• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

This Sunday 22/03, St Stephens, Church St, Newtown, just inside the gates near the fig tree.  At 3pm. Free. Pick and choose what is of interest in subset.

Heya... an atomican (who can identify themselves :) )  was posting photos taken in Camperdown Cemetery (off Church St, Newtown) and I mentioned that I help run the monthly tours there as part run by the Camperdown Cemetery Trust (first Sunday of the month, 11.30am from behind the church, $10).

So... if you've ever been curious about that beautiful old cemetery that surrounds St Stephen's church, here is a special only atomican tour which I'll run just me and any curious atomicans. St Stephen's is that beautiful old stone church building where you can see the spire from most places around Newtown and the surrounding suburbs right in the middle of Camperdown park. It's just off Church St that runs off King St.

So I suggest say a Sunday afternoon - opening bid 22nd March? Meet say 3pm at the beautiful fig tree at the front just inside. **Free**.

I'll flip it around and do the most important and interesting ones first (Dunbar, Donnithorn, etc) and then other interesting stories and then if people have had enough at any point they can slip off early to the local pub (pick one... so many within throwing distance) and I'll keep going for any interested before we join you.

If there are any particular graves of interest let me know beforehand in case they are not the regular graves so I can per-research them. There is a lot of history in there so we only do a sample that might interest people typically.

I never thought I would be interested in history but now I look at places around Newtown and Sydney and I think about them in a different way. It's surprisingly interesting. It kind of connects you to where you live in a different way.

Interest? Different dates?

GAH.

I HAVE OFFENDED THE GRAMMAR GODS (and myself).

Someone with POWAH please remove that excessive apostrophe from the title.

Well at least I think it's wrong. It's one of those things that when I look at it I wonder if it's so wrong after all... maybe... gah...

Edited by Catmosphere, 21 March 2015 - 01:53 PM.

"Sometimes when you're in a dark place you think you've been buried. But actually you've been planted"

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,210 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

If I'd known that - and you were doing it back when I was up there poking around the cemetery last - I would've already asked!
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

If I'd known that - and you were doing it back when I was up there poking around the cemetery last - I would've already asked!

Oh no big deal, any time. Let me know when you have an hour free to wander around there on the weekend and I'll point out some stuff.

Actually several times we have wanted to make the tour 'online' in some way. By the time you get around to it I will hopefully be able to say 'do this'

And thanks for removing the offensive apostrophe from the title!

"Sometimes when you're in a dark place you think you've been buried. But actually you've been planted"

#4 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,434 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

This still on offer?

I might be interested if you are. Let me know when.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#5 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

hmmm.  I might not be able to make it, *BUT* I've been thinking of sending Fenn up that way for an IKEA shop.  I'll suggest this to her..

AD

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#6 Squidy

Squidy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 43,794 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

I'd hit it

#7 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Oh sure... I can do the 22nd of March still. 3pm. Meet at the fig tree just inside the front drive.

Would love to see you Chaos, Squidy or Fenn. And anyone else. A nice relaxed afternoon. :)  Will confirm again nearer the day, and if people can't make it then no matter  - I could do another one at any time.

#8 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,434 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Cool.  Mark me down for the moment. :)

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#9 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

/wigglebump

THIS COMING SUNDAY!  (how did that happen??? It's almost APRIL??!??!?)

Just one person and I'll happy make sure this happens. I live in the area so this is easy for me. Yes/no/maybe?

#10 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

Well I will wander past at 3pm tomorrow and sit under the figtree near the cottage. If anyone shows up we'll go for a wander on the interesting stuff.

Otherwise I will wander (with book in hand) to the Shenkin cafe for a bit if there is seating.

#11 Catmosphere

Catmosphere

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

It's drizzling and not pouring. If it goes from one to the other there are comfy pubs nearby :)  Bring a brolly.

Lovely peaceful place. Even more peaceful when people are scared of a bit of damp... and it adds to the kind of artistry and mood of the graveyard itself.

My number to SMS me on : 0408408865  If you ring me I might answer too.

#12 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,434 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Very fun.  Lots of interesting history right on the doorstep!

Thanks Catmosphere for spending the time showing me around. :)

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users