#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

So,

My new laptop is awesome.

As I expected, 15.6" is a little annoyingly big, but I'll live with it for my vision. Its awesome.

It has an i7 4710HQ, 8Gb of transcend ram, and a Dedicated GTX860 with 4GB of GDDR5

Lets start:

For one, I cranked the thing to max, using FURMARK and PRIME95 simultaneously.

The fans are NOT as loud as people suggest (maybe I have a newer revision?)

It maxes out at 82~84*C; not bad for shared heatpipe cooling.

I then re-pasted the laptop using Gelid GC-Extreme.

The same test resulted in 78~81*C; how bloody awesome is that!!!!!!

So, with my fresh windows install I have now proceeded to install Intel XTU and started undervolting. Yeah!

And, so far, it looks like I've managed to hit the silicone lottery!

I'll update as I progress, but so far, my results are as thus:

- 80mv Core stable (5min)
- 90mv Core stable (5min)

- 91mv Core Stable (30min)+(5min)+(2min)+(10x 1min)

- 93mv Core CRASHES (5min)+(2min)+(1min-x4)+(30min crash) 
- 95mv Core CRASHES (5min pass)+(2min fail)
-100mv Core CRASHES

Yep, that's right, it looks like the i7 4710HQ, the slightly higher clocked, slightly more energy efficient version of the i7 4700HQ, is edging stable at a -92.7mv undervolt!
Temps maxing out at 69*C (but thats without GPU).

I did the multiple 1 minute tests, as the 'fail' normally happens during ramp up\down of speed, and the half hour test is half way through right now.

Next I try to undervolt the CPU LLC (L3 cache) to match the core (its normally happy to do so), then the onboard GPU.
It's going to be a FUN day!!!!!!!!!!!

Update:
93mv crashes during the half hour test. Last 2 Minutes. SO CLOSE!
Will try 91mv next.
Minus 91mv has passed 5 minute, half hour, and 10x 1minute. For now, STABLE.
Moving onto CACHE undervolting, then GRAPHICS.

Minus 90mv CACHE has passed 3x 5 minute 'Memory' tests, and 3x 5 minute CPU tests.
Considering thats almost 1:1 with CPU core voltage, moving onto on-chip GPU. (the NVIDIA wont be touched)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 February 2015 - 01:47 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

New laptop is awesome, no model name or link to it :P

Cool that the utility can modify voltage though, laptops used to be quite limited. I suppose your next goal is to see how far you can overclock it while undervolted.

Since you've redone the paste on the CPU, are there any other components that can be repasted that would help lower total heat?

"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

Its a Gigabyte P35g V2

http://www.gigabyte....e.aspx?pid=5033

The Intel XTU is very cool; since it's done by Intel themselves.

TECHNICALLY I'm not lowering the voltage, I'm lowering the dynamic voltage offset.

So at maximum C state, it'll still use the same, but as speed ramps up, the voltage ramps up less.

I wont be repasting anything else, the rest is thermal pads; but they have a lot of VR's and everything looked pretty well done.

iqa79c.jpg

GPU undervolt to -60mv caused a reboot within the first 2 minutes.

GPU undervolt to -50mv was stable over 15 minutes.

Now testing -55mv, and will leave it there if it's happy.

Wow, if you look up haswell undervolting, you'll see how incredibly lucky I am to be stable at -91, -90, -55.

True, these are intels own synthetic benchmarks, so some actual gaming and PRIME is yet to come, but you know, its very exciting overall :)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Well, thats 15 minutes of PRIME 'blend' test, while simultaneously running IntelXTU's Graphics Stress Test.

So that's really as much load as I can possibly put onto this CPU....... Seems stable to me.

Its now up to time and DOTA2 to prove me right or wrong.

So, in final, I've ended up with:

CPU CORE  = -91.7968750mv

CPU CACHE = -90.8203125mv

CPU's GPU  = -55.6640625mv

NVIDIA = Stock (untouched thus far)

Max temps are 69~70*C now under half hour intel stress test.

This half hour of Prime95 has resulted in 78*C, but as even Prime warns, nothing makes your CPU as hot as it does.

I'm also on the 'Silent' fan profile, where it tries NOT to ramp up.

If gaming tonight proves to be stable, I'll be one happy camper.

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,291 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

Does it maintain same stability on battery alone though vs plugged into charger?

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

Good point; I realised it wont turbo under battery, so its a good way to test non turbo stability....

and no :(

That's OK, I'm still happy to experiment. One cool feature about Intel XTU is you can have different profiles for battery and AC power.

So all it means is I have some tuning to do for my battery mode; AC mode is A-OK.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

So, I've dropped the undervolt to

-85 core

-85 cache

-54 graphics.

Just passed 10 minute stress test..... will continue. (on batteries)

Passed another 5 x 10 minute stress tests.

Time for steam.

Regardless, these sort of numbers arent unheard of for a 4700HQ, but for an 4710HQ? Its usually rare to go above -50mv

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 February 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#8 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

wow that really seems like a good chip you got.  Im so use to desktop and adding voltage, its kinda neat to read about how to get the lowest volts for laptop.  I still have a older Asus laptop g50vt with a 9800m gs, its been surprisingly capable for these many years for some light gaming but the thing is like 8lbs!  I thought about even going laptop for desktop replacement with some sli gaming laptop... more just so I stop upgrading all the time!

That intel seems program seems great, nice that you can do profiles for situation!

HAF 912 | ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty-M | Delidded Direct Die 3770k@4.7ghz/1.3v | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB 2400 10-12-12-28 T1 | EK Watercooled CPU | 512GB Vertex 4 & PCI 550GB XtremSF SSDs | 3 x HDD's | EVGA G2 1300W (24/7 OC)

#9 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

Its a Gigabyte P35g V2
(pic)

It sounds like you're getting the performance and screen properties you like, which is awesome.

But that build quality looks cringe-worthy, is it as bad as it looks?
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Its a Gigabyte P35g V2
(pic)

It sounds like you're getting the performance and screen properties you like, which is awesome.

But that build quality looks cringe-worthy, is it as bad as it looks?

Do you mean because it looks similar to cracking open a previous gen Macbook?

3.jpg

Nah. It's not that bad.

No keyboard flex, plenty of screws holding all the boards, expansion slots out the wazoo, hot swap front bay. The only down side its an elantech touchpad, not synaptics.... it's painful. But, usable.

The fans out the rear like that mean the laptop doesnt get hot (to the user), and I've never seen quite as good of a heatsink mounting as that one. Super secure; none of this '4 corners only' nonsense.

Was there a part you thought looked badly done in specific? There's a 2 year warranty.

Aluminium lid, and keyboard\palm area.

Now for the Irony, My screen developed a pixel line at about 11pm last night.

Was sitting at the desk, typing away, and it flickered, I thought I was seeing shit (would be normal with my vision), but then flicker, flicker, solid.

Reboot, still there.

Still there in BIOS, not software.....

Let cool, reboot, not heat, still there.

Dead LCD screen.

Not my fucking luck is it? My god! 

On the flip side, my post is still relevant, because a non serviceable part like an LCD doesn't mean bad build quality, just bad ass luck.

Now I have to remove my SSD, reinstall the HDD, and take it back. I hate dealing with MSY returns. At least its only 2 days old.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 10 February 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#11 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

Was there a part you thought looked badly done in specific? There's a 2 year warranty.
Aluminium lid, and keyboard\palm area.

All the screw points I can see are anchored in plastic bosses.

It can't be avoided, a plastic shell is a plastic shell.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

That's true, but notice how many there are! 

All things like hinges have mutiple well spaced screws.

Goodbye good chip :( You have to go back now, thanks to your bloody screen.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

wow that really seems like a good chip you got.  Im so use to desktop and adding voltage, its kinda neat to read about how to get the lowest volts for laptop.  I still have a older Asus laptop g50vt with a 9800m gs, its been surprisingly capable for these many years for some light gaming but the thing is like 8lbs!  I thought about even going laptop for desktop replacement with some sli gaming laptop... more just so I stop upgrading all the time!

That intel seems program seems great, nice that you can do profiles for situation!

Yep, its damn good.

and now I have my replacement with a non faulty screen, lets see how good this chip is :)

EDIT: So far, Its accepting my previous settings and staying stable as ever. (15 minutes CPU + 15 minutes MEMORY stress test) Memory test maxes out CPU too, so its had 30 minutes of battery test.

ALSO, it seems I've done a better job re-pasting this time; Well maybe.....

1*C lower at idle, and at non-turbo.

3*C higher at turbo speeds...... hmm... that is odd.

Actually,not its not. It's 26-28*C ambient here, and before I was in a controlled 23-25*C room (server room). So, yes, win!

AAAAAAnd just passed 5 minute stress test with turbo (AC power). Looking good!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 10 February 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

I take it back. Its 3*c warmer.... time to try repaste.

Fuck I'm sick of trying to open laptops ><

#15 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

This is great stuff, I don't think I've tried to undervolt before. If I'm playing with those settings it is to overclock and increase those voltage settings.

I wonder if it would be possible to undervolt devices like the Surface Pro? Devices like that could really benefit.

So what is the current situation of your device? CPU and GPU.

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Currently it's warmer than I'd like, but cooler than all reports in the internet.... so I think mine is still good just not a golden child like before.

I'm contacting Gigabyte to see if they'll send me an undamaged heatpipe setup; when I took mine off, it was dented and scratched (not by me); so we'll see.

As of right now, I'm at -86 core, -86 cache, and -56 GPU. I can make the machine throttle when I max out both CPU and GPU, but not when I do one at a time (which is more than can be said for any other current gaming laptop below 3cm thick).

It reaches 90*C on CPU and throttles, GPU doesn't get above 80*C. But that's after about 5 full minutes of stress test on both.

I've been editing my BIOS file and will flash it some time this week.

Gigabyte have a nice option in their BIOS file called "Show Hidden Features". I've enabled that, so I should then get the option to disable Hyperthreading (gaining myself a nice 7*C cooler, I dont need 8 cores on a laptop) and people report up to half an hour more battery.

I also then get actual voltage control too, so I can decrease my dynamic settings (I'd start at -50mv) and then decrease my CPU's ACTUAL voltage, since dynamic doesn't affect idle.

(it unlocks a ton more too :D)

I've been undervolting for a long while. My server (a dual core sempron) run on less than a volt (0.98).

I think my best success was with an old Core2 E1400; I managed an 80mhz OVERCLOCK (yes!), and voltage drop from 1.3v (stock) to 0.78v, stable for 5 hours under PRIME, than for 3 years as my PVR.

Those numbers are all pre-Vdroop too :)

So what is the current situation of your device? CPU and GPU.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 17 February 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#17 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

Seems good to me.

I have a system under the TV that makes too much noise, not very loud, but I want it whisper quiet. I may see if I can undervolt components to reduce heat and then I could reduce fan speed.

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Seems good to me.

I have a system under the TV that makes too much noise, not very loud, but I want it whisper quiet. I may see if I can undervolt components to reduce heat and then I could reduce fan speed.

What are the hardware specs? There are a few 'features' that add stupid levels of heat too which we can tweak.

Things you wouldn't expect, like dropping RAM speed a step or two which is humanly impossible to notice, which then allows you to undervolt the memory, and as such, the on-chip memory controller.

Also, on desktop hardware, even 80~90*C at full load isn't scary.

Even if it halves component life, I have 30 year old CPU's still running strong.

Silencing a fan with a resistor is a daily job for me :P

My i7 920 D0 chip has been at 4.2GHZ now for 7 years.

Maxes out at 97*C at full load.

Loves every second of it!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 17 February 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#19 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

My media pc specs are:

Shuttle XPC SG41J4

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz) with a cheap cooler, quiet though.

RAM: 4 GB G.Skill 1600Mhz

GPU: XFX ATi 5770

PSU: 250W (too low for GPU but still works)

I'm not sure to what levels this system can be undervolted and the main culprit of sound is the GPU.

Even though it has enough power for watching media and even plays games nicely like Injustice: Gods Among Us it sometimes blue screens and most of the time makes a whiny sound. The blue screens are probably due to PSU and the whiny sound is probably the limited case space prevents the GPU from sufficiently keeping itself cool.

I'm considering selling/throwing it and getting a Broadwell based NUC with Intel i3 and an Iris 6100.

If it can be undervolted, I could save cash and help the environment a bit by not adding to landfill. Looking at websites now on how to.

-EDIT-

I've pulled out the GPU, I'm going to start with the CPU undervolt and RAM undervolt. No idea how yet. I will then re-install the GPU and start to undervolt that if I can get some success.

Okay HWMonitor reported max CPU load temp is C1:65 and C2:63. That is hot. Typical value under Prime95 though is C1:60 and C2:59.

Bugger, after all that my BIOS doesn't have options to lower voltage, only increase. RMClock doesn't support my CPU, so no CPU undervolt.

Edited by fabman_uk, 17 February 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#20 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:31 AM

Huh? No undervolt in the BIOS? I've never seen one locked like that on a desktop board.

Can you type the value in manually? some dont let you 'scroll down' but do let you type.

Intel's own XTU supports Core2Duo I believe, so that's worth a shot.

If fan noise is a problem, solder some resistors into the fan power cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users