Photo

New CPU cooler or stick with the Intel Stock Cooler and get Arctic Silver?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Powermaniac

Powermaniac

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Howdy,

So I was wondering, recently I've been having all these issues with my desktop, last night I put it back in the case and wired it all up again without the Thermaltake FRIO I did have on it and all is running fine again. I can't be certain it was the Thermaltake FRIO but I have this feeling the weight and size of it was bending/warping the motherboard and thus causing issues.

So now I'm looking for a light and low profile CPU cooler to replace the Intel stock cooler I currently have on it. Unless someone thinks the Intel stock cooler is fine and I should just get some Arctic Silver or something and put that on the Thermaltake FRIO instead. Reason I want to replace the Intel stock cooler is I'm idling at basically 60 degrees celsius and quickly pass 70 whenever doing anything demanding. Whereas with the Thermaltake FRIO I'm sure I was idling around 40 and never passing 60. Plus the Intel stock cooler isn't the quietest... I don't really want to go watercooling even though it seems to be the new preferred thing, as I find the idea slightly risky unless it was done by someone else and all on there hands if something goes wrong.

I was looking at the Noctua NH-L12 as that is rather low profile and even with both fans is only 600 grams or so according to this review: http://www.frostytec...?articleID=2662 although I'm not a big fan of the cooler, but I barely look in my desktop anyway so it won't bother me too much. I was also looking at the Xigmatek Dark Knight but can't seem to source one in South Australia let alone Australia so... As it is only 400 grams and supposedly does a great job, I think it might be a bit tall though. http://www.frostytec...?articleID=2693

So yeah any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by Powermaniac, 31 December 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#2 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

You removed the Frio and installed the stock cooler, and all was fine; did you try re-installing the Frio? Perhaps you hadn't used enough thermal paste the first time, or it dried out.

It's not an abnormally heavy cooler all things considered. I'd be more likely to point at a bumped RAM stick or power connector than the weight flexing your motherboard.

Arctic Silver is fine but outdated, look to a silicon-based one like Noctua NT-H1 or similar.

"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#3 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

I love Gelid GC-Extreme, non conductive and ranks up there with the top greases...  It's bit thicker which I like since I can spread it out where I want. 

http://www.staticice...q=Nh-l12&spos=1

^ Yea it's ugly lol but would be half the weight of yours if i'm looking at the right one, good cooling, should be quieter, and if case is closed like you said...

HAF 912 | ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty-M | Delidded Direct Die 3770k@4.7ghz/1.3v | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB 2400 10-12-12-28 T1 | EK Watercooled CPU | 512GB Vertex 4 & PCI 550GB XtremSF SSDs | 3 x HDD's | EVGA G2 1300W (24/7 OC)

#4 Powermaniac

Powermaniac

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

TheFrunj: With regards to the thermal paste drying out, that I don't think was the case when I took it off it was all still wet looking and still quite a bit of it covering the whole cpu and cpu cooler. Interesting you say it isn't abnormally heavy, possible I bumped a power connector or RAM stick. Although I did swap out RAM sticks and that didn't actually fix the issue, and I'm pretty sure I disconnected power connectors at least once before now and that didn't seem to fix the issues either.

gamble: Now I've had two recommendations for Gelid GC-Extreme but can't find any locally so will probably stick with TheFrunj's recommendation of Noctua NH-H1. With regards to the Noctua NH-L12 I'm not sure what to do, as I could get that and then I don't need to buy Noctua NH-H1 as well, but if my Thermaltake FRIO is fine weight wise as TheFrunj said well there isn't really any point, might be quieter though, not that the FRIO is loud with the fan settings I had it on.

I will probably go with the Noctua NH-H1 because I can get it locally but yeah with regards to the cpu cooler I don't really know what to do, as I don't want to been spending money when I don't really need to.

EDIT: Turns out that the Noctua NH-L12 won't fit with my Corsair Vengeance RAM so...That option is now out, the Thermaltake FRIO only allows me to have RAM in slots 2 and 4 as it is so...

Edited by Powermaniac, 01 January 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#5 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Might have been just a short to the case and reinstalling fixed it, probably wont know until more time passes but the cooler have should be fine.

HAF 912 | ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty-M | Delidded Direct Die 3770k@4.7ghz/1.3v | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB 2400 10-12-12-28 T1 | EK Watercooled CPU | 512GB Vertex 4 & PCI 550GB XtremSF SSDs | 3 x HDD's | EVGA G2 1300W (24/7 OC)

#6 Powermaniac

Powermaniac

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

Thermaltake FRIO back on with Noctua NT-H1, didn't realise the NT-H1 was going to be so big, will get multiple uses out of it not just the two I was expecting. The temps are much better now, 38 degree celsius max when idle (although when I say idle I mean with Steam, Bitdefender and Nvidia Geforce running in the background and maybe Chrome open although not really doing anything). And about 47 degrees maximum when under load, which is even better than before about 15 degrees better than when I had the Thermaltake FRIO with the paste that came with it, used to hit 60 degrees under load then. Although I'm only getting that under load temp from running the first scene in 3DMark's Fire Strike demo. So will do something more stressful eventually, probably sometime today and check the temperature again.

Oh and everything is connected up now except for the left side panel with the fan on it and so far no red cpu led indicating things are screwed. Perhaps I screwed the motherboard on too tightly before? I have no idea now what was causing it.

#7 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Great news :)

Probably just tightened it unevenly the first time, or something was slightly out of place. Good to hear it's fixed now, those temperatures are in line with what I'd expect.

Run Prime95 + OCCT on unlimited/large set if you want to confirm CPU stability.

"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users