4 replies to this topic

#1 Ishta2000

Ishta2000

Charge

• Atomican
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi All,

I need at least 8 ports on a switch. Can anyone recommend a cheap but reliable 1000 gigabit switch for me?

Need it to run network cable from Switch to bedrooms and lounge. Mainly for PC in bedrooms and for the TV, DVD Player and Amplifier in the lounge room.

Cheers

i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz, Gigabyte MB Z77X-UDH5, Windows 7 64Bit, Gigabyte HD 7950 2GB GPU, 120 GB OCZ Vertex II SSD and 120 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Fractal Design Node 605 Case.

#2 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

I generally like the netgear GS108 series of switches. They are generally cheap and fairly reliable.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,215 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Ran a small 5 man business off a TPlink a couple of years ago.

All doing 3D modelling with the server as a scratch disk; so it was HAMMERED all the time... never once let them down.

In fact, no TPlink has let me down. Once used one of their modems for 24 hours while a corporate grade CISCO one was being replaced; handled the 100 employee load fine....

They're fast becoming my favourite, actually.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Ishta2000

Ishta2000

Charge

• Atomican
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks Tick and MS. Will have ready up on the two brands and switches.

Just looking for an easy plug and play setup.

Cheers

i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz, Gigabyte MB Z77X-UDH5, Windows 7 64Bit, Gigabyte HD 7950 2GB GPU, 120 GB OCZ Vertex II SSD and 120 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Fractal Design Node 605 Case.

#5 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,421 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Tick and MS. Will have ready up on the two brands and switches.

Just looking for an easy plug and play setup.

Cheers

All unmanaged switches are plug and play.

As for choice, I get whatever is available as switches are pretty basic devices. The only preference I have is for switches with a metal body as they are more robust than plastic bodies, and although I have no direct data to back it up I feel that the components should run cooler in a metal body due to the metal being able to transfer heat away.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users