• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

I just found this jem on my facebook wall.  As I read through I found myself nodding at every sentence.  It so articulately details the life of the programmer, what we do, and what problems we face.    And it's a bit funny.  But it's still 100% accurate.

http://stilldrinking...ogramming-sucks

Edited by kikz, 20 February 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,713 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

Good material, but the author needs to learn how to use whitespace outside of code - ie: paragraph breaks: they're not just a \n now and then. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#3 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

I've heard so many horror stories. I'm fortunate enough to work with a team of coders that care about what is written, and it's done in a functional language which helps considerably. Harder to fuck shit up if your code has very specific areas that handle side effects. Also easier to reason about what everything does. Also tests. :P

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#4 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

Yeah functional languages do make it easier to protect from unintended side-effects.  the average programmer just doesn't get functional languages tho - and the average program doesn't lend itself to functional programmes (by average program I mean line of business stuff)

I've been to a good number of places of employment over the years and disappointingly a lot of programmers are not super awesome.  It's not so much the programmers that cause hte problem though, it's the constantly changing business demands and that often, especially in larger enterprises it seems the people calling the business shots are too ... errr. smart. --- at least, they don't understand the impact of what they say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users