7 replies to this topic

#1 atosniper

atosniper

Master

• Atomican
  • 663 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Is the following okay for me to do?

I own a book with some code in it. I wish to discuss the code and ideas behind it with a colleague, mainly for educational purposes. My colleague does not own the book. May I copy the code in my book and send it to him via email?

The copyright in the book states: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise without the prior written permission of the copyright holder, except brief quotations used in a review.

TIA

#2 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

I highly doubt the author is going to give a crap about someone discussing their code.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#3 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,713 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

... except brief quotations used in a review.

Your usage would fall within this definition, imo - and that's assuming that by some complete miracle the publisher and/or author ever found out about it.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

I know we don't have fair use, but surely this would fall within the bounds of what we do have in that area?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Any code in a programming book is essentially free code. It's published and you can use it. You could even use it to create your own software which you might sell.

The only reason that message is there is to stop people grabbing a chapter or two and adding it to their own publication. Like a blog or their own book where they get credit without permission from the original author.

Additionally, if I'm not mistaken you can use up to 10% of a publication as long as you give credit and do not use it for personal gain.

#6 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

Any code in a programming book is essentially free code. It's published and you can use it. You could even use it to create your own software which you might sell.

The code is subject to whatever license the author has chosen, if any.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#7 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

The code is subject to whatever license the author has chosen, if any.

Yes, but in most cases it will be GPL or no license.

#8 atosniper

atosniper

Master

• Atomican
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

Ok, thanks. I have a new question, kind of similar, in a new thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users