Photo

Holding off upgrading till Skylake, but is Skylake a big deal?

skylake upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

So the link below states that the architectural jump from Broadwell to Skylake is the same as Pentium 4 to Core 2:

http://wccftech.com/...rescott-conroe/

Now I don't believe this yet because there is no source given also that jump was massive, that was a phenomenal increase in CPU efficiency and performance. Though, just because there is a large change in the architecture of the CPU it doesn't mean there will be as large increase in performance again, in fact, it could be a temporary step back.

I just wondered what information people here know about Skylake and where those sources of information are.

My main PC uses an overclocked 1st generation Core i5-750, it supports USB 3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s and up to 4 GPU's. Since then, I haven't seen a system worth upgrading too, so I haven't. If Skylake doesn't offer anything more, I'll still keep holding off.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,023 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:24 PM

Hard to say what's coming but could throw some educated guesses around:

- DDR4 support.

- Move away from L3 cache, more focus on increased amount of L1/L2.

- Pipelining/prediction improvements.

- ALU improvements.

The P4 to Core/2 jump was sort of easy when looking at it from an IPC standpoint.  The early P4 incarnations were murdered by the 32-bit Athlons at the same speed, Athlon64 was a small increment on that and Core2 was a double-percentage increment on that.  But if there is a significant leap without price increase from current i3/5/7 to the next generation then it's a good thing.

#3 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

Here is what I know:

- DDR4 (First supported with Haswell, negligible improvements over DDR3)

- PCI Express 4.0 (Negligible improvements for GPUs)

- Thunderbolt 3.0

- SATA Express

- DMI 3.0 (???)

- GPU improvements

- L4 cache size support remains same compared to Haswell, so will L3 change?

- Instruction sets enhancements

Features are not too exciting for a desktop user with a dedicated GPU, perhaps the architectural enchantments will bring greater performance otherwise still nothing to write home about since Sandy Bridge brought an 11% performance improvement.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,023 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

Hard to say.

Initial implementations of new Ram types are often barely better than the previous.  My first LGA775 board was DDR/DDR2, and I ran old DDR for a while - comparitive benchmarks had such a slight margin it barely justified the expense to change.

Better PCIe and various bus types is good but it's often the case that they're barely being pushed anyway.

You can't really quantify an overall system performance improvement by just assuming faster bus communications will make the overall system zippier.  But with that sort of thing, the overall system architecture as in what extra hardware is installed can make a big difference.

#5 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

I concur. I just hope it is a significant upgrade as I have an itchy finger.

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,023 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

64 to 128 Meg - that's a buttload of L4 cache.  Without changing anything else that's practically a P4 to Core type leap.

#7 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

I think that the L4 cache is only for Enterprise systems. Haswell supported it as well so I assume Broadwell does, if it even has enterprise systems.

#8 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,669 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

Did you end up getting one?

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skylake, upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users