• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

I recently learnt that if you ask in Live Chat on the HIDE.ME webpage, they'll give you a 35% off code.

Making it about 100AUD for a year.

I'm reading all I can, and so far Hide.Me seems to offer the best protocols at a good price...

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Went through HIDE.me.

Asked for a discount before registering and they gave me a URL to go through to register my account and get a 25% discount on initial year (US$105). US$140 per year afterwards.
If I think of it, I can cancel the account and get a new account with a discount again.

Having trouble getting the NAS to use connect through it though.

Reality is just an illusion brought on by a lack of alcohol.

WoT quote: "DishD (5:45:44 PM) ur a bad man Opy, funny as fuk but very Bad!"

QUOTE (Mac Dude @ May 15 2014, 06:47 PM) * I'm in. I'm so serious about this that I've already had 2 practice losses!

#23 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

Went through HIDE.me.

Asked for a discount before registering and they gave me a URL to go through to register my account and get a 25% discount on initial year (US$105). US$140 per year afterwards.
If I think of it, I can cancel the account and get a new account with a discount again.

Having trouble getting the NAS to use connect through it though.

Best way is to set it in your router, that way EVERYTHING goes through it.

My home internet is through a VPN, and I have a 4G dongle for 'speed' and 'no VPN' when needed.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#24 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

DD-WRT is not available for my Netgear D6200 modem/router.  The R6200 firmware will disable the modem functionality.
I may look into the Billion tonight.

I'll probably cancel the account and go through a cheaper option. Found some last night that have 'good enough' reviews for a 3rd the price.

QUOTE (Mac Dude @ May 15 2014, 06:47 PM) * I'm in. I'm so serious about this that I've already had 2 practice losses!

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

DD-WRT is not available for my Netgear D6200 modem/router.  The R6200 firmware will disable the modem functionality.
I may look into the Billion tonight.

I'll probably cancel the account and go through a cheaper option. Found some last night that have 'good enough' reviews for a 3rd the price.

Do share :)

#26 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

Have a look at http://www.vpn-provi...et/best-vpn.php to drill down into your preferences a bit.

https://www.privatei.../pages/buy-vpn/
Known as PIA, quite popular
US$39.95/yr

7 day money back

https://www.ipvanish.com/
US$78/yr

7 day money back

https://www.hidemyass.com/

US$42/yr

30 day money back

Insane amount of servers

https://www.purevpn.com/order

US$30/yr on a 2 year plan
7 day money back

#27 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Signed up with PIA Last night.  Now having a hell of a time setting up the router to do what I want. OpenWRT and Linux in general are definitely not my areas of expertise. Neither is networking for that matter.

Speaking of PIA, I just found this article https://torrentfreak...bi-case-160312/
which talks about the FBI demanding usage info about a user.  Unfortunately for the FBI and the company trying to stop someone, PIA hold no usage logs.

#28 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

I'm on PIA as well.

No hiccups here.

Looks like I'll need a new router as well if I want to use popcorn time on my old Kodi laptop....

Edited by bushi, 15 August 2016 - 10:26 AM.

http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#29 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

a 5 eyes country providing a vpn? hmmmm.....

#30 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

I've been using BTGuard (https://btguard.com/) for years now.  I find it really good.  Never had speed issues and it has always been reliable.

When I looked, I looked for one whose HQ wasn't US based and who didn't keep logs.

Price is pretty reasonable as well.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#31 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

I just can't go past Hide.Me for both their good software, instant support and their 'Correct' countries\laws.

I dont care what they say, 5 eyes countries with 'No Logs' is bullshit. Just because THEY'RE not keeping logs.

I don't fucking know why I care, I don't DO anything ILLEGAL!! It's just the fucking tinfoil hat seeping into my braaaaaain

#32 chrisjohnson

chrisjohnson

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:25 PM

https://www.purevpn.com/order

US$30/yr on a 2 year plan
7 day money back

i am using PureVPN since past couple of years. It cheap as well as it's good for online security and privacy.

Edited by chrisjohnson, 06 September 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#33 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:54 PM

I've been using IVPN. It's easy to set up. You literally just enter your username and password and in a couple of seconds you're connected. It's also very fast, the fastest I've used. If you pay by the year it's $100 US, by the month it's $15 US. I'm really happy with it so far. I'm thinking of giving HIDE.ME a try once my current month runs out, but I can't see it being much better than this. I'm just curious to see if it is in fact faster, as that's what they're claiming.

I should add that they have very reputable reputation from what I've read about them.  

Edited by disolusiond, 15 September 2016 - 01:44 AM.

#34 alexis07

alexis07

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

I use Vyprvpn they are one of oldest and best provider in speed and security, however they are not cheap.. some sites like vpntrends.com give positive reviews to HMA or Purevpn but they seems shady..

Edited by alexis07, 05 December 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

I use Vyprvpn they are one of oldest and best provider in speed and security, however they are not cheap.. some sites like vpntrends.com give positive reviews to HMA or Purevpn but they seems shady..

Why do they seem shady?

I'm still looking at hide dot me as the top of the list so far....

#36 alexis07

alexis07

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

Why do they seem shady?

I'm still looking at hide dot me as the top of the list so far....

Because some reviews claim purevpn is scam and not refund money on request when not satisfied with their service, asking you to provide ID or passport which is crazy. Also they have slow servers, connection drops.. maybe they are cheap but most likely not good. I would add nordvpn they seems to be very popular recently

#37 smithjoe1

smithjoe1

Guru

• Hero
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

You can always roll your own which is less likely to get detected in the usual vpn sweeps. A remote linux system to act as a linux node, any webhost can offer this and some even take bitcoin for extra anonymity. A SSH tunnel via putty with some facility for SOCKS forwarding on the client to said remote system provides a way to hide the handshake packets. Then run an openvpn server on the remote system and have the openvpn client run to 127.0.0.1:XXX, where XXX is the forwarded socks proxy port on the ssh tunnel. This is the only way I've managed to get proper VPN access through the great firewall anyway. All someone snooping in can see is a bunch of double encrypted traffic.

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter.

#38 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

You can always roll your own which is less likely to get detected in the usual vpn sweeps. A remote linux system to act as a linux node, any webhost can offer this and some even take bitcoin for extra anonymity. A SSH tunnel via putty with some facility for SOCKS forwarding on the client to said remote system provides a way to hide the handshake packets. Then run an openvpn server on the remote system and have the openvpn client run to 127.0.0.1:XXX, where XXX is the forwarded socks proxy port on the ssh tunnel. This is the only way I've managed to get proper VPN access through the great firewall anyway. All someone snooping in can see is a bunch of double encrypted traffic.

Very true :)

I ended up with the above one I mentioned.

Its stupid quick.

If I set my location BEFORE starting a download (like driver packs from HP, with servers in Taiwan) then its WAY quicker to use it. Brilliant service.

#39 Hrycanko_55

Hrycanko_55

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Joyous to know about these vpn recommendations. There are many tech review sites which give unbiased reviews about different vpn service providers. These sites really helped me in finding out best vpn service providers and using one among them.

Edited by Hrycanko_55, 03 June 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#40 JustinDeTorres

JustinDeTorres

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

I love HMA Pro VPN to protect my identity. Highly Rated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users