• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 atosniper

atosniper

Master

• Atomican
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for replies about code in books and copyright.

Now I have a new question.

Let's say I was interested in purchasing a piece of code from someone. There is a Non disclosure agreement attached to it. I presume it is to stop sharing of the code. However, I dont have the exact wording of the NDA. Now, let's say that I dont fully trust the competency of the coder I'm buying the code from and want a third party to check the code. Could I do this? Or would I be in trouble for breaking the NDA?

TIA

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

You'd likely be in trouble.  But NDAs are usually between companies and as such a company would simply get a qualified employee to check the code.

In the case of an individual though, you could always ask for a clause allowing you to have a consultant check the code.

NDA is more geared towards stopping others knowing about the workings new products coming to market.  Once a product or program is established then it loses relevance.

Example of NDA might be companies like MS or Sony giving advance specs, programming info and development packs to software houses before release of a new console.  Much of that becomes public knowledge once the console is released but some of it still remains eligible for NDA, e.g. development info/packs will often be sold at a premium price while the system has market relevance.

#3 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Get your coder to sign an NDA with you and your set.  As an employee, I've always had a NDA with my employer to disclose trade secrets or data that I see in my daily business etc.  My employer sometimes had NDA's with other parties.  Usually when that happened an email went out reminding everyone of the need for secrecy on a particular project and of the NDA in their employment contract 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users