• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

Now I'm not one to normally worry about temps.

Most solid state electronic devices have a 10 year service life; so even a halving is a 5 year life.

But I'm concerned because laptops are such expensive beasts

The CPU is an I7 4710HQ, and is idling at 55*C.

This looks pretty normal.

Running at non-turbo speeds, it maxes out at about 71~75*C, which is good enough.

At turbo (on AC power) I see up to 85*C. This is quite a bit higher than my replaced laptop (same model, faulty screen).

I get throttling with Furmark running at the same time as IntelXTU; hits 90*C and throttles 10% but the GPU is bloody cool running (75-80*C).

I can only come to two conclusions.

1. The CPU has too much\little paste.

2. the GPU is BETTER cooled in this one, therefore the CPU is absorbing all that heat (shared twin heatpipe).

What do we think? I've tried 3 repastes, and this is the closest to 'as good as it was' as I can get.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Are these temps reported by on-chip sensor or external?  External could mean variance between same sensor type or maybe they started using another.

Maybe even the same CPU has a certain expected variance among chips or even individual cores.

(a bit of assuming going on here that we're talking same model laptop A vs B)

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

On chip sensor. and yes identical laptops, just replaced due to a faulty screen.

To be fair, if I compare them to this guys tests:

http://forum.noteboo...ormance.755392/

I'm a lot cooler, in a lot hotter room (says 27* tonight)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

1. could also cause 2.

Take the battery out and test on AC only.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

really cant be bothered disassembling the laptop again to get the battey out.

If i'm going to bother I'll just 3rd time repaste.

I used a line about the size of half a bamboo skewer on the CPU and a thin 'X' pattern across the GPU

#6 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Oh it's an inbuilt battery. In that case don't remove it.

I'd just put a small blob in the middle and let it spread itself under the pressure of the mount. Well, I'd just not pull it apart in the first place tbh. :P

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#7 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

You have to pull the chassis apart to remove the battery? o.0
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Yes, it takes up half the chassis. Its like a previous gen macbook inside.

Blob in the middle isn't wise without a heatspreader, because its a Loooong rectangle, lol

#9 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

Does the CPU make contact with the HSF without the compound?

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

It looks like it does, yes. See I think I'm being paranoid. Every removal so far has had perfect signs of contact\spread, lol.

#11 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Unless it's overheating just leave it. I'm fairly sure it's rated to function up to (and probably over) 100C.

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:59 PM

well yes its overheating, hence the throttle.

The first example didnt throttle at all. Oh well. it seems to be in line (a bit better) than everyone else on the interwebs.

I repasted one more time and got 1*C cooler CPU; it'll do. I also turned the maximum multiplier down one step for 4 core; keeps it pretty stable. Can't complain :)

#13 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:15 AM

Theres also those laptop coolers for underneath that really do cool down pretty well.  I used it before but of course it only good for when its on the desktop and if you have external key/mouse connected since it raises the height a bit.  

This is the one I have: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834992853

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ 4ghz | PowerColor RX 56 (RX 64 Bios) @ 1600c/945mhz | EVGA RAM @ 2933mhz  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#14 mudjimba

mudjimba

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

Cooling module/heatsink could be toast. They are consumable parts.

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Yeah the heatsink looks nasty compared to the first one.

This one has scrapes from the GPU core and a few deep gouges from god knows what.

I might contact Gigabyte and see if they'll send me a new one (heatsink, not laptop).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users