller screens without glasses, because I have terrible focusing and double vision. I will see if I can use my dads mini 3 for a little bit to see how it holds up with my eyes, maybe browse the internet, watch some youtube. Then I will decide if I need the larger screen of the air 2.

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

My first suggestion then would be glasses. You mentioned you're getting a new phone? Games will work on that too.

If it were me, I'd get the mini because I read more than anything else when on my tablet - usually when on the train or a plane. It makes it easier to take around, being lighter weight. With the ipad I have to actually plan if I take it, because it won't just fit in my cargo pants.

#7 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

My first suggestion then would be glasses. You mentioned you're getting a new phone? Games will work on that too.

If it were me, I'd get the mini because I read more than anything else when on my tablet - usually when on the train or a plane. It makes it easier to take around, being lighter weight. With the ipad I have to actually plan if I take it, because it won't just fit in my cargo pants.

I don't like playing games on a phone, to hard to see, even with glasses, I only use a phone for calling or texting, or occasionally watching youtube (I used to have an Aldi smart phone, fluid displacement and dead pixels ended it) and how does the cellular work with the iPads?

#8 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

My ipad has a SIM slot, my n7 is wifi only. They're both used wifi only tho'.

3g/LTE will bump the price more than it's probably worth if you're carrying your phone around anyway.

#9 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

My ipad has a SIM slot, my n7 is wifi only. They're both used wifi only tho'.

3g/LTE will bump the price more than it's probably worth if you're carrying your phone around anyway.

Would having a hotspot from my phone cost more than getting cellular?

#10 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

It depends who your phone is with and what plans and etc.

I found it cheaper to just use a hotspot from my phone. Cheaper data/less wastage/cheaper device.

The ipad only had cellular because my wife didn't have a phone at the time to use as a hotspot.

#11 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

I test ran the iPad mini 3 and I can see things pretty clearly without glasses and with glasses crystal clear, I think we have a winner. Now the big decision is to get 16GB or 64GB for storage, leaning more towards the 16GB one, don't really need 64GB but you never know, what would be the benefit of 64GB vs 16GB? 

#12 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

The benefit is regret. I've never even filled half of the 64GB ipad.

#13 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ok. I will go with the 16GB then.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Just to play devils advocate;

why the ipad and not a competitors device?

I only ask because Ipads are usually only useful in a business environment, otherwise the end up being toys.

android tabs, and even surfaces are real 'geek tools'  no matter what,and are also useful in a business environment.

iPad has a ton of features; the app ecosystem is a little better, they're better developed, and the resolution is overkill, and they get a little more battery life (used to be tons before android was better dev'd).

Nothing wrong with an iPad, just rocking the boat to make you think a little :)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 November 2014 - 09:04 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#15 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

What do you mean "geek tools"?

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

iPad has a ton of features; the app ecosystem is a little better, they're better developed, and the resolution is overkill, and they get a little more battery life (used to be tons before android was better dev'd).

The resolution isn't overkill, it's used to make text smoother and clearer.

The UI elements are nearly the same physical size on iPad Air today, as they were on iPad 1.

Edited by SquallStrife, 09 November 2014 - 07:50 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#17 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

What would be the benefit of getting an android tablet or surface pro over an iPad?

#18 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

More control over the device/OS.

Why do you want an ipad?

#19 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Because it is reliable and I am not familiar with the android/windows OS, because I barely used android and I haven't used windows for at least a year.

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

More control over the device/OS.

That, in and of itself, means nothing to nearly all tablet owners.

So what do you gain control over, that you don't have control over with the vendor-delivered Android-based system? Minutiae like how the App icons scroll left/right up/down? Being able to change the font in the status bar? The casual user gives zero shits about this kind of stuff. More time is spent actually inside apps than navel-gazing at homescreen gadgets and status icons. They'll pick a wallpaper, move their frequent Apps to the home screen, and get on with accomplishing non-pure-IT tasks for muggles.

WRT the OP's question, the Mini 3 and the Air 2 are both good tablets, just decide how much you want to spend and go for it.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users