• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

What about sites that farm email addresses and such?

I get about 3-4 emails a week from people claiming i bought stuff from their websites ,this morning i got one from ovi.com .Looking up this address its the Nokia Store. So it seems Cybercrimes go a lot deeper than just personal details but also emails now.

What pissed me off being deaf and unable to use a smartphone why did i get this email. I know if i contact Nokia my email would go in their in their database. So could this be a catch to see which emails are responsive ,as i never been to HK to buy a phone. Not even been out of Australia.

So what i am asking is what is the best way to deal with unwanted emails from someone farming email addresses?

Do we ignore them or respond to them ,opening ourselves up to phishing.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

do you think its from OVI purely because of the address?

Any decent email client lets you type your own FROM address. Check the MIME header, see what server it came from.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,309 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

A lot of that shit isn't even farmed.  Just run a bot that generates lists of email addresses based on hypothetical people's names, you'd probably get a 90% success rate.

Responding just reinforces the fact that it's an active email address and encourages more.  I remember sending a "Get fucked" response to one a long time ago and suddenly the spam count went right up.

#4 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

do you think its from OVI purely because of the address?

Any decent email client lets you type your own FROM address. Check the MIME header, see what server it came from.

Well it had a link in the mail so i deleted it straightaway. Using Thunderbird so it seems this emailer was avoiding blocking techniques too ,anything over 2 lines is blocked unless i know the sender. Meaning i have to give to permission to read the rest of the email. Anything with a link in it gets deleted straight away too unless i know the sender.

Thinking it was maybe a crypto i deleted the email from the trashcan too and checking all other inbox's.

Problem is farming email address's is just like stealing your identity too. It can be abused on so many websites even hacking into MMO games.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

Yep, I could send an email from 'webmaster@codecreeper.com' right now.

Doesnt even matter if the domain exists. Just fill in a custom FROM field.

You're right, its easy to trick people using that method.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 January 2015 - 02:16 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

So it seems Cybercrimes go a lot deeper than just personal details but also emails now.

LOL

Email addresses are pretty much the least personal detail you can have.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#7 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

So it seems Cybercrimes go a lot deeper than just personal details but also emails now.

LOL

Email addresses are pretty much the least personal detail you can have.

Ahh ok ,sorry for the delay.

I was checking through my emails getting heaps of those nasty phishing ones with bad links. And i came across one that i did not really pay much attention too.

It was from EA/Origin claiming i was selling and buying accounts ,with a link on it too reclaim my account otherwise it would be permanently banned. This i left alone since 2012 ,now last year i tried to setup an account with EA/Origin to try SWOTOR ,guess what it was not being accepted by Origin as the passwords did not match. So i contact EA/Origin to reclaim my password and i get a message that it is linked to a premium account. So i gave up figuring that someone must have some form of Authentication device to this account. 

So someone has not only stopped me playing EA/Origin games with online DRM now ,but has made me look like an account seller.

But being Deaf and unable to use a phone to contact  EA and Origin will not accept any emails from me unless i can prove who i am. As they keep pointing me to a secret question to answer that i supposedly setup.

SO is your email safe? NO.

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Star Wars account(s).

As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.

If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.

It will be ongoing for further investigation by LucasArts's employees.

If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with: :

https://account.swto...estination=home

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

* Secret Question and Answer
 Show * Please enter the correct information

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. 2011 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virus Database: 2109/4749 - Release Date: 01/17/12

copy of email

#8 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

er....

http://account.swtor...estination=home

why would they be using a login-asp domain in India?  Are you sure this is from Origin?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

er....

http://account.swtor...estination=home

why would they be using a login-asp domain in India?  Are you sure this is from Origin?

I don't know but i did not click the link as wary of phishing.

But as i said when i went to create a EA/Origin account i the password i entered did not match the Origin one. When i tried to reset the password i got a message about a premium account and secret answer to reset it. None of which i had entered.

#10 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

After posting that message and you saying its from India i decided to do some checking up on this from Origin side.

So i entered my email address in the password reset ,whoa i got my old files from back in the days of 486PC's. Origin keep old data alive ,so got my old password and changed it. So my Origin Account password is now mine ,made a very long password about 14 digits long and wrote it down.

Now for EA side and SWTOR ,not sure that i will bother as EA games are crap.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

14 digits is a long password? Seems i'm too young and net conscious   That's about my MINIMUM password length, lol.

Email is completely safe; its just people who click things without knowing the domain name\company that unwittingly, but willingly forfeit their personal information.

I've had a few companies in the past want personal details from me; I've always used a watermarked youtube video

"Hi my name is Scythe, here's my drivers licence, and a walk out the front to see my street address, etc etc"

I mark it as private, and yank the video down once my case is settled.

Sure they COULD screen cap it, but all in all, trying to do identity theft with watermarked video screen captures is much harder than a scanned document in perfect clarity.

I've always been one for thinking outside the box :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users