• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

I was reading an Issue of PCTA and wish to ask why when reviewing Antivirus packages you seem to rely on Lab tests and not actual usage in the real world. False Postives are a pain in the 2015 versions of AV packages with most of them now giving them.

Why not test them in actual usage with games loaded on a PC? or even applications.

Looking at all the new 2015 Antivirus packages seem to be headed towards mobile usage and not the humble PC.

Why not test for False positives against games?

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Which games - all of them?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,590 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

Can't say I've had a game file come up positive - but crackers, patchers and the files they alter often come up positive.

The 2 annoyances about AV these days - the "free" ones aren't, they're time limited trials.  And they don't give anything resembling even fair malware coverage, want that taken care of means you need a malware scanner as well.

#4 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

I'm yet to get a false positive from using AVG or avast with games

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
PSN - PointZeroOne-AI
icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

uplay - PointZeroOne-AI

#5 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

try WoW ,and see what happens

Most of the common ones on the market ,including some MMO's

#6 PointZeroOne

PointZeroOne

Crash Test Dummy

• Atomican
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

try WoW ,and see what happens

Most of the common ones on the market ,including some MMO's

Yeah I had WoW installed....it didn't have any issues.

AzpUvwG.png - @PointZeroOne
PSN - PointZeroOne-AI
icon_steam.gif - PointZeroOne

uplay - PointZeroOne-AI

#7 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

Got the latest issue today of PCTA ,maybe you should put Virus Checkers in Crapware section.

Most Virus Checkers install garbage on your PC without you knowing ,who F***K wants a PC Tuneup that installs libs and drivers behind your back. Then you bootup and it takes over what seems like 4mins to boot ,then a message pops up and says " Do you feel the speed ,your comp started %45 faster"

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,590 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Bundled shovelware is common these days.  I just installed SUPER a little while ago and it tried to put 4 other bits of rubbish as well (Reg cleaner, various junk "performance enhancers") - but at least it gave the option to skip each one.

The latest clusterfuck with AV I encountered was just a week or 2 ago with Avast - without even asking you it deletes Extensions from Firefox.  Seems it's been identified as a problem and they've fixed it in a recent update.

Still, annoying as hell to just have to chase down and reinstall them.

As for bundled extra shit, that's annoying as hell too.  Makes the install file a whole bunch bigger, although these days another major PITA is that everything seems to be moving to online installers.  Stiff shit if you happen to be using a laptop or tablet in a non-service area.

#9 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I was reading an Issue of PCTA and wish to ask why when reviewing Antivirus packages you seem to rely on Lab tests and not actual usage in the real world. False Postives are a pain in the 2015 versions of AV packages with most of them now giving them.

Why not test them in actual usage with games loaded on a PC? or even applications.

Looking at all the new 2015 Antivirus packages seem to be headed towards mobile usage and not the humble PC.

Why not test for False positives against games?

I've never had a game get flagged by an AV, ever. If you're cracking games then that's another story, because you're doing something out of the ordinary and it's your own fault.

Which antivirus do you use?

I've used Norton, Eset, Trend Micro and Kaspersky in the last 15 years and never had one of them flag a game as dangerous.

#10 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

Which antivirus do you use?

I use AVG only because i have used for over 10 years. Its the last 4-5 years AVG started throwing other packages in their bundle. Now they seem to be heading for the Smartphone tablet market. Maybe this is why so many Viruses and Malware still get past AVG.

Problem with Virus Suite's should be voluntary to use ,not compulsory. Just wondering who takes the blame for suite software if it leaves access to virus .malware or even spybots on too your PC system. Reading AVG T&S it seems to only cover their software ,not the suite software. AVG and its PC tuneup software and the annoying popups is a clear breach of privacy, even more so when the decline button is the same color as the popup so you cannot see it.

I complain very heavily about the way AVG deploys patches and even forces "computer restarts" ,which really is a damn pain. Sometimes in the afternoon and update happens then all of a sudden my AVG icon sits on the hotbar. Mousing over it tells me i need a "Computer Restart" to finish an upgrade. Normally i get so angry i have to walk away from my computer. Why cannot AVG put a message that a computer restart is required in the update. With a selection to proceed or too do later. AVG seem to think they own your computer ,just because you installed their software on it.

Even Avast has its problems with forcing users to use Chrome and then disabling any other browsers. So all AV packages seem to have their problems ,its like playing russian roulette.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

See you say that, but I'm STILL using the up to date AVAST and have none of those issues, on 3 machines.

1 Vista, 1 Windows 8, 1 WIndows 7.

All of them have a 30+ steam library.

Ive never had a false positive from avast.

But yes, I agree, Antiviruses are crapware these days.

a PRO licence of MBAM will do more for a modern machine than any classic 'antivirus' will ever do.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#12 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

All of them have a 30+ steam library.

Was reading today about the steam uninstaller it can delete everything on your Comp and even in the Linux version.

Lots of people say Avast is the best ,but then again with Google sponsoring it anything is possible. I have about 6-7 google scripts blocked on this website and more.

Edited by codecreeper, 17 January 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

The steam program itself is less the culprit, and more the PunkBuster service.

No big, the entire OS can delete things on my PC, who cares.

I have no script[s blocked here; shit still works fine.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users