• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

What is the socket on a laptop called these days?

For example, Haswell i7 4700HQ goes into WHICH socket?

Also, how do I find a list of what processors can fit into this socket?

I ask more out of curiosity, and partly out of an urge to experiment.

MOST 'ulv' processors are soldered, but I wonder if I can get a ULV in socket form, to replace an HQ on another laptop.

Why?

Well, ULV chips have a cheap enough bin price, and I'd love to see first hand the battery life between a ULV and an HQ under light and heavy load in identical laptops.

Will probably just end up being a topic for me to muse over, but I'm still curious.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Socket G3 maybe...

Wikipedia has lists of the common CPU types.  e.g. "List of Intel Core i7 microprocessors" - then from there, scroll through the list and note the various socket types.

I don't think they have list of all CPUs per socket type though.

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

It gets pretty complicated... there's crossover in that some of the Core stuff can be had as BGA packaging but I don't think there's much the other way 'round, ie no Atoms can be had other than BGA types.

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Well really I'm just trying to find out of ULV processors come in socket\chip form so I can order one from HongKong and do some benchmarks, battery life testing, and just play around with swapping out a 4700HQ with a 4500U or something like that.

But I'm finding the information very hard to source.

EDIT: turns out one of the laptops I was going to 'play with' has a soldered chip. Nuts. Still, very curious to learn the above.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 30 January 2015 - 09:59 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 sora3

sora3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

All mobiles tend to be BGA stuff anyway or FPGA if you're AMD. Anyway, you're probably have better luck looking up the chipset in question as they usually tell you the socket required.

BTW, the i7 4700HQ that you're looking for uses the FCBGA1364 socket.

Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1700/Asus X370 Prime/Corsair DDR4 3000 16GB/Gigabyte R9 290/Samsung 840 256GB SSD/Bitfenix Shinobi/Stock Wraith Cooler (!)/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users