11 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Anyone used it?

I've just ordered some CoolLabratory Liquid Ultra; while not as cool looking to use as Liquid Pro, has anyone used a liquid metal thermal paste before?

Temperature drops as much as 4*C have been recorded over traditional paste types.

Looking cool! (no pun intended)

LiquidPro_2.jpg

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,263 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Nope.  Unless it's Mercury (extremely doubtful) then my guess is that it's probably fine granules like Arctic Silver.

No idea what the Silver % of AS is but I'd guess it isn't very high.  I suppose by introducing less expensive and less conductive other metals into the mix they might increase the overall conductivity and performance of the stuff without increasing the price too much.

Will be interesting to see how it goes... and of course longevity is a factor.  I don't really bother with the silver pastes anymore, found that you had to reapply after about a year or so.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Nope,

http://www.coollabor...ro_englisch.pdf

Its Gallium

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,263 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

Alloy of the metal components gallium, indium, rhodium, silver, zinc and stannous.

Gallium has a melting point about 29 C and can be alloyed with many metals, retaining a low melting point.

OK, makes sense.  The thermal conductivity is nothing special but obviously it's use in this case is to produce a liquid alloy.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

Yup. and a heatspreader is Zinc coated, and a cooler is usually copper cored. So all is good.

People usually use Liquid Pro to join the core to the heatspreader after delidding.

#6 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

Yup. and a heatspreader is Zinc coated, and a cooler is usually copper cored. So all is good.

People usually use Liquid Pro to join the core to the heatspreader after delidding.

I've heard good things about it but haven't tried myself, im still using AS5.

Might try this next time i have the waterblock off.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:23 AM

At the very least graduate from AS5, its 'shit' by todays standards.

I use it for customer builds, because its better than Intels pastes, and I'm not overclocking customers machines.

Try some GELID GC-Extreme for a traditional non conducting paste.

#8 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

At the very least graduate from AS5, its 'shit' by todays standards.

I use it for customer builds, because its better than Intels pastes, and I'm not overclocking customers machines.

Try some GELID GC-Extreme for a traditional non conducting paste.

Ehh last time i put the block back on it was more of a "use what ever is at hand" and given the situation i would have used toothpaste if that is all that existed.

And at this stage it won't be coming off again until the whole machine is scraped and replaced.

#9 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

I was sent a syringe of that stuff when I was still working on the mag, but never got around to reviewing it. TIM reviews were lots of testing time for few clicks and there was always something more interesting to write about.

Personally silicon-based TIM is what I prefer, Noctua NT-H1.

"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#10 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

Should be fun to play with, nearly got some Pro for my cpu since its delidded.  Ultra might be better for delid but just went with Gelid GC-Extreme since its non conductive and didnt want to take more chances than I already did by haha

From what I remember NT-H1 is usually right near GC-Extreme.... GC is quite thick, which I like but some might not like that.

Need to give us some before/after with that Ultra :)

HAF 912 | ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty-M | Delidded Direct Die 3770k@4.7ghz/1.3v | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB 2400 10-12-12-28 T1 | EK Watercooled CPU | 512GB Vertex 4 & PCI 550GB XtremSF SSDs | 3 x HDD's | EVGA G2 1300W (24/7 OC)

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

I was planning to!

Then this happened

http://forums.atomic...nd-me-a-laptop/

#12 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

put that goo on something for the fun of it :)

HAF 912 | ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty-M | Delidded Direct Die 3770k@4.7ghz/1.3v | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB 2400 10-12-12-28 T1 | EK Watercooled CPU | 512GB Vertex 4 & PCI 550GB XtremSF SSDs | 3 x HDD's | EVGA G2 1300W (24/7 OC)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users