• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hello! I have been trying to dual boot ubuntu on my 2010 macbook for about a week now, but it is randomly freezing whenever I do something graphical. I installed it through a disk, and I partitioned my hard drive so there was enough space.  Please help me, I would like to run it, because I think the UI is much cleaner and simpler than that of OS X and I prefer Ubuntu over OS X.

System Specs:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 1067MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,911 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

>macbook.

I'd wager thermal throttling isn't working, but everything else is. I had the same thing happen on an older laptop; just basically caught fire (melted the bottom case).

So when you work it hard, its getting hot enough to lock up.

There are tons of apps in the ubuntu 'store' to monitor temperatures. grab one, and see wtf is going on.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

I can't, freezes before I can

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,911 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

Oh, its not even getting that far? Then it's not gonna be that.....

My first port of call would be eliminating the version as a problem.

You clearly like the UNITY front end since you mentioned it, but perhaps try an older release, or even the previous LTS release.

Where's NOSKAJ when you need him? He has a lot of talking with Dev's and might have heard something

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 noskcaj

noskcaj

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:55 AM

Which version of ubuntu are you using?

What architecture are you using? (amd64, i386, amd64+mac) Use normal amd64 if possible

Have a look at https://wiki.ubuntu....munityHelpPages to see if there's an official issue and fix.

Asking in http://ubuntuforums....splay.php?f=328 might get some people with more knowledge to have a look.

I'd suggest you try installing the most recent propriety nvidia driver and then something that lets you manually set fan speed.

I am an Ubuntu developer, send me a PM if you would like to join the ubuntu team or have a question

#6 slimdog360

slimdog360

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:45 AM

It'll be a versioning problem with your specific hardware. Many other people, myself included, have used ubuntu (and other distros) on their macbooks. I'm doing right now on my macbook air.

If a different release of Ubuntu doesn't work, try another distribution. I'm on Fedora at the moment and it works well with everything.

Also you could see if there's any firmware updates for your macbook.

I for one welcome our new chicken overlord.

#7 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

What do you mean by "another distribution"? and how do I check for firmware updates?

Which version of ubuntu are you using?

What architecture are you using? (amd64, i386, amd64+mac) Use normal amd64 if possible

I'd suggest you try installing the most recent propriety nvidia driver and then something that lets you manually set fan speed.

I am using 14.04, and using amd64. How do I install the latest nvidia driver?

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,911 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

The driver is installed through the drivers tool in Ubuntu, but it doesnt sound like its staying on long enough.

By another distribution, he means...... another distro..... Kubuntu, Xubuntu, EduBuntu, etc.

Or even a linux distro not based on the *buntu core, like Fedora.

If you're using Trusty Tahr 14.04, give Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn a try :)

http://releases.ubuntu.com/

It's going to be a minor conflict is all; it happens.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 10 November 2014 - 08:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users