6 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

So I'm up for a new modem I think.

My current is a billion 7800NL which is a broadcomm chipset (and I need it to stay this way due to line length).

I also use the Signal to Noise Ratio mods to achieve a decent sync, so my new one needs that too.

Problem is, that era's old broadcomm chips drop wireless annoyingly often; I'd prefer to run just one device, considering how cheap an all-in-one is; so anyone have suggestions?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've had 3 DLinks and not really impressed.  Running a simple movie playback over DLNA/WiFi was enough to strangle the thing to the point where the cabled connection to the computer was gasping for data.

Last one played up so I scored a cheap Belkin which with the required firmware update showed just how poor the DLink was, my best speeds went up but near 30% and doing stuff like torrents and streaming over Wifi has much less effect on the PC cabled connection.

That said, they're both cheapo brands.  Another complaint about both is that the web control interface (DLink esp) is annoyingly slow.  Just why it takes so long to serve up simple HTML pages that are resident on the device and going over a Gigabit cabled interface is a mystery.

Can't say I've had WiFi problems although typically everything using it is practically in the same or next room.

Suggestions - I guess check the online sites of the main parts outlets, then do research on the innards of the models that fall in your price range.

#3 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

Use the modem/NAT box you have and get a Ubiquiti AP.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

not a bad idea; but my modem is a circuit board hanging on a wall by a nail by now; its age is showing :P

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

Use the modem/NAT box you have and get a Ubiquiti AP.

Actually, and ironically, the D-link 2890al, just last year was being called "the best modem router available in Australia" by the whirlpool crew, and a bunch of magazine reviewers....

Suddenly on sale at MSY today for like $160.

Everyone is claiming 0.5mbps faster syncs than their old 7800n\nl; but they dont mention if they're using the SNR.htm mod page like I am.

#6 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

I've been happy with the NetGear wireless routers I've had, though not those including a modem since I have cable :)

Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

D-link 2890al apparently has a fully unrestricted busybox login.

This means I can still use my Broadcom SNR mods (just 75, which is -1.5db).

I'm just trying to figure out if this level of access is enough to set up SFTP, as this is kinda a big deal for me.

My last modem didn't do it either; but I thought I'd push my luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users