• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

There'll be beer! Food! Overclocking! A chance to match yourself against Team Immunity! Intel, GIGABYTE, MSI, Synology, and SteelSeries! Stuff and things!

Also, prizes. And yes, I will likely throw things at the crowd and wave my arms a lot.

http://www.pcauthori...alia-event.aspx

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Love to! Not happening. :( Next year, perhaps.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#3 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Poo!

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#4 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

i would come along but with such short notice its not possible.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#5 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

I keep forgetting you guys really don't pay attention to the site any more :( 

*epic sads*

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

*epic sads*

Well, there is the loss of the original mag, sure. But there's also the "pensioner, in Adelaide" bit to factor in. (although I'm now in Mt Gambier, Code is still there.) It takes a fair bit of lead time to get all the ducks to line up.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

*epic sads*

You have to admit it's a little below a lot of us, where Atomic wasn't.

To this day I remember my first 'in depth' study of atomic. I'd read a few, but it was in the AMD 3500 days, where you explored cache, speeds, benchmarks, price, and just so many factors for my young mind to take in. It was intoxicating. May have been issue 36?

Now, you still do a basic benchmark and value, but things like exploring architecture or dismantling identical  performing products to... i dunno.. check for quality of soldering? Are long gone.

It's been too long since I've seen a Frisbee Mark.

I still skim the magazine. I'm still subscribed. But its not an exciting thing to receive.

It's moved from something I'd carry with me all week to re-read every chance I get, to bath and or toilet reading.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 04 March 2015 - 10:16 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 neoprint

neoprint

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

Pay for my flights to Sydney and we've got a deal.

Xeon X5650@4.6GHz | Asus P6T-Deluxe V2 | 12GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback | Samsung 830 128GB | MSI Radeon R9 290

#9 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, MS, I feel you.

Ya know, we'd got three editorial staff, now, doing two monthly mags, one quarterly mag, and two (well, four, really) websites. I really hate the lack of proper benching myself, but I know I can't afford a whole day, even an afternoon, in the labs any more.

And yeah, I know the travelling thing is tough, folks :)

#10 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

MS, another factor is that none of this stuff matters anymore. Physical properties of a chip, including soldering quality, have no significance worth worrying about. The only thing I can think of is how the IHS is attached to the die (compound vs soldered), and that involves destroying a chip that PC&TA probably doesn't own.

Benchmarks are pointless unless the test involves part of your workflow, e.g. the exact games that you play. Measuring CPU/GPU performance synthetically rarely has any worthwhile correlation with real world usage. They're there to make people feel good.

Discussing the architecture and other academic analysis are at least good reading. Also very difficult unless you have a background in computer engineering.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#11 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

I jump on the front page occasionally when I notice something interesting come up on social media or on here. But going to Sydney? Well if you wanted me there you should have arranged the event for before I started a new job and have no leave accrued! : p
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#12 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Would have loved to be going. Was doing some reading on INTEL EDISON looks like a Raspberry PI sort of setup. Starting to get a big following by the looks of the webpages.

If you had told me last November then i would have had time to Organise a trip to where? Sydney? or Melbourne i can use my Train pass and get %50 off the fare. Stuff Aircraft may as travel naked in a plane if they want to strip search me.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Measuring CPU/GPU performance synthetically rarely has any worthwhile correlation with real world usage. They're there to make people feel good.

Discussing the architecture and other academic analysis are at least good reading. Also very difficult unless you have a background in computer engineering.

I agree wholeheartedly; but you have to admit, people spend a LOT of money on things that "Make people feel good".

Marketing to something people like, even if slightly irrelevant, is always a good bet IMO.

And I dont disagree with things like architecture being something for the ultra nerds either; I wasnt saying it should be there, I was simply pointing out why, in my personal opinion, the forum reader base didnt fall in line with the website reader base.

I do however, still read the magazine. I like the writers and their wit a lot of the time, the article content is a nice bonus.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#14 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,435 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:07 AM

Ummmm... WHY the heck is this 18+ only???

That kinda limits some of us... :(

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#15 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

Ummmm... WHY the heck is this 18+ only???

That kinda limits some of us... :(

Wow, CL - you were less than 8 years old when I first saw you here? Damn! ;)

#16 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,435 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

HA!

I've been 17 for at least 20 years damnnit! :P

But on a more serious note - seriously?  The average age of IT nerds and gamers is like 35.  Well old enough to be family type peoples...

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 07 March 2015 - 12:26 PM.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#17 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

The average age of IT nerds and gamers is like 35.  Well old enough to be family type peoples...

Yes, but you can't make nearly such a good joke about that. ;p

#18 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

It's 18+ because we're serving alcohol :)

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

It's 18+ because we're serving alcohol :)

and the Women in tight chested T_Shirts.

#20 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

Those aren't women, code.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users